how to attract clients for purchase or rent of condos

Can any of you give me some tips on how to attract buyers or renters for my condo? Nice places but even with 4 agents am not having any success.The condos are large, on low floor with limited beach view and in good shape. Common wisdom seems to be NOT to spend on renovation as most clients will rip everything out anyway & decorate to their own taste. On the market for a few years but no takers. What's the deal here??? I need sensible tactics!

Edited by ripley
typo

If bad location,terrible condition and over priced,you are

not looking for a buyer,you are looking for a mug,and there

are a lot less of them,or there should be.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

use ddproperty...skip the agent....lower your price...And of course, sex sells, but margins are so right and land office fees so high...the three percent makes a big difference...Especially On a condo, where it is so easy to compare to other like units.

Condos on the market for "a few years"? How can anyone advise what to do differently if you do not say what you are doing now?

Location? Price? Foreigner name?

I doubt the veracity of the OP.

12 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Does Thailand have a  real estate  industry that offers that kind of information?   I doubt it.

A very relevant observation, the lack of data in Thailand ends up with people picking a value out of thin air, basing the value on what the neighbour is asking etc. If buyers and sellers were more aware of the price properties actually change hand at, volume etc. The market would benefit and be more realistic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
24 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Does Thailand have a  real estate  industry that offers that kind of information?   I doubt it.

Just check all the websites where farang would look, hipflat, bahtsold etc etc google condo name for sale, quite easy

Thats just seeing what other unrealistic sellers are asking, often not much relevance to the actual sales prices.

My condo block properties regularly sell for around 1.5 million baht, people have the same condos listed for 3 million baht, because the guy next door is asking 3m.

There is no real actual sales data.

• Like 1

Thats just seeing what other unrealistic sellers are asking, often not much relevance to the actual sales prices.
My condo block properties regularly sell for around 1.5 million baht, people have the same condos listed for 3 million baht, because the guy next door is asking 3m.

Yes i know, but if all the others are advertised as 3m, no point having yours at 4m for example. People know prices are inflated, better to price which gets a bite maybe 2.5m

and many understate sales price to minimize pain at land office...but within some of these large complexes, it is fairly easy to get comps.  And if you see what they are renting for, you can get a better idea of value.  I wouldn't rent to a Thai, but they will buy.

Pattaya might be the biggest buyers market in the country, with many taking losses...you can't base price on what you paid or the exchange rate.  Exchange rates can make it better to sell or buy at times, but price is still relative to other recent sales.

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

A very relevant observation, the lack of data in Thailand ends up with people picking a value out of thin air, basing the value on what the neighbour is asking etc. If buyers and sellers were more aware of the price properties actually change hand at, volume etc. The market would benefit and be more realistic.

I sincerely believe you are correct Peter.   There is simply no data available about  housing transactions other than  what the real estate agents claim.      I have little faith in their claims.

• Like 1

@    ripley

Will you give more information  regarding your Original Post?    It is  very  vague?

Details,  price,  time on market,  location and and fees?

Simple things that you would, naturally,  forget to put in your post.   

Fair enough?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes i know, but if all the others are advertised as 3m, no point having yours at 4m for example. People know prices are inflated, better to price which gets a bite maybe 2.5m

Scuba, I think you don't quite get the idea that  Thailand does not like having a lot of house selling information available to potential buyers.

Keep them in the dark kind of approach.

Scuba, I think you don't quite get the idea that  Thailand does not like having a lot of house selling information available to potential buyers.

Like i said, yes i know. It is what it is so you need to deal with it

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

But in this example that 2.5 million would give you the false impression that you are cheaper than the others, while in fact you're still 60% above actual sales price.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moontang said:

// but margins are so right and land office fees so high... the three percent makes a big difference... //

8 hours ago, moontang said:

and many understate sales price to minimize pain at land office... //

I don't understand your critics against the Land office taxes ??? :unsure:

I sold a condo in Pattaya last month and, as you say, the total of taxes was not even 3%. :cool:

That seems very cheap to me. :clap2:

I am used to my country where I would probably have paid 10% in taxes in such a sale. :dry:

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Like i said, yes i know. It is what it is so you need to deal with it

I note the reality,  I don't have to deal with it at all.

No reason to doubt my veracity! I did not include my condo name, etc because I didn't want people to think I was flogging my property here. I am in Jomtien near the beach. The units are nice, roomy, low floor with small sea views.

What am I doing? I have listed with 4 agencies. Incidentally, I don't live full time in Thailand. My agents tell me the market is low - primarily because of competition from the many builds now. My prices seem commensurate with others in the bldg., but after so long.... "Scuba Scuba's" is a good idea.

Common consensus here seems to indicate I should lower my price? It's a buyers' market?

@ripley

Is it possible you are placing too much faith in the agents based on your experience from your home country? In your home country, realtors/estate agents are bound by contracts and professional body guidelines. They can be sued. They have higher fixed costs. So, they do generally tend to actually market and sell your property. This includes gently advising you on price.

The same is not true in Thailand where agents often do next to nothing. You may not have realised that. It is much more common for property owners to sell either without agents or to do much of the marketing and finding of potential buyers themselves. This is more difficult for you as you are not in Thailand. However much of the work can be done by online means.

Ask a farang friend in Thailand to approach the 4 agents and ask about condos in Jomtien. See if yours is mentioned. Are the agents customer-friendly. Will they come out and show people around?

Does the building in which the condo is located have a permanent rent and sales team that act as agents? As they are located on site, they may be your best bet to deal with walk-ins if you are looking for renters or even buyers.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ripley said:

No reason to doubt my veracity! I did not include my condo name, etc because I didn't want people to think I was flogging my property here. I am in Jomtien near the beach. The units are nice, roomy, low floor with small sea views.

What am I doing? I have listed with 4 agencies. Incidentally, I don't live full time in Thailand. My agents tell me the market is low - primarily because of competition from the many builds now. My prices seem commensurate with others in the bldg., but after so long.... "Scuba Scuba's" is a good idea.

Common consensus here seems to indicate I should lower my price? It's a buyers' market?

I too stay in Jomtien. There will be the doubters but older larger well maintained condos that are realistically priced are selling,  and reasonably quickly. 

• Like 1