Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thai restaurants seem to have no clue about the function of a small plate as something to put the toast on.

They also seem to have few clues about what constitutes a "real" English breakfast. I suppose they are just guessing, like when they write the menus, and get the words wrong because they know better than any of the many English speakers they see in their restaurants.

do they advertise it as  a REAL ENGLISH BREAKFAST? perhaps they are just as skeptical as the rest of the world about making such a fuss about some fried tomato and tinned beans.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:13 PM, DrTuner said:

Well I guess that explains it. I use Googles maps and assistant all the time and it often shows me new restaurants, etc. Given that most here have Android phones and AFAIK listing in maps is free, some one should suggest them to do it.

Might get a few baht from me too, although my usual Makro-BigC-Lotus-Friendship-Foodland-Villa already stocks all I need.

I love the irony of you not using Facebook because of US tracing your movements yet use Google maps with your location detector on and assume Google has no spy ware or isn't doing exactly the same thing... Hahaha ?‍♂️

• Like 2

I love the irony of you not using Facebook because of US tracing your movements yet use Google maps with your location detector on and assume Google has no spy ware or isn't doing exactly the same thing... Hahaha ?‍♂️
Impossible to avoid tracking if you want to have an online life. But you can always use a fake profile on FB and use a VPN to hide your IP-address, although if they really want to get you they can if they want to.
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, starky said:

D'oh. Use a one shot gmail for android and never connect G+.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You just haven't had one in a decent restaurant. The place I get big breakfasts in Pattaya has lovely snags.

What's wrong with adding some HP sauce to the baked beans? A decent restaurant will have such as standard.

What is a myth though, is that they cost 99 baht. I haven't seen a proper one at that price in years.

We don't all live in Pattaya. Yet with all the same Supermarket chains all over Thailand I would think it would be at least possible to acquire the relevant breakfast items. Of course, I am not that lazy in the need to find a restaurant to do it for me every day.

5 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

We don't all live in Pattaya. Yet with all the same Supermarket chains all over Thailand I would think it would be at least possible to acquire the relevant breakfast items. Of course, I am not that lazy in the need to find a restaurant to do it for me every day.

It's entirely possible to buy most of the ingredients for a big breakfast. I haven't seen any black puddings on sale anywhere though. I can't cook bacon in the microwave, but I still manage to have a very acceptable big breakfast, except poached or scrambled eggs instead of fried.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's entirely possible to buy most of the ingredients for a big breakfast. I haven't seen any black puddings on sale anywhere though. I can't cook bacon in the microwave, but I still manage to have a very acceptable big breakfast, except poached or scrambled eggs instead of fried.

All ingredients including black pudding and white pudding readily available at most expat shops, Siamburis, Ban Chang Expat Mart, Siam Expat foods Etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, balo said:

I cook breakfast at home , but when you can get a decent English here for 100 baht , you don't save much money on making your own . 

Which is one reason I wish I lived in Pattaya instead of Chiang Mai. I'm sure it's possible to get a decent big breakfast somewhere, but I haven't found it. So many expats in Pattaya want a big breakfast, that it's easy to find a place.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is one reason I wish I lived in Pattaya instead of Chiang Mai. I'm sure it's possible to get a decent big breakfast somewhere, but I haven't found it. So many expats in Pattaya want a big breakfast, that it's easy to find a place.

Go and see Robert at http://sausagekingone.com/ shop and restaurant.

Edited by LennyW

On 5/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

I wonder if other nationalities are so concerned about finding what they left behind when they emigrate? Somehow I doubt it! Brits are a weird lot!

I think the weirdest lot are the Australians with the big mousers. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

I wonder if other nationalities are so concerned about finding what they left behind when they emigrate? Somehow I doubt it! Brits are a weird lot!

I never had a big breakfast till I came to LOS. Love them, but not every day- special treat.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:53 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Try this Swiss place on Ratchapakinai Road for the most rich and delicious rosti I have ever eaten. It is loaded with ham, bacon and cheese. Have it with a couple of eggs and you will have a great brekky, though not a true "English".

20170817_121733.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

Why do you think that there are so many Chinatowns, Koreatowns, Little Indias etc all over? Because people still want the things they are used to.

And they think it is natural and do not see the need to denigrate themselves or others for it, as per you and Dan.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 10:25 PM, The manic said:

The predominance of American Junk Food like American MTV playlist music has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with hegemony and dominance. They are franchised brands not individual businesses.

You don’t really have to explain the franchise difference to me.  I own a franchise, (not a fast food outlet though), but very well known in Thailand.