When your baht bus driver is crazy, do not cross him

Jingthing

Maybe it was the 'ding-dong merrily on high' tune that you played on the bell when you wanted the bus to stop? :)

Seriously, I have met drivers like that. As you say, for your own safety, nothing you can do but give an apologetic smile and back away slowly....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Maybe it was the 'ding-dong merrily on high' tune that you played on the bell when you wanted the bus to stop? ?

Seriously, I have met drivers like that. As you say, for your own safety, nothing you can do but give an apologetic smile and back away slowly....

Yeah, I definitely blew it. Things can get dark here really fast. 

• Like 2

Why all the drama? we know you are like that but it's very dangerous and dumb.

Ring bell, get off, pay and none of the walking slowly, slapping it in his hand drama. Hope you learned your lesson but like others here I doubt it.

Edited by BobBKK

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

When your baht bus driver is crazy, do not cross him....if you are a big girl's blouse.

Just helping you out with your title.

If you don't have a pair or don't have the abilty to grow a pair, then don't go playing the tough guy...like you did.

As they say in your part of the world; "Don't go writing cheques that you can't cash".

Bit rude.

• Like 1

Maybe they're really bad at maths and can't count to 10

Hard to know. Maybe he dropped the coins and thought the many coins and slap hand over was a trick to shortchange him. In any case all he said screamed actually was F. You several times and if he really wanted more payment that was a funny way of saying it. In keeping with common sense I don't regret that I did not approach the truck to have a polite discussion about whether he was paid the full fare or not. I knew he was. This wasn't a fare issue. It was a case of an unambiguous 10 baht route.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hard to know. Maybe he dropped the coins and thought it was a trick to shortchanged him. In any case all he said was F. You several times and if he really wanted more payment that was a funny way of saying it.

Perhaps he thought that was your name.

Do you look Chinese?

:laugh:

• Haha 1

Jingthing

Yes, the driver was being a complete dick.

You escalated to show your displeasure.

The driver then escalated massively and almost certainly was itching for any excuse to assault you.

It has happened to me a couple of times (not baht buses but very aggressive drivers who then try to run you off the road). It is a tricky situation and you have to remove yourself from it. These people who may well be drunk and/or on amphetamines are very highly strung, resort to aggression at the slightest provocation and they have no fear of the law or self-restraint.

• Thanks 1

So if you end up in a soi somewhere with wheel marks

down your back,we will know it was the mad baht bus

driver, remember like elephants ,baht bus drivers dont

forget,your a marked man,you'll need to wear a disguise if you venture out.

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 2

regards Worgeordie
Yeah, maybe.

• Like 1

I am appalled at the OP's reference to a human being as a "mango". 

While I have no clue of the origin of that obviously nasty characterization, I'm sure it's some kind of ethnic or religious slur.  And I, for one, find it extremely offensive.  If I only knew which specific group it referred to, I'd demand an apology on their behalf.

It was a local play on bad apples. Mango is more of a local fruit than apple. That's all. I don't really believe you're deeply offended but cute try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to add that although I don't think drivers like the madman one described in this incident should be allowed to work as commercial drivers I don't lack sympathy or gratitude for those doing the job in general. It seems to be soul crushing work even if decently paid and the service most of them provide to the riding public has great social value.

Maybe there should be an annual baht bus driver parade?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It was a local play on bad apples. Mango is more of a local fruit than apple. That's all. I don't really believe you're deeply offended but cute try.

And next you're going to claim there's nothing behind your choice of an orange colored fruit.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Safer bet is to move. At least 100 miles, if not out of country.

• Like 1

Well, under the rule of 3 wrongs don't make a right or right a wrong or whatever... at least you are kind enough to warn others not to make a big deal over a small inconvenience... 

**^ Rule one - when paying 10 baht for a service, don't expect much service - - if you want great service call a limo. 

Rule 2 - when doing business with people who have horrible jobs like driving around in Pattaya traffic all day and barely making enough to feed their families who are living upcountry and they have to live in Pattaya and drive around angry farang for 10 baht - give them some rope if they get testy... 

Rule 3 - he probably was not so crazy when he woke in the morning - but for your discomfort, he only has to be crazy for a short while during the duration of your ride... 

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

sometimes they are violent and it's just not worth it.

And in case you are not thinking correctly - I doubt that there are also sometimes when it is worth it to get into a violent altercation, especially when paying a pittance for taxi service home... there are surely never times that it is worth the violence.

Simply never fight is probably better and never ever fight with a crazy person who is having a deranged moment... guaranteed you lose... even if you lose one tooth and he loses 3 teeth - you still lose. 

• Like 1