47 percent of Thais believe no government can tackle corruption problem

webfact

7 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

And in the typical Thai manner they found a way to blame others for their problem. Remember the quote of a government official saying: "There was no corruption in Thailand until the Chinese arrived"? Now they accept it as a vital part of their culture, their Buddhism and Thainess. There will be no end of corruption because the fish stinks from the head.

If it wasn't for the Chinese population of Thailand this country would resemble Laos, Burma or Cambodia much more than it does now.

Ending corruption would mean a leader who is not corrupt. Has there ever been one here? the young FFP looks promising and if they stayed 'clean' there is hope.  As for Thais it's in their genes and will take a couple generations of clean government to pass onto the populace.

The initial problem TODAY is the government  banning freedom of speech and assembly and THAT is a form of corruption.  Freedom, transparency and honesty are held in little regard here. Thailand needs an incorruptible leader to show the way.

• Thanks 1

To expect this or any Thai government to get tough on corruption would be somewhat akin to giving oneself a huge uppercut or throwing themselves or their associates in front of a speeding mini van. Not likely to happen. I think it’s many generations away because of the ”next life” mentality that exists and promoted in this country. What a convenient tool to pacify, control and brainwash any “nay sayers” with. It breeds cultural apathy and successfully blinkers the people into inaction. 

I think we all know it’s going to go on forever without any real challenges. It may be hard to accept but do what the Thais do - roll with it but only contribute the bare minimum and only when completely necessary. As a previous poster said - wait for them to ask. Why make it too easy. And keep those cameras rolling. 

We are looking at things through western eyes and judging from a western perspective.

"Corruption" is abuse of the system for the benefit of the few, and assumes the system was designed for the good and welfare of all.

In Thailand what we see as corruption is just the way that things are and always have been, it is not abuse of the system it IS the system. That is how things get done and how things work.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PommieOz said:

this has reduced corruption enormously. 

No, it only further concentrated to the benefit of the few who are now fewer than before. With a nation now ruled by an emperor, the opportunity for corruption is greater - albeit better hidden.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Each Thai should take a stand and not accept or condone corruption. The government will not and cannot change it on their own. I needed a yellow book, first thing my wife did was to go to a local woman in our village who works in the nearest office that issues them. She took her a small gift to speed up the process I guess, the point being that the woman never asked for it, my wife just assumed that it was neccessary. Thais need to stop assuming and make them ask for a bribe.

Much the same with me about 12 years ago shortly after arriving here , my gf said I needed an ATM a/c  ( never had one in England ) the nice bank lady filled a form in , I chose a number etc. Next day my gf took in a basket of fruit to the very nice lady . So in front of everyone in the bank something a bit iffy has taken place.

Oh while here , it is not 47% but nearer 40 but with corruption ........................................

• Like 1

Can or will?  It takes an incredible sacrifice to be honest in Thailand.  Just as in drugs if the punishment is severe enough the problem is insignificant. 100% is impossible what can you live with?

To truly crackdown on corruption it must be implemented and forced by officials of all departments in government and in the private sector..

however how many times have we read that it's the officials themselves that initiate and benefit the most from corruption...

don't expect any change soon & that's why most Thais believe it will continue & never stop!!

4 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Each Thai should take a stand and not accept or condone corruption. The government will not and cannot change it on their own. I needed a yellow book, first thing my wife did was to go to a local woman in our village who works in the nearest office that issues them. She took her a small gift to speed up the process I guess, the point being that the woman never asked for it, my wife just assumed that it was neccessary. Thais need to stop assuming and make them ask for a bribe.

Most of us pay a 500 Baht 'donation' to get a yellow book anyway; so why the extra present ?    They just can't help themselves to break terrible habits.

• Like 1

"... 19.96 percent is optimistic and believe that the current government will be able to do it because it has the absolute power..."

Therein lies the cause why the current gov CANNOT or WILL NOT do it - absolute power.

Whatever this 19.96% are smoking/drinking/both, I'd like some.

47% of Thais that are on the ball. higher than I thought for a subject close to my heart & my pocket.

How can you ever stop it when the force who are supposed to stop it are collecting every month millions

as openly as collecting the rent.  

• Like 2

While the enforcers are as corrupt as the people they are supposed to enforce, then it will never change. The PM promised RTP reform which has gone the way of the Dodo, hence corruption has risen. The PM promised yet almost immediately stated the reform could wait for the next elected Government which he has kept putting off..AND the Police know he will do nothing.  

Edited by Khun Paul
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

While the enforcers are as corrupt as the people they are supposed to enforce, then it will never change. The PM promised RTP reform which has gone the way of the Dodo, hence corruption has risen. The PM promised yet almost immediately stated the reform could wait for the next elected Government which he has kept putting off..AND the Police know he will do nothing.  

Exactly 53 % are more than likely corrupt anyway 

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That is the problem Thais have been condition to believe nothing can be done thus just go along their way each day thinking they are actually free.

Then you got a % of the population who think the current leadership is going to do something for them while all they done is steal from Peter to pay Paul?

The government past and present have done their job, the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.

Your last paragraph applies to the UK government especially. 

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Corrupt top to bottom. Every Thai knows this. They all hate it, except ofcourse those who benefit from it.

I am not condoning corruption, but let's not be hypocrites here.

How many of these people who go on about Thai corruption, are the first to accept the cops request for 300 Baht when pulled up to avoid having to go to the police station?

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Very difficult ,when the biggest part of corruption IS the Government,

corruption within,and no real effort to curtail it,

regards Worgeorde

The UK government are probably worse than the Thais for corruption.

Their departments and the establishments have the brains to hide their corruption where the Thais do not.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Their departments and the establishments have the brains to hide their corruption where the Thais do not.

I don't think it's a matter of brains but a matter of society.

In Asia it seems having unexplained substantial wealth is a badge of honor and recognition, to say to people "Look who I am." The general population is intimidated by such power of corruption. Western societies are more susceptible to scrutiny by the populace so much so that hiding financial corruption is more necessary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kannot said:

We need a  survey from the PM,s  office saying 100% of Thais think only he can stop corruption  to fix  this  issue

Well, according to Prayuth, he's already fixed the problem.

Except for the 100 million THB he saved from his soldier's salary.

Naturally.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1