Am I in breach of immigration rules if Im painting my commercial building?

ghworker2010

4 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

Best management is to not hire unskilled people to do a job. There are almost no skilled people available in Thailand. The good ones are so busy and you will not even be able to hire them. So you end up with the unskilled people and lousy results.

I don’t agree with your comment about almost no skilled people available.

Perhaps it’s where you live, I agree that there are people who don’t meet the standards that you maybe used to in your home country, but we have found people across several trades who carry out good work.

• Like 1

Thai love to take pictures and then put them on the media. Not everyday you see a foreigner painting so they might find this cute or odd. The reservation I have as other posters is that you said the property is commercial. It is only evidence such as a picture that can make you in hot water. If the building is out of the normal path of sight, then put a hat on and go for it.

I've a friend who owns a couple of hotels in Jomtien and it was a friend of his who got hauled over the coals for painting his house. It was awhile ago and under a different government but I guess somebody complained and the authorities paid him a visit. Can't remember if he was fined or just harrassed. As I said in my initial post i wouldn't worry about it and doubt it will be an issue unless somebody complains

36 minutes ago, retoohs said:

You are not even allowed to paint your own house. This is work a Thai could be employed to do. If nobody complains you should be sweet. I don't know if posting it on social media is the smartest move.

I answered you but forgot to add quote but aswell as my answer below a quick search found this from https://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/prohibited-work-by-foreigners-in-thailand-t3372-30.html and I'm sure if you search you will find other similar stories

Post by BKKSTAN » March 20, 2007, 11:43 am

2 individuals in Bangkok,1 swede and 1 Scot were arrested for painting their own house and the Scot for building his own wall,while I lived in Bangkok!The Scot was deported and the Swede warned and fined!The Scot ,I had met and had some small talk prior to his arrest,The Swede was a friend of a friend!

I think the OP has all the answers he needs...None of the answers are wrong but some have a "risk" element that we know about and that risk is for him to decide..

But I must add, the labour office will not give a stuff about the 60,000bht the OP was quoted to get his birds business place painted....

23 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Surely Im ok to paint out there by myself.

If the building is used for private home only, you are Okay – however, check with the landlord first, as you don't own the building, but is just a renter – if you or your wife use the the lease for business, you're not allowed to work on it without a proper Work Permit, which would probably not be as painter, but as supervisor for the employed painter-staff, or manager of the business...?

14 hours ago, Jasonron said:

That is absolutely fine.. you aren’t painting someone else’s house.. it’s registered in your name now.. I do all my lawn work, wash car regularly, paint house when it is soiled by birds and even some electric work.. I never had any problems... I don’t think honestly anyone would report you for that ... you can’t do any work in a commercial area like market or public place for earning money.. 

Untrue. Legally, you cant even paint your own house. Please do not state opinions as facts.

• Like 1

Member since 2009 and still don't know about Labor law because that is where it is stated?

You do know that in Thailand it is not the only survival of the fittest but also survival of the informed.

So get informed and read the posts in this thread.

21 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

You are absolutely incorrect!

Im the OP and raised this thread. 

I had to go to the immigration dept' to apply for a multi re-entry permit. I showed him the 10 yr lease and photo of our building. The officer said no problem to do it. 

cheers

Did you get that in writing? If not, it's just his opinion. The person to worry about is the policeman that arrests you.

You may be 99% lucky, but it's the 1% that can bite you.

If you are so certain that you can, why are you asking on TVF? None of us are in positions of authority. We can only give our opinion. Why don't you ask the farang musicians arrested in Chiang Mai for jamming in a bar for their opinion.

After the floods in our street, I helped build sandbanks to divert the water when the city authorities were there. Nothing happened. However, that wasn't doing a normal job on a business. 

12 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

Untrue. Legally, you cant even paint your own house. Please do not state opinions as facts.

Legally you may be correct, but not in practice. Otherwise all farangs would be banned from buying tools in hardware stores without a work permit to prove can use them legally.

I rewired 2 houses, and no police came to arrest me, but they were family houses. I even did plumbing on the houses the family rents. No one arrested me, but I wasn't advertising to do same for strangers.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question.  But I do wonder if that's the right question.

Given the risk involved if an envious unemployed paint crew happens by and posts on YouTube, the low labor rate, and the fact that even a great paint job is going to look like crap after a few months of mold and mildew growth anyway (and that's controlled by paint quality- not the labor component)  why not build some goodwill in the community, mitigate all the risk, free up some time for higher value activities, and hire it out?

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 1:38 PM, retoohs said:

You are not even allowed to paint your own house. This is work a Thai could be employed to do. If nobody complains you should be sweet. I don't know if posting it on social media is the smartest move.

you are partaking in bar stool fear talk. Read above. I spoke to immigration. it is not a problem to paint my commercial building. 

you comment indicates you have no idea what your talking about. 

cheers

On 6/8/2018 at 2:45 PM, khunPer said:

If the building is used for private home only, you are Okay – however, check with the landlord first, as you don't own the building, but is just a renter – if you or your wife use the the lease for business, you're not allowed to work on it without a proper Work Permit, which would probably not be as painter, but as supervisor for the employed painter-staff, or manager of the business...?

I asked immigration after showing them our registered lease. He said what are you worried about. I said 'maybe someone call you to say farang is painting without a WP'. He said dont worry about it

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:57 PM, Khun Jean said:

Member since 2009 and still don't know about Labor law because that is where it is stated?

You do know that in Thailand it is not the only survival of the fittest but also survival of the informed.

So get informed and read the posts in this thread.

Not so sure reading these posts are most likely the best way to get misinformed

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

I asked immigration after showing them our registered lease. He said what are you worried about. I said 'maybe someone call you to say farang is painting without a WP'. He said dont worry about it

Its not immigrations jurisdiction, they have nothing to do with labour laws or work permits. Thats like asking the DLT about getting married.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not immigrations jurisdiction, they have nothing to do with labour laws or work permits. Thats like asking the DLT about getting married.

I wonder why DLT look at me strangely when I showed them my marriage cert to renew my DL's. ? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

This will make you smile...

Years back I was sorting stuff out getting a yellow book..Proof of where l lived was required...At the time l was affiliated to the local BiB, so asked the police boss if he could provide an official letter to support the info....Nooo ploblem. Nice letter with all the rubber stamps etc was provided...

Went to get my yellow book sorted and was told to bugger off, need proof from your village head man. Mrs.Trans and I didn't know the bloke, so we inquired and found where he lived. Taking a bottle of booze in hand he was happy to go with us to sort it...:stoner:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

3rd one to say that I think, again where does it state that.

Google it, I got it from three different attorneys, an IO official  plus the guy I bought the business from. You can't even be director of a limited company because that entails signing docs which is considered work. If labor catches him he is toast, he is working for a business without a WP, not even remotely a grey area and not worth the risk. There are several older forums which detail it in great length here on TV.

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

Google it, I got it from three different attorneys, an IO official  plus the guy I bought the business from. You can't even be director of a limited company because that entails signing docs which is considered work. If labor catches him he is toast, he is working for a business without a WP, not even remotely a grey area and not worth the risk. There are several older forums which detail it in great length here on TV.

I think the grey area is he wants to paint a commercial rented building which I take he lives in.

I think with Thailand's rules and laws there's many grey areas and also a line drawn between maintenance and working especially on your own home.