Present for mother of new baby

dick dasterdly

Sorry,  I'm a little confused. Do you want to buy something for the mother or the baby? For the baby there are many possibilities. There are kits you can buy for newborns containing baby lotion, shampoo, powder, socks etc. Clothes for a newborn are available everywhere including most major supermarkets and shopping malls. Perhaps a baby rocker chair or bath or mosquito net/cover. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Sorry,  I'm a little confused. Do you want to buy something for the mother or the baby? For the baby there are many possibilities. There are kits you can buy for newborns containing baby lotion, shampoo, powder, socks etc. Clothes for a newborn are available everywhere including most major supermarkets and shopping malls. Perhaps a baby rocker chair or bath or mosquito net/cover. 

I wasn't sure which would be most appropriate/appreciated, hence the ambiguity of the question!

I've never noticed 'baby kits', but then I haven't been looking.

Many thanks. I'll take a look at the baby section of Villa Market and Tesco tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I wasn't sure which would be most appropriate/appreciated, hence the ambiguity of the question!

Many thanks. I'll take a look at the baby section of Villa Market and Tesco tomorrow.

Many hospitals give out baby kits to the mother .

Why not get a big soft white towel, with a hood on it , for thebaby ?

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I'll take a look, but again - it's not something I've ever seen in a local supermarket.

It's one of those odd situations.  I barely know the mother, even though she lives sort of 'next door'.  The neighbours have always been very pleasant on the very few occasions we see each other (basically, we wave and smile).  I only knew she had a new baby 'cos she gave me a bunch of lychees a few days ago and had a newborn in her arms!

Can simply give money and tell the mother to buy the baby something. We had a new baby arrive next door yesterday. We gave baby shampoo,baby powder, baby wipes, and baby oil. We already gave them little baby clothes and protective gloves for hands and feet.

Just now, lovelomsak said:

Can simply give money and tell the mother to buy the baby something. We had a new baby arrive next door yesterday. We gave baby shampoo,baby powder, baby wipes, and baby oil. We already gave them little baby clothes and protective gloves for hands and feet.

I'm not about to give them money as 1) it still seems a little bit insulting from my Western POV 2) I barely know them!  But I think you and Dmaxdan are right that a basket of baby stuff is the way to go.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, dick dasterdly said:

Ask her (the mother) what she would like.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:12 AM, dick dasterdly said:

I'll take a look, but again - it's not something I've ever seen in a local supermarket.

It's one of those odd situations.  I barely know the mother, even though she lives sort of 'next door'.  The neighbours have always been very pleasant on the very few occasions we see each other (basically, we wave and smile).  I only knew she had a new baby 'cos she gave me a bunch of lychees a few days ago and had a newborn in her arms!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

As mentioned above, I barely know them - but feel obligated to give them something after the unexpected gift of lychees.

I couldn't find a basket of baby products in the local 'supermarkets' I visited today,  but will buy a few baby items as a gift.

Nappies !!!!... 

Yes, it seems daft... but Nappies are the 'go to' present for the families of new-borns. 

When our son was born we were given so many packs of nappies I don't think we had to buy any for the first year !!!... 

Thus if you don't really know the couple well but feel obliged to visit them and don't wish to turn up empty handed... Nappies are the thing to take. My Wife and I take nappies whenever we visit new parents in hospital. Closer friends will do something more traditional and offer little gold for the child and perhaps an amulet, other friends have provided Baby clothes, squeaky infant toys etc...

• Like 1