Do I need to transfer my existing visa into new passport

I have an existing retirement visa that is valid until January 2019 however I need to get a new passport issued next month.

Do I have to have the existing visa transferred into the new passport or can I present for exit and reentry with the old and new passports together?

Thanks

i think you need to clarify if you have a non imm OA visa or an extension of stay.  i had to transfer my extension of stay stamp (and my reentry permit stamp) to the new passport before leaving the country.  i'm not sure about the OA visa but i think that does not need to be transferred, someone else will have to confirm.

• Like 1

Thanks Buick - I have a non-imm Retirement visa with multi-reentry permit.  I am having to get a new passport now as I have less than 8 months validity on the existing passport and I am concerned that I can't reenter Thailand if I have to travel in the coming months.  Also I need a passport with 6 months validity to tracvel to other countries.

3 minutes ago, buick said:

i'm not sure about the OA visa but i think that does not need to be transferred, someone else will have to confirm.

Visas are not transferred. It requires using both passports until the visa expires to use it.

As said if you are on a extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration you have to have the stamps transferred.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GM61 said:

Thanks Buick - I have a non-imm Retirement visa with multi-reentry permit. 

i think you mean an extension of stay with a multi-reentry permit.  what immigration office do you use ?  as an example, at chaeng wattana in bangkok, i had to go to two different desks for the stamp transfers.  one for the extension of stay and one for the reentry permit.  i was a bit surprised by that, not a complaint just letting you know that is how it works there in case that is your local office.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Visas are not transferred. It requires using both passports until the visa expires to use it.

As said if you are on a extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration you have to have the stamps transferred.

Just to clarify, the stamps to be transferred into a new passport are the "Extension to Stay Permitted up to..." stamp and the "Re-Entry Permit stamp."

What about the Non-Immigrant Category O Visa granted in the UK in 2013 (for my situation)? Does this  have to be shown every year for retirement extension purposes from the old passport. You say it cannot be transferred so does it remain 'non-expired' until the visa extension chain is broken at some point in the future?

4 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

What about the Non-Immigrant Category O Visa granted in the UK in 2013 (for my situation)?

Immigration will do a stamp with lines for them to enter the info about the visa used for entry and your old passport info. That is what you will copy for future extensions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GM61 said:

Thanks Buick - I have a non-imm Retirement visa with multi-reentry permit.

Did you get the "visa" from an embassy or consulate or from an immigration office in Thailand?

The annual extension of stay based on retirement that you get from an immigration office is not a visa.

You get a re-entry permit from immigrations when you stay in Thailand on an extension of stay because you no longer have a visa, just an extension of your permission to stay IN Thailand. The extension allows you to remain IN  Thailand and the re-entry permit allows you to leave the country and return while maintaining your extended permission to stay.

Extensions, re-entry permits and a stamp with information about your original visa entry would be transferred to your new passport.

An actual valid visa is not transferred, so you need to use both old and new passports while the visa remains valid, but you would be stamped in an out at the border/airport in your new passport.

Edited by Suradit69

I am now on my 5th retirement visa issued from Chaeng Wattana immigration office.

My question, was do I go back to CW with my new passport so that my current retirement status to stay IN Thailand can be transferred if that is needed, or not.

There seems to be conflicting advice here so I will head to CW to try and be safe and not sorry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GM61 said:

My question, was do I go back to CW with my new passport so that my current retirement status to stay IN Thailand can be transferred if that is needed, or not.

You don't have a visa. You have a extension of stay.

You need to have your stamps transferred and annotation done of the non-o visa you used for entry years ago at immigration.

• Thanks 2

If you get a new passport shortly before your Extension is due to expire, can you get a new annual Extension in the new passport, without having to transfer the old one? Or do you have to transfer the old one first and then go over to the Extension desk for the new one?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you get a new passport shortly before your Extension is due to expire, can you get a new annual Extension in the new passport, without having to transfer the old one? Or do you have to transfer the old one first and then go over to the Extension desk for the new one?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is exactly what I did last week based on a recommendation on TVF that it would be cleaner to do it that way..

I got my stamps transferred, then came back for the extension.

Seemed pretty easy and cleaner I think possibly avoided any confusion.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The stamp transfer has to be done before the extension is done. Copies of the transferred stamps in the new passport are needed to do the new extension.

After it's all done you will have no need to carry both passports either. That only happens when your visa is still valid.

Your 'visa' expired a few years ago. All they do is write it's number as it was what you got your first 'extension of stay' on.

5 hours ago, GM61 said:

Do I have to have the existing visa transferred into the new passport or can I present for exit and reentry with the old and new passports together?

Yes, you need to have stamps in the new passport of the original OA-visa, and your (eventually) extension based on retirement, and you last entry into the Kingdom.

There are a number of fairly recent threads about this, which might help you to read, I replied about my experience moving "visa stamps" here (October 2016)...?

2 hours ago, GM61 said:

as i noted, i use CW also.  you'll have to get a queue number for the L desk to transfer the extension of stay stamp.  i arrived around 9:15am and barely got that done before they closed up for the lunch break at noon.  i was ready to go home then so i went back about a week later to have the reentry permit stamp transferred. 

i think i read a report recently where someone got their extension of stay and reentry permit completed before noon and they had also arrived around 9:15 or so.  not a stamp transfer but still waiting in the same queue(s) so i hope you can get a timeline like that.

Lots of good info here. Just for clarification, when you have a new passport issued (in my case it will be issued in the U.K.) do you still need a letter to enable the stamps to be transferred to new passport? Or is it only passports issued in Thailand.?

many thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Lots of good info here. Just for clarification, when you have a new passport issued (in my case it will be issued in the U.K.) do you still need a letter to enable the stamps to be transferred to new passport? Or is it only passports issued in Thailand.?

many thanks. 

Sorry to interject it is a good question I am sure it will be answered.

At Chonburi the IO tole me flat out they will do nothing without the letter.

So, I guess to CYA get one just incase.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have a visa. You have a extension of stay.

You need to have your stamps transferred and annotation done of the non-o visa you used for entry years ago at immigration.

You will need the transfer stamps form and a letter from  the Embassy also.

The need for a letter from an embassy/consulate apparently depends on the given province.   At Chiangmai Immigration last September, I had my stamps transferred to my new passport and I had no embassy/consulate letter and nobody at Immigration even asked about one.

(I would note that I got the new passport while I was in the US last summer so perhaps it makes a difference where you are when the new passport is issued?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry to interject it is a good question I am sure it will be answered.

At Chonburi the IO tole me flat out they will do nothing without the letter.

So, I guess to CYA get one just incase.

I would say that's only in the case of transferring an extension of stay.

I have had two new passports and always on a multi entry O 'visa.'

I presented both old and new passports at the airports, DMK and Swampy, and the IO just noted the 'visa' details in the new passports, no letter was supplied or asked for.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, you need to have stamps in the new passport of the original OA-visa, and your (eventually) extension based on retirement, and you last entry into the Kingdom.

There are a number of fairly recent threads about this, which might help you to read, I replied about my experience moving "visa stamps" here (October 2016)...?

The OP doesn't have an O-A visa.

He doesn't have any kind of visa. It died years ago after it's enter by date.

He now has and has had for a few years an extension of stay that was issued because years ago he 'had' a visa.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Isn't that what he wants to do?

Well ,    yes.

The point being he stated 'I have a retirement visa'  he doesn't have a visa, he has an 'extension of stay'

Chalk and cheese.

Edited by overherebc