New tablet is supposed to have GPS, where?

giddyup

I just bought a new tablet from Lazada, it's an Alldocube iPlay8. It says it has GPS built in, but I can't find any mention of it on the tablet itself. I'm a total novice when it comes to tablets so am I looking in the wrong place? This is what it says in the tablets description....

"1GB RAM+16GB ROM, support TF card extend up to 128GB

Built-in GPS, support off-line navigation/CarDV

Built-in HDMI, Bluetooth, FM radio, support Wireless display"

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

"1GB RAM+16GB ROM, support TF card extend up to 128GB

A 1Gb RAM tablet?

That will be of much use.

A GPS on a tablet is not the same as a car GPS. It has the ability to pinpoint your location, and you can use apps like Sygic

Edited by janclaes47
  • Like 1

Swipe the screen down from the top to show the setup section. If the location icon is off, tap on it to turn it on.

Once it is on you can just use any suitable location/direction app such as Google Maps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

A 1Gb RAM tablet?

A GPS on a tablet is not the same as a car GPS. It has the ability to pinpoint your location, and you can use apps like Sygic

1GB is fine for what I need.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Swipe the screen down from the top to show the setup section. If the location icon is off, tap on it to turn it on.

Once it is on you can just use any suitable location/direction app such as Google Maps.

Thanks

18 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

A 1Gb RAM tablet?

As long as it isn't gigabit as written, and is in fact 1GB, and as long as the tablet isn't stressed with demanding tasks, it will be fine.

My 6TB NAS works and shares like a champion with just 1GB RAM.

:smile:

18 hours ago, chrisinth said:

As long as it isn't gigabit as written, and is in fact 1GB, and as long as the tablet isn't stressed with demanding tasks, it will be fine.

My 6TB NAS works and shares like a champion with just 1GB RAM.

:smile:

My old first generation ipad mini is still hanging in there, only 512mb with the 16gb. Main issue was the 16gb became too small to handle the ios updates a few years ago. 

• Like 1

Go into Google maps, enter directions from one place to another and then press "Start", it will go into GPS mode, ensure audio is switched on.

You need to check the settings to make sure you get the route that you want. You can have various options like avoiding tolls etc.

If you are on a motorway the GPS will go to sleep when there is no activity but normally it would be advisable to have power, either from the vehicle or a power pack, otherwise it will drain the battery fairly quickly.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:53 PM, janclaes47 said:

A 1Gb RAM tablet?

With my Google maps it is virtually identical to a car GPS but I know they are not all the same. Mine operates in real time but my wife's refreshes every 30 seconds, bit annoying when you have just passed the junction.

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

My old first generation ipad mini is still hanging in there, only 512mb with the 16gb. Main issue was the 16gb became too small to handle the ios updates a few years ago. 

Yes but Apple IOS gets better functionality out of RAM than Android does. One GBin Android is the minimum workable. 16 GB of ROM is marginal but workable.  8GB is too small.  You should be ok as long as you don't try to too many clever things with it.  And you can always add an SD card.

I'm happy to be corrected if wrong... but...

Merely having a Location setting on an Android tablet, and turning it on, is not the same as the tablet actually having GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) hardware built-in.

AFAIK, even tablets without GPS hardware, and there are many including most Amazon Fire tablets, still have some location services thru other means, such as wifi location or cell tower locations (the latter if the tablet has mobile data capability vs. just wifi only).

In my Android phone, under Settings and Location, there are three different options that can be selected:

--High accuracy using GPS, wifi, Bluetooth or cellular

--Battery saving using wifi, bluetooth or cellular but not GPS.

--GPS only.

I'd assume, if the OP's tablet in fact as GPS capability as advertised, he'd have some kind of similar options/indications in his Location settings info.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1