Can you negotiate on a new car....?

mikey88

Yes,you should try and negotiate,nothing to lose,everything to gain,

most of the major car brands have several showrooms ,so if you

cannot get what you want from one' try another dealer.

If you don't ask,you won't get,thats for sure.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

You might search the local Big C/Tesco malls... Many dealer show thier cars there and would be most likely to have incentives... If your looking for a big Cheap Charlie price cut you will. be disappointed... I would ask for free year of insurance, licensing and window tints...

Btw - If you do get a year of insurance from the dealer make sure you get a competitive quote for the following year...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

Some manufacturers here give good discounts others not so....after playing off one Nissan dealer with another I (we,me and my thai GF) we got a 40,000 discount on a 530,000 Almera (paid cash) plus ins/tints/mats.

If you don,t ask you will not get...up to you :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It's been 4 years since I bought my truck, a new vehicle. I looked a every major brand, narrowed it down to 2, with the Ford Ranger being my first choice. My wife and I went into the office to negotiate, they refused to deal at all, the sales lady said that she would give up a bit of her commission but that wasn't sufficient in my opinion. We went to Toyota, they dropped their price by 50,000 baht right away. I used the 50,000 to purchase an automatic transmission, so I guess some will and some won't.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

It's been 4 years since I bought my truck, a new vehicle. I looked a every major brand, narrowed it down to 2, with the Ford Ranger being my first choice. My wife and I went into the office to negotiate, they refused to deal at all, the sales lady said that she would give up a bit of her commission but that wasn't sufficient in my opinion. We went to Toyota, they dropped their price by 50,000 baht right away. I used the 50,000 to purchase an automatic transmission, so I guess some will and some won't.

a couple of years ago 1Toyota dealer would give only the usual extras but no discount, another added a 40k discount, the 3rd 50k (all were in Chiang mai) and then one in Chiang rai offered 65k discount.

Ford usually don't give discounts. I think it has to do with the fact that there are less Ford dealers so less competition

• Like 1

when i first arrived here over 10 years ago it was useless trying to negotiate with them.

maybe reading some replies there is a LITTLE room to move now but i dont think much..

i went to Toyota on By-Pass Road Phuket, ordered a top of the line Fortuner back then

so its say 1.4 mill thb i said ok so how much if i buy 2 as i need 2 vehicles, they are either plain

stupid or just have no sense of the word negotiate, answer was OK SAME PRICE THB 1.4 EACH..

i then went to Honda as thought ok take a CRV for about same price but smaller then Toyota...

same as what happened in Toyota no discount.

pissed me off so i bought one from each in the end with nil discounts..

i think Bangkok you have much better opportunity to negotiate and deal...

in Australia we would just play one dealer off against the other. and always get a great discount

on new car prices..

Hi:  Does anyone recommend buying a used 2005 M/B SLK200?  I believe that the mechanical repairs would be outrageous (Koh Samui).  The lowest price I found was 1M THB  (approx. $32k).  In the US on autotrader.com, prices are around $5-7k.  I know that import taxes are outrageous but 600%?  Even though I hated living in the US, I was always spoiled with luxurious cars at reasonable prices.  Since I prefer to live in Thailand, I guess I will have to stick to my Suzuki Swift.

35 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Hi:  Does anyone recommend buying a used 2005 M/B SLK200?  I believe that the mechanical repairs would be outrageous (Koh Samui).  The lowest price I found was 1M THB  (approx. $32k).  In the US on autotrader.com, prices are around $5-7k.  I know that import taxes are outrageous but 600%?  Even though I hated living in the US, I was always spoiled with luxurious cars at reasonable prices.  Since I prefer to live in Thailand, I guess I will have to stick to my Suzuki Swift.

?  I don't recommend it...

I think this country is generally better suited for smaller cars.

Nothing wrong with a swift in my opinion at least you have wheels and can fit in smaller parking spaces.

By all means. First tell them to take all that unnecessary rubbish off the package, be it plastic chairs, free 1st class insurance, foot mats and stickers around the car. 
Then visit various dealers and, if you're flexible on colour then you walk with upto 12% discount away. Did so with a Honda and lately with an Isuzu; not all dealers sell the same model equally well. In my case I went from Sattahip via Pattaya, Laem Chabang, Sriracha upto Chonburi. Got the best deals in Chonburi. 
So luck can be yours; 1st class insurance you compare premium prices and it is questionable, if you need a rollover bar valued (as per the dealer) at Baht 25'000 - just saying!

1 hour ago, aussieinphuket said:

when i first arrived here over 10 years ago it was useless trying to negotiate with them.

maybe reading some replies there is a LITTLE room to move now but i dont think much..

i went to Toyota on By-Pass Road Phuket, ordered a top of the line Fortuner back then

so its say 1.4 mill thb i said ok so how much if i buy 2 as i need 2 vehicles, they are either plain

stupid or just have no sense of the word negotiate, answer was OK SAME PRICE THB 1.4 EACH..

i then went to Honda as thought ok take a CRV for about same price but smaller then Toyota...

same as what happened in Toyota no discount.

pissed me off so i bought one from each in the end with nil discounts..

i think Bangkok you have much better opportunity to negotiate and deal...

in Australia we would just play one dealer off against the other. and always get a great discount

on new car prices..

I used to do the same but being a cynic I wonder if it wasn't all set up with the manufacturers as no one I knew ever paid the advertised price

I had a friend who had a electrical home appliance store part of a large chain he told me that they could sell stuff at cost as they got rebates from the manufacturers which was their profit

Maybe the same with cars?

definitely, just bought a nissan 4 door navara, got 100,000 baht off the recommended retail price, wasnt happy with the price of the trade in off our car either  so they ended up giving us quite a few extras instead to make it up. Very happy with the deal we got, you dont know until you actually hit them up

On 5/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

From my experience, the dealer has a printed out price list and the only "wiggle room" for the customer is what many posters refer to as "freebies" which are in no way free.

The price is generally set  but as worgeordie suggests you can always ask for a negotiated price.

2 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

In the early 90's, the accountants at Mercedes started sharpening their pencils. The inevitable result was MB quality went spiralling downwards. Now, all they are selling on is the cachet of a three-pointed star.

IMHO a Mazda 6 or Hyundai Sonata has all the same bells and whistles, better product quality, and a significantly lower new car price. Or looking at the sporty versions, a new Kia Stinger wipes the floor with a new SLK200, at about half the price.

It's no secret car prices in Thailand are a rigged market. And yes, maintenance and repairs on Mercs have always been expensive.

1 hour ago, seajae said:

definitely, just bought a nissan 4 door navara, got 100,000 baht off the recommended retail price, wasnt happy with the price of the trade in off our car either  so they ended up giving us quite a few extras instead to make it up. Very happy with the deal we got, you dont know until you actually hit them up

Good job!

My experience is Thai buyers will not try to negotiate much on cars.

My friend just bought a new Mitsubishi yesterday.  He sold cars for 20 years and is a good negotiator.  He said he got 50,000 off the asking, GPS and a few other things. He claimed he actually left the dealership at one point and they called him back an hour later.

So, it is possible.

I have found that there is no negotiation in the list price. Where the deal starts is how many extras can you get for your money. These include skirts, tinted windows, leather seats, mats, insurance etc. When purchasing a Honda Jazz in Bangkok back in 2015, the first dealer offered around 10 extras and the one we went for offered us 13 sweeteners. 

There may well be dealers who will quibble on price but like anything, it depends where you are and how much time you are prepared to spend going round dealerships.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 9:26 AM, sfokevin said:

You might search the local Big C/Tesco malls... Many dealer show thier cars there and would be most likely to have incentives... If your looking for a big Cheap Charlie price cut you will. be disappointed... I would ask for free year of insurance, licensing and window tints...

Btw - If you do get a year of insurance from the dealer make sure you get a competitive quote for the following year...

Isnt the insurance normally provided? All the cars me and my family have had include a years full insurance

On 5/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, ramrod711 said:

I would say it depends on who you are dealing with.

We had the reverse happen to us, i.e. we went into the Toyota dealership, my wife said to the salesman, my husband wants IS going to buy a car today, he is going to pay cash, he has asked me to ask you ONCE and once only, what the best price you can do for him on this car, be warned, if he hears you cannot do him a better price, you just lost a hot customer. His reply was can I have your number, once he took my wife's number, he also gave her his card, and said; if you don't find what you are looking for, call me, he obviously farked his chances with a stupid play like that.

We drove down the road to Ford, same process, I was looking at the Ford Ranger, it was 835,000 baht, the sales managers reply was; you will buy today for cash, yes, ok, I give you 12 months registrations, rubber mats, line the rear tray for you, wind resisters on all windows, 12 months full insurance, all for 800,000 baht today, done deal I said.

The way I have always seen things, even in Thailand, if you have the money, you are in control, if the ones that want to take a bigger slice of the cake, well they miss out, others will take a smaller piece, you just have to play the game.

Coincidentally later that afternoon the salesman from Toyota called and asked my wife if we found anything, she said yes and told him about the above, he said, look go and get your deposit back and come and see me, my wife's reply was short and swift, you had your chance, don't call me again, we have purchased the Ford.

Always go for a better price, if they don't drop their pants, move on, don't give them another chance, that's my way anyway.

• Like 2

I just bought a new top-spec Hilux, 2.8G 4x4 AT, and got 60k baht that was characterized as a down payment bonus, plus all the regular extras like tint, insurance, bed liner, air deflectors and 2 years standard maintenance, which I was pretty satisfied with.  But they kinda screwed things up and set up the financing deal with the down payment being the value of our trade in rather than the value minus what we owed, so we're ending up paying an extra 120,000 out of pocket down which was a bit of a rude surprise after we watched our trade in drive away.

34 minutes ago, cacahootie said:

I just bought a new top-spec Hilux, 2.8G 4x4 AT, and got 60k baht that was characterized as a down payment bonus, plus all the regular extras like tint, insurance, bed liner, air deflectors and 2 years standard maintenance, which I was pretty satisfied with.  But they kinda screwed things up and set up the financing deal with the down payment being the value of our trade in rather than the value minus what we owed, so we're ending up paying an extra 120,000 out of pocket down which was a bit of a rude surprise after we watched our trade in drive away.

You mean a car dealer behaved unethically?

On 5/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Here where there is only one dealer for each maker, they will not generally shift on price, but they may offer other incentives like insurance or add on gadgets.

I had Toyota dealer say he would drop the price for a pickup by 60,000 baht, but when I looked carefully he just reduced the deposit and included that money in the payments. Ended up buying an Altis with no discount but all the usual so called freebies. Better off buying a used car from farang with service records.

My wife got a good deal on a Honda City a few years back by being patient. She knew someone that backed out of the delivery of a new car and lost part of their down payment. The dealer sold it at a steep discount and rather quickly. If I recall correctly her friend was only responsible for the markdown in price to the new customer plus some handling fee.

So she figured something like that might happen again and frequented the local Honda dealers looking for a new City in a similar situation. Well, it worked, she even got the color she wanted plus the car was fully loaded with just about everything you can think of. I even removed some of the junk because a lot of it was a bunch of crap. She got more than 100,000 Baht off the price and all of the accessories were free plus one years insurance.

My guess is that to Thais there must be some stigma or bad luck associated with such undelivered cars. There must be some reason for the generous markdown. I assume the dealer just wants to get rid of them and they don't seem to be taking a loss. I would have thought that friends and family of the dealer would have reaped the benefits.