Rescuers about to reach 'Pattaya Beach' chamber of Tham Luang Cave

webfact

3 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

In fact breathing pure oxygen at less than 10 metres underwater will likely have you die through oxygen toxicity. Oxygen is a nasty thing. Nitrogen also begins to cause issues at depths below 30-40 metres depending on the person. After that is it wise to start adding helium into the mix as it is relatively inert. My adding helium, you add less oxygen and nitrogen and it allows you to go even deeper underwater.

Never seen helium used in a rebreather, normally the diluent tank contains nitrox or air

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You've been cave diving with a rebreather?

I've only used air, the rebreather equipment, scrubber carts and oxygen fills put it out of my price range.

I've never used a rebreather, only air, but plenty of books on CD, such as Martyn Farr's give some good info.  Also, some of the u-tube vids on cave diving talk about the pro's and con's of each.

edit - including some of those about the UK guys...

Edited by steve73

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never seen helium used in a rebreather, normally the diluent tank contains nitrox or air

Was only talking about in general terms. Not about breathers per se. Anyway, here is probably not a good place for me to exand.. Happy to chat offline, though.

I hope they get to the trapped ones soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Was only talking about in general terms. Not about breathers per se. Anyway, here is probably not a good place for me to exand.. Happy to chat offline, though.

I hope they get to the trapped ones soon.

Ya. Good idea. You 2 should get a room. ?‍❤️‍?‍??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Eight days, no food, no clean water.  Sadly, I don't hold out much hope for the survival of all of them.  The ones that do survive will be traumatized by this event for the rest of their lives unless they receive some very good psychiatric help and counseling.

Yes

I notice quite a few silly comments . better if we all wish them well . lots of good thoughts can do good things  . hope they have the will to survive would be a happy day if they find them all alive .  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Wish they would get it right... "Compressed air"

Compressed Air Tanks... 

100% oxygen is likely to be fatal at a diving depth grater than 5 meters 

And I do not see any tanks even marked up enriched air/Nitrox (air that is enriched with oxygen).

nitroxtanks.jpg.1fd181adda742ecbe20dadeb660d7b65.jpg

You remember me to my old mother !
Meanwhile everybody knows the difference, but you still have to show up with your knowledge ?
There are 13 -and more- lifes in danger !!!

46 minutes ago, lionsincity said:

let's hope when they reach "pattaya beach" they don't find a sea of trash, jetski scams, old haggard bargirls and thai mafia ready to fight at the drop of a hat.

I am sure that the poor boys will share your concern if they ever manage to get out..

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I just think this particular subject is more important than the comments laden inside it and wading through the pages which I don't bother reading as they are normally hear say is stifling my effort to keep upto date. I just want progress updates sign of life etc. I am not interested in any other comments on this thread and I think the continuity of this subject and need for updates sets ut apart from other topics. The irony is fully understood too that I am now commenting. I just want some good news not bickering and deliberation on resource deployment.

A few days ago I asked admin if we could have a "locked" topic with only official reports and credible news items - no member's comments (plenty of other topics exist for comments).

I was advised to look at the daily "Thailand Live" topic. It's not ideal, but it does help.

Also, member Mike324 provided a great link to a live timeline ... http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/live-updates-teenager-football-team-trapped-thai-cave/

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm also in awe of all the good people doing all that is humanly possible to try to find and save them. Also, to keep that going like they have, even though they certainly know the odds of success are always going down. 

Yes hats off to them it''s been a huge effort many people working in very dangerous conditions long way to go yet.

• Like 1

"Experts in cave rescues from around the world continued to gather at the site. An official Australian group has now followed a U.S. military team, British cave experts, Chinese lifesaving responders and several other volunteer groups from various countries."

Whilst I appreciate that this is a totally different scenario, and I truly hope for a happy outcome to this event, why do the Thais - specifically the RTP refuse any outside help when there is murder involved?

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Experts in cave rescues from around the world continued to gather at the site. An official Australian group has now followed a U.S. military team, British cave experts, Chinese lifesaving responders and several other volunteer groups from various countries."

Whilst I appreciate that this is a totally different scenario, and I truly hope for a happy outcome to this event, why do the Thais - specifically the RTP refuse any outside help when there is murder involved?

I would expect a sudden blaze of activity among the medics to precede any announcement.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I only see air tanks.

Maximum depth on oxygen is 7 meters, as far as I remember, notwithstanding the fact that if they were oxygen tanks another major disaster would be looming....

I haven't got a clue why the would need that many, something went out of control.

And no one has mentioned the availability of a decompression chamber.

Edited by KiChakayan

9 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Thats as well may be, but i think for the main, most peoples intentions are goos in wanting to help.
As is often the case in thailand, strong leadership is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think most people's sentiments are hoping for a good outcome.

Whether anybody here is actually able to help is debatable, although there are a few that do try to correct other's misconceptions.

As for KwKw, I think he's making a bid for said leadership.... ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Stay positive, the divers are nearly there. The time passed is not too long to be without food.

Really? Could you survive for over a week with no food or water in what for most of the time would be total darkness, and with having no way of tracking time?

And maybe I've missed it in all these different threads, but has no-one questioned the idiocy of taking a group of kids into the caves during the rainy season when floods could occur at any moment?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? Could you survive for over a week with no food or water in what for most of the time would be total darkness, and with having no way of tracking time?

And maybe I've missed it in all these different threads, but has no-one questioned the idiocy of taking a group of kids into the caves during the rainy season when floods could occur at any moment?

That's all survivable but the water part. They would have had to had access to reasonably drinkable water.