Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, balo said:

You want a real and healthy breakfast ? 

Try this German breakfast in Pattaya , or have it for lunch . 149 baht . 

maxresdefault.jpg

that does look nice for a change, where is that ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, balo said:

Didn't you read the headline?  

"western expat" he does not speak for all of us! 

1 minute ago, poanoi said:

that does look nice for a change, where is that ?

That looks nice, I quite like German food.

The only problem being, all that ham is loaded-up with sodium nitrite, not good, or healthy.

Just now, Andrew65 said:

The only problem being, all that ham is loaded-up with sodium nitrite, not good, or healthy.

Sausages is not good for you either.

My rule number 1 is not eat too much of anything and you'll be just fine.  I do not eat this every day . 

1 hour ago, AYJAYDEE said:

perhaps but I have never known any nationality so obsessed with their previous home as the Brits

Wow- you seem to have a real (egg and) chip on your shoulder about the Brits (and no I'm not one). Care to share with us where you come from?

I know what my first and second guess will be!

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

in case this isnt some sort of joke i dont get:

in 13 years i have never heard of Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart

Must be some British food outlets, I never heard about them and been here over a decade as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Just to clarify, an American breakfast in the USA is just breakfast (lots of variations) but almost never will it be served with a freakin' hot dog! 

Ahhh! A sausage, not a Frankfurter, there's the difference.☺️

Also, I doubt that there are that many Brits who have the english brekkie more than a few times a week, frequently on the weekend maybe. When I were  a lad the beef lard was poured out of the frying pan over the food! We're a bit more health conscious now I think, even in the UK!

Edited by Andrew65

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Must be some British food outlets, I never heard about them and been here over a decade as well.

Siamburys is well known, even for me. But maybe you do not have a facebook account and can join different groups for Pattaya. 

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

that dish is only representative of english i think,   eat neither beans nor sausage

More telling is that they have a raging debate over a restaurant meal only as long as it costs less than 100 baht. 

Mushy peas is the only bit of English "haute cuisine" that stirs them more than a  plate full of congealed grease for 99 baht.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Where else in the world would there be such debate? London, Paris, New York maybe a Dubai

Don't think you find many places doing bacon and sausages in Dubai.

(and yes, there are actually a few places there that have a special licence to serve pork).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

More telling is that they have a raging debate over a restaurant meal only as long as it costs less than 100 baht.  Mushy peas is the only bit of English "haute cuisine" that stirs them more than a  plate full of congealed grease for 99 baht.

Well, many are on very tight budgets.

A telling thing when it comes to cuisine, is that some of our American cousins claim that British-originated Angus beef is the best beef in the World.

Some years ago, Gourmet magazine, one of the most respected foodie publications in the US had 20 of their top 50 restaurants in the World, in the UK.

Lots of people are living in the past when it comes to these things. I think we do supermarkets very well in the UK. One of the great things about them is that they stock some of the best foods from all over Europe & the World, something that wasn't nearly so true 20+ years ago.

Something that did adversely affect food quality in the UK was 14 years of food rationing during & post WWII, it didn't end until 1954.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

More telling is that they have a raging debate over a restaurant meal only as long as it costs less than 100 baht. 

Mushy peas is the only bit of English "haute cuisine" that stirs them more than a  plate full of congealed grease for 99 baht.

Best expression for me is, this reminds me of my last summer holiday, swimming in Greece.

Anyway, just watching BBC news and UK population is now the most over weight of all European nations.

???.

• Haha 1

The latest health news,stop eating bacon and drinking alcohol if you want to minimise you chance of getting cancer.

I think it was Dr Johnston who said to eat well in England you should eat breakfast three times a day.

That's not the bacon that comes from a factory farmed ? or the things that they laughingly call sausages in Pattaya or the other abomination that's called blood sausage,they are all fake and have no resemblance to the real thing.as for the coffee....

3 minutes ago, adammike said:

The latest health news,stop eating bacon and drinking alcohol if you want to minimise you chance of getting cancer.

I think it was Dr Johnston who said to eat well in England you should eat breakfast three times a day.

That's not the bacon that comes from a factory farmed ? or the things that they laughingly call sausages in Pattaya or the other abomination that's called blood sausage,they are all fake and have no resemblance to the real thing.as for the coffee....

...blood sausage is very popular in Germany too, I believe.

4 minutes ago, hansnl said:

You miss the fun of baked beans and beer!

i just never liked the taste of beans,

i have avoided it since i could walk upright.

and only in cambodia did food situation become

so miserable that sausage became a real option

Edited by poanoi

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

This is not even hard! It´s an easy answer on this one. Of course it is because the english people that can´t let go of their fatty food invaded Pattaya.
That´s just one of the reasons it bears the negative looks like it does today. 

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Yee Haw!  In Murica, we might call that a "gutt buster"!  Looks great.... for 2 people!  ?

Have a friend, when in England he always wants to visit a greasy spoon along the M2 for a breakfast nearly like that.

Eats it all, 3 eggs, 3 bacon, 3 sausage, fried bread, mushrooms x2, fried tomatoes x2, baked beans x2, 6 toast, marmelade, 2 mugs of tea with double sugar and a side dish of French fries, with mayonnaise.

Takes him half an hour at least to finish it off.

Burps merrily along to Dover.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

This is not even hard! It´s an easy answer on this one. Of course it is because the english people that can´t let go of their fatty food invaded Pattaya.

Cold climate need the calories.

Hot climate the calories just pile on fat.

2 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Have a friend, when in England he always wants to visit a greasy spoon along the M2 for a breakfast nearly like that.

Eats it all, 3 eggs, 3 bacon, 3 sausage, fried bread, mushrooms x2, fried tomatoes x2, baked beans x2, 6 toast, marmelade, 2 mugs of tea with double sugar and a side dish of French fries, with mayonnaise.

Heard about him. Went to the doctor feeling unwell and after explaining his diet the doctor gave him a full medical.

What's the problem he asked the doc' after.

Doc' replied, I think it's because you've only got one as--ole.

??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

An Aussie brekkie & an Irish Brekkie can bear a striking resemblance to an "English" brekkie. Come to think of it, the Scots & the Welsh brekkies can do too!

As to your point about the state of Pattaya, I think it started to become as it is when it became an R & R center for American GI's. Also, sex sells, whichever the nationality.

Also, Thai cuisine is (rightly) famous the World over, I don't think that includes the plates of various insects on offer, or the chicks inside the eggs??! We can do a hatchet job on most country's food if we want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

That looks nice, I quite like German food.

ok , ham has salt in it. In moderation what's the issue?

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

When your about to start an 8-12 hour shift, shoveling sh*t, you need some serious calorific intake, a bowl of "Granola" just ain't gonna cut it!?

in case this isnt some sort of joke i dont get:
in 13 years i have never heard of Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart
There us an advert on a Pattaya radio station for what I think is Siamburys (Sainsbury's) how ever the voice over man has quite a Geordie accent and to my ear says See-yem-berries or maybe
CM berries....dont know where it is never looked for it..useless advert.
Tops supermarkets have some stuff from Waitrose,Tesco has some "Tesco Finest" produce good Tea they also used to have biscuits Rich Tea,Jafa cakes,chocolate digestives and my favorite shortcake biscuits I bought the last few packs...next time everything was gone I asked when they would get more ...and the reply was never because they sell too well ! ? ?
[emoji47]
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

"Grocery shopping for example is excellent for expats from choices such as Big C Extra, Foodland to Villa Supermarket."

Strange comment when you have real and much more affordable expat choices such as Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart??? 

Villa Supermarket?????? Some of their prices are way over the top, and please don't mention them in the same sentence as Foodland where they are not so greedy with their prices.