Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

There is something to be said for living in a condo. Difficult for criminals to reconnoitre beforehand. Problems in making a getaway. And they don't know what may be waiting for them behind the door.

I live in a village in Issan just outside of Khon Kaen city. Shouts and motor bikes in the early hours of the mornings. All young kids drinking, drugs ect. Quite a few of them earn money delivering Yaba pills. Never any Police around.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, namatjira said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm the sad status of Thai village life, I stayed with my girlfriend for a few months out near Phayoa and was surprised that in the rural areas it was like a battle zone...everyone locked up tight at night, cars, motorcycles locked away and no way would anyone open the door after dark if someone was knocking.

i thought it would all be laid back and everyone knowing each other with little crime.....not to be.......it’s not what it appears to be.

That really surprises me, in the twelve years I have lived hear I do not know of any crime at all, or ever been annoyed at any neighbours.

Where I live, some would call it a large village, three 7-11s and a mini Tesco, a new 7-11 just opened recently, and some would say a small town.

Only thing that bothers me is the amount of children riding motorbikes.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

That is not my experience of an isaan village, I live in one and have done so for 13 years, quiet, peaceful, friendly. The have been instances of drugs but it's not 'in your face' and certainly no violence. I get up at 3:30 have a coffee and a ciggy then I go for a 5km walk around the nearby lake and return home at 6:00 and have always felt safe.

Is that 3.30 am? If so, how do you avoid the soi dogs? I would think there are many more around at these hours than through the day.

15 hours ago, soalbundy said:

actually I've never seen a real live druggie in my life and certainly not where I am, the police are quite active and one only hears, he has been arrested for dealing at his university (village pu yai's son) etc. you never see anything. As for drunks it's very civilised, they buy their booze at the shop and go home and drink it, never seen anyone staggering around. In fact not only do I not lock my door at night I leave it open because the dog likes to get up around midnight and wander around the garden. We did have a local thief (now in prison) but he was a likeable rogue who wouldn't harm a fly. On my morning walks around the lake I usually meet a few individual joggers around 5 AM (it's cooler then) both men and women, some in their teens so yes, it is a safe civilised village where I live, I wouldn't be there if it wasn't.

I sent my post in before I read this, I would assume that you carry a big stick on your walks.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is that 3.30 am? If so, how do you avoid the soi dogs? I would think there are many more around at these hours than through the day.

Make friends with the village soi dogs too! It is really easy. Be friendly towards them, take a few biscuits in your pocket when you go out. They'll drop their aggressive response when you drop yours!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

thats really sad,

not that ur paraplegic, (sorta sad but  thats just your karma)  but that u live somewhere u cant go out at night

Cut with the 'karma' crap - not everyone believes in that. It is for the individual to choose - not for someone else to give/label with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I do understand however that some people feel lost without that kind of external support …

Not lost, some people find it easy to slot into the every day life of the family unit, can appreciate the benefits, while enjoying the opportunities to encourage, and improve.

10 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Make friends with the village soi dogs too! It is really easy. Be friendly towards them, take a few biscuits in your pocket when you go out. They'll drop their aggressive response when you drop yours!

Yes, I thought about that, then again thought about the amount of biscuits you would need to take with you on a three hour walk at that time in the morning.

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Not lost, some people find it easy to slot into the every day life of the family unit, can appreciate the benefits, while enjoying the opportunities to encourage, and improve.

Yes I would agree with you in that case. Sorry if my aside came across as a bit mean. It was really directed at the many 'newbies' who go straight off to the partner's village to set up a new home and life without first getting to know them and how things work. While there may be some benefits, there are usually many more drawbacks.

17 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Yes I would agree with you in that case. Sorry if my aside came across as a bit mean. It was really directed at the many 'newbies' who go straight off to the partner's village to set up a new home and life without first getting to know them and how things work. While there may be some benefits, there are usually many more drawbacks.

No need for apologies thanks for the explanation, years ago I would have certainly agreed.

Maybe I am lucky, but by way of example, in our village the lao Kao drinking is now very much an older generation trait, drunken antics frowned upon by the younger element, dying out with the older family members.

In my family for instance (of the middle generation) only one aunt continues to drink to excess.

Be interesting to have others views to know if this is a more widespread improvement.

Edited by 473geo
Clarity
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

No need for apologies thanks for the explanation, years ago I would have certainly agreed.

Maybe I am lucky, but by way of example, in our village the lao Kao drinking is now very much an older generation trait, drunken antics frowned upon by the younger element, dying out with the older family members.

In my family for instance only one aunt continues to drink to excess.

Be interesting to have others views to know if this is a more widespread improvement.

Much an older generation trait?

I beg to differ, the man who got murdered and his murderer were drinking lao kao.

The killer is only late 20s.

Well there will always be pockets of insanity Colin, they even appear here on TV on occasion [emoji16]
Look lads..Colinneil and his Wife have had a bad experience..but look at my home country the UK..how many murders/serious assaults daily..PLENTY.
London..the stabbing/acid throwing capital of the world.
No go areas in many cities/towns in europe for local people.
So far in my village, and I live near Nongbuodaeng in the Chaiyaphum province there's been very little incidents in the 4 years I've been here.
Suppose it helps that the police station is 100 metres along the road from the house.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

If you mean stray dogs (dogs without an owner) when you say soi dogs, that is, I think, rare in villages, that's more of a town problem.There are dogs on the street at night but they aren't dangerous, the first week they would bark but I would just walk past calmly, now they know I am no danger they approach wagging their tails expecting a pat on the head. one thing I found was on the concrete roads there are quite a few sleeping hens with their chicks, it's probably warmer, they used to move away when I got close but now they just stay put.It is surprising that even around 4:30 there is still some activity, people doing stuff on their vegetable patches at the lake side or fishing, one very old man sits in an armchair outside his house and calls out to me laughing and waving watching me do my rounds on the concrete path around the lake, he thinks I'm funny, but his adult granddaughter told me he waits for my appearance every morning. For me it is the best part of the day.

I do cycling, but over the same distance, I believe that walking burns up more calories, so I am thinking of exchanging cycling for walking on alternate days.

Not just Isaan, when we were staying in village near Trang heard a few single gunshots about 50 meters from our digs then in the last week of our stay automatic gunfire, bit like war zone .... still a bit like the Wild West still.....

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

actually I've never seen a real live druggie in my life and certainly not where I am, the police are quite active and one only hears, he has been arrested for dealing at his university (village pu yai's son) etc. you never see anything. As for drunks it's very civilised, they buy their booze at the shop and go home and drink it, never seen anyone staggering around. In fact not only do I not lock my door at night I leave it open because the dog likes to get up around midnight and wander around the garden. We did have a local thief (now in prison) but he was a likeable rogue who wouldn't harm a fly. On my morning walks around the lake I usually meet a few individual joggers around 5 AM (it's cooler then) both men and women, some in their teens so yes, it is a safe civilised village where I live, I wouldn't be there if it wasn't.

The moo ban where I live is a bit like yours but in rural Khampaeng Phet. We do lock the main house at night though.

16 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

lowcals you cant trust 'em
one of the reasons i keep moving, dont stay in one place longer than 3 months and you escape the lowcals wrath, you can always return months in the future and you will find any wrath that may have been developing has left town or dissipated, start again a fresh
so perhaps have a seaside residence or cheap hotels in a number of different places for frequent month long holidays elsewhere.
that said i very rarely stay in hotels that i havent stayed in before these days as i have a huge cache of pretested places in the region

people are mostly please to see you on return and treat you even better than before cumulatively.

I have never had any problems like that and I have lived in the same house for 14 years.

Perhaps it is you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

The rape of minors is incredible, while villagers seem to be afraid to treat HIV/AIDS victims. I've seen uncles and grandfathers I wouldn't trust one minute. 

I know a woman who never washed her HIV/Aids infected daughter because she thought that she'd get infected. The poor girl died in circumstances I don't want to talk about.

Another woman, who's married to a Japanese guy was brought back to the village to die. I always visited her and tried to give her the feeling that she's not alone, but Thais don't seem to understand that. 

But all villages have the same rules, not talking about something where anybody could lose face. A girl losing her virginity through her uncle, dad, granddad, etc.. is mostly unreported and they give birth to a child that shouldn't be there first place. 

I'm not kidding now. 

Not disputing your post(every village is different Im sure, just like people) but we have two women with AIDS in our village and they are both treated normally.  In fact one was a neighbour of ours who has an unaffected husband and not long had a baby.  She has even quite openly and in company on the street mentioned how she was on her way to pick up her AIDS drugs.  I feel sometimes they are a bit too relaxed about it...especially when this ladies mother tries to encourage the youngest sister to go work bar for more money!

No ours is a reasonably quiet village but we do have a resident thief/burglar who the police catch periodically.   Everyone knows who it is and they just keep an eye on his movements and each others properties.  No-one dares to call the police because there is no money in it (the thief and his family are broke).  So if the police are involved they need money to pay for their time, so they turn on you and next thing they are wanting tea money because your number plate is obscured, tail light blown, or you are painting your own house without a work permit etc (hasnt happened here yet but I have read about it before).

Only violence I have seen here has been from the jealous lashing tongue of some other farangs Thai wife lol!

16 hours ago, soalbundy said:

A lot of what happens depends on the puu yai, we have a good one, before internet cables were brought to the village officially he had us connected with the school which had internet outside the village, semi-legal. He organizes village clean ups regularly, proper rubbish disposal, regular village meetings once a month so we have a real community spirit and people are proud of their village.

you are so spot on , the women in our village rule  the head man, my wife being one of them, i feel if the village is going well financially life is sweet, the womens commitee are great, even if trouble arouses here, it is quickly discussed and trouble makers moved on, shit  happens.  no drunks no drugs , and most defininately no women bashing in our village, and the kids are great, disiplin is still relavent here, 

• Like 2