Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Being paraplegic certainly restricts my mobility

Also no way would i allow my wife outside at night on her own

thats really sad,

not that ur paraplegic, (sorta sad but  thats just your karma)  but that u live somewhere u cant go out at night

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, namatjira said:

I stayed with my girlfriend for a few months out near Phayoa and was surprised that in the rural areas it was like a battle zone...everyone locked up tight at night, cars, motorcycles locked away and no way would anyone open the door after dark if someone was knocking.

Battle zones are not like that .

Villagers tend to wake up at sunrise and sleep a few hours after sunset .

• Thanks 1

lowcals you cant trust 'em
one of the reasons i keep moving, dont stay in one place longer than 3 months and you escape the lowcals wrath, you can always return months in the future and you will find any wrath that may have been developing has left town or dissipated, start again a fresh
so perhaps have a seaside residence or cheap hotels in a number of different places for frequent month long holidays elsewhere.
that said i very rarely stay in hotels that i havent stayed in before these days as i have a huge cache of pretested places in the region

people are mostly please to see you on return and treat you even better than before cumulatively.

Edited by Wang Lalker

1 minute ago, Wang Lalker said:

lowcals you cant trust 'em
one of the reasons i keep moving, dont stay in one place longer than 3 months and you escape the lowcals wrath, you can always return months in the future and you will find any wrath that may have been developing has left town or dissipated, start again a fresh
so perhaps have a seaside residence or cheap hotels in a number of different places for frequent month long holidays elsewhere

I can't equate that with my own 13 years of village living so I don't know what you are doing wrong. I speak Thai but not the local dialect but that doesn't matter, they can all speak Thai. The puu yai gave out an order once that there was to be no credit given at the shop anymore, when my wife found out why they still gave me credit she was a bit shocked, she told me that the two local women who worked at the shop said "He is so nice we can't refuse him so we do it secretly'', I didn't even know there was a credit ban so I just shopped normally and paid at the end of the month. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The rape of minors is incredible, while villagers seem to be afraid to treat HIV/AIDS victims. I've seen uncles and grandfathers I wouldn't trust one minute. 

I know a woman who never washed her HIV/Aids infected daughter because she thought that she'd get infected. The poor girl died in circumstances I don't want to talk about.

Another woman, who's married to a Japanese guy was brought back to the village to die. I always visited her and tried to give her the feeling that she's not alone, but Thais don't seem to understand that. 

But all villages have the same rules, not talking about something where anybody could lose face. A girl losing her virginity through her uncle, dad, granddad, etc.. is mostly unreported and they give birth to a child that shouldn't be there first place. 

I'm not kidding now. 

That sounds awful, I must be living in paradise, that is not to say that I haven't had my own moments of despair sometimes. A woman in my village whose 18 year old son got a 15 year old pregnant arranged an illegal abortion at 7 months (cost a fortune) I offered to take the child if it was born and raise it as my own but this was refused because everyone would know. I didn't speak to her for months but my wife just said to me you are British,what do know about poverty, she would have to support the child and mother and still pay for her sons higher education, it's not yours to judge, be still. It still bothers me now after 5 years but that is all that has happened as far as I recall.

• Like 2