Accident Waiting To Happen In Nongprue

patsfangr

Throughout last year, and for the first couple of months of this year, the city of Nongprue managed a major project upgrading the drainage and the road surface on Soi Siam Country Club Road. The project was a great success. The road is now one of the best in the Pattaya/Nongprue area, with a thick, high quality cement surface! 

However, upon completion of the project, they did not reactivate the traffic signal at the intersection of that road with Nongprue Road, which has been similarly upgraded. The traffic on both roads is heavy most of the time, and continues to increase as more people realize that Soi Siam is now open and in prime condition. The traffic signal had been fully operational for a few months prior to the beginning of the project, and was deactivated only because there was virtually no traffic on Soi Siam during the construction. 

The volume of the traffic at that intersection now creates long backups during rush hours; and the speed of the traffic on these upgraded surfaces during lighter traffic creates the threat of serious traffic accidents at any moment. The signals are now currently set on blinking red. This is not adequate to eliminate either the backups or the dangerous conditions. The signals should be reactivated to full cycle operation as soon as possible. 

Edited by Rimmer
  • Haha 1

You must be talking about the signal light on Soi 22, Siam C.C.?

Funny during Songkran the police was set up right there for their vehicle check but of course they never came out to check so they must not of noticed!

Soi Siam road is smoother and faster but the flooding still happens. The drains are in but the water is lead into any empty land that presents itself along the route. In front of the electrical station they found a pond behind so they are digging a canal to funnel the water into the pond. During long heavy rain the pond fills and floods the road in the back the same is happening in front of the new market with the Shell gas station, there is a pond on the other side everything from the railroad tracks drain into that pond.

• Like 1

Countdown to when the first construction project has to tear a hole in the new road to install a pipe that could have been done months ago and now that the road is shiny and smooth absolutely has to be done now (and whoever does it will do an extremely crappy job of repairing the hole afterwards).

Kind of like what happened to soi Boonsamphan (lower end of soi Khao Noi). They dug the road down, filled and surfaced it, it was all shiny and smooth and within 3 months people were cutting holes in it to connect to water/sewer lines or whatever and doing absolutely crappy repair jobs afterwards. Now that entire stretch from The Chill mall to the railway bypass road is a frikken mess of holes, uneven pavings, crumbling "repair" jobs and lumps of concrete/asphalt (some conveniently in front of storm grates, you know, to prevent too much water from going in them or something).

The same thing happened in my "village". The poorly constructed sois in the village (made by pouring about 2 centimeters of poor quality cement and hoping to be long gone before any problems developed) were crumbling rapidly. The Provincial Water Authority was going to take over the water system in the village and the city was apparently going to be responsible for the roads so of course, the city comes in and resurfaces all the sois, shiny new smooth asphalt, and what happens ?
About 6 weeks later the PWA comes in and starts tearing it up to install new water lines ! They dug little trenches up (and down) each side of the sois about a metre in front of the houses, barely a couple inches deep, laid the new plastic pipe and then covered it with cheap quality cement (that started crumbling almost as soon as it dried). 

Frik, some of the trenches they dug were so shallow they could barely even cover the pipes at all ! At each junction of a soi/alley, they have a shutoff valve that just sits in an open hole. No worries about it eventually washing out and potentially creating sinkholes under the roads/houses. (That'll be someone else's problem in the future, why worry about it now ?)

• Like 1

I was living on the dark side when the city finally decided to put lights in at the rail crossings. Great idea, wonderful way to save lives...last about a week. Last time I was down that way I drove the road to see how it was...it wan't nice.

The lights work but only when you get a professional traffic engineer to time them.

4 hours ago, thaikahuna said:

I was living on the dark side when the city finally decided to put lights in at the rail crossings. Great idea, wonderful way to save lives...last about a week. Last time I was down that way I drove the road to see how it was...it wan't nice.

The lights work but only when you get a professional traffic engineer to time them.

It would take more than a traffic engineer and certainly not one locally.  They provided if the number is still right 140 million to a engineer group to study and fix the problem two years ago? I certainly don't see any improvement? but I know the Thai official got a new house, car etc..

I remember the day they turn these lights on I just happen to be going to the airport I arrange a early pickup because from Nernpludwan it took me a hour just to get down to the Hwy entrance.  Officials were standing everywhere and traffic was a gridlock.

The roads in the area are design all wrong, no standard many big vehicles are unable to make the turns and then the Thai have learn to drive with no patients, inconsideration and lack of courteous self inflict the majority of problems on themselves.

Since that day the lights have been turn off,  another attempt was when the tunnel was started you should see what the keystone cops was doing then!  It doesn't work for us but to the official they are doing a great job, just ask the Nongprue Mayor he can't stop bragging. 

• Like 1

We're lucky we have roads at all considering the caliber of the tradesmen here. Last night a fire on an electric pole took out the power to an entire street in Chiang Mai. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often....caliber of the tradesmen again. ?

IMG_6452.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, genericptr said:

We're lucky we have roads at all considering the caliber of the tradesmen here. Last night a fire on an electric pole took out the power to an entire street in Chiang Mai. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often....caliber of the tradesmen again. ?

It actually happens quite often. There have been a couple like that in Pattaya in the last couple of years (that I know of) and no doubt many more that haven't made the "foreign" news (but were probably reported in the Thai news outlets in the areas where it happened).

Poor workmanship, heavy rains, lightning strikes and overloading. The one on Sukhumvit not far from the Pattaya Tai intersection (by the 7-11 next to the Highway Police office) knocked out power to a large hunk of Nong Prue, in areas 3+ kms away. (Although it could be that they simply cut power to those areas for safety reasons until the fire was out and the damage repaired.

Before:78365272_7-11byhighwaypolice-before.png.e070e2ff054cb64082d49e91a3819da7.png112874845_7-11byhighwaypolice-before-a.png.d98dd62334cb8c5b7b7236d0fcaa7e43.png - and then - 19989-1021x580-696x416.jpg.18fd099c1d308db5ae41d4abda828940.jpg

Should go look to see what it looks like now - go past there all the time but never really look. Probably looks almost the same as before by now, it's been 8 months after all.

Edited by Kerryd