Foreign volunteers make crucial contribution towards mission

webfact

53 minutes ago, mikekenya said:

How to get the boys out now instead of a long wait ??

As an ex commercial diver, use Surface Demand = no bulky SCUBA Tank in restricted areas.

Use a Dry Hat so no water on face AND be able to speak freely and be spoken to by Thai Navy Seals during the surface ascent.

I was thinking of something exactly along the same line as this.

I would add provision for watertight attachment of dry-hat to a wet or dry suit that would minimize the possibility of water breaking the seal of the dry hat as they contort through the maze of getting out. 

Maybe could even slightly pressurize it with a small ck valve to expel water that might leak in.

would prob need to add weights to try to keep buoyancy neutral. 

• Like 1

With all the International cooperation from various Countries, local merchants giving food to the volunteers, etc. it became a unified effort to rescue these boys and their coach. Incidents as such gives me hope in Humanities future.

29 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Well said. And frankly, I'm rather surprised the Thais called on foreign assistance so quickly. Maybe a corner is being turned. Nevertheless, I'm getting the impression the Thai Navy Seals are doing a terrific job. The spirit of co-operation among Thai rescuers and the many foreigners bringing their expertise seems remarkably strong and effective. Top marks to all. Just need to keep the politicians away to let the professionals do their job.

and officious high ranking "police" officers who know nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ALFREDO said:

I believe on some places not enough space to fit threw with such thing. ?

He doesnt  mean exactly that type. His intention is to show something like that. Of course it would need to be quickly designed in a style that would be suitable to their conditions. 

People are just putting forward ideas that might spark another better idea. Their intentions are to help in their own small way. They and I shouldn't be belittled because of offering an idea. 

Edited by greenchair
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

How about the government give them each 10-year visas with no annual renewals and/or a cash contribution to their nonprofit organization? A "Thanks" doesn't pay the bills.

I suspect the tax payers for each foreign volunteer's country will be the ones to foot the bill for this rescue operation.

I hope Thailand learns from this near tragic event and considers appropriate  warning signage where applicable.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jmccarty said:

Any idea what the buoyancy of such a tube is when empty? Lets give them a 1m diameter tube.  The ends are sealed. It has 785kg of buoyancy per linear meter.  So no diver will be able to pull a 10m, 20m, any length underwater for any distance down, up no problem aside from it ascending uncontrollably.  If you fill it with water, it essentially collapses, it may stay somewhat open, but it will be very easy to get stuck in it.  If you can pump the water out, it has an enormous amount of buoyancy trying to get to the highest side, it is out of control and you don't want people in such a death trap.  Keep on thinking!   

So what will happen if the inflatable gets ripped open on the rocks with a child stuffed in it? Did you know that some of the way the tunnels are down to less than 0.5 metres wide where the rescue team could not get through with their tanks on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think "seals" from any nation would not be any better they are just not trained for cave diving, the three Brits were skilled and experienced in cave rescue and quietly performed the task, then just as quietly went home!

They are still there and haven't gone home yet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jmccarty said:

Any idea what the buoyancy of such a tube is when empty? Lets give them a 1m diameter tube.  The ends are sealed. It has 785kg of buoyancy per linear meter.  So no diver will be able to pull a 10m, 20m, any length underwater for any distance down, up no problem aside from it ascending uncontrollably.  If you fill it with water, it essentially collapses, it may stay somewhat open, but it will be very easy to get stuck in it.  If you can pump the water out, it has an enormous amount of buoyancy trying to get to the highest side, it is out of control and you don't want people in such a death trap.  Keep on thinking!   

I thought I'd read it all up till now. Rescue by bouncy castle.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Who is to say the volunteers want to stay or live in Thailand, other than the rescue.

Who says they don't?

Who says they won't be needed again? Already having visas would speed their return.

• Like 1

I should think that someone with best-in-world level credentials at some kind of rescue, like the British divers, would have previously been in contact with their government and been awarded diplomatic passports that would override visa and work permit issues without having to jump through paperwork hoops in the middle of an emergency. They'd also have established contacts with their government and a rapid deployment plan.

First, a huge congratulations to all. Amazing effort of international cooperation with speed and finesse and both creative and critical thinking.

Just wondering where Canada was in all this? Probably making preparations to welcome another bunch of terrorists no doubt.

• Like 1

Thailand should be proud in the end result of what happened and the effort put into the mission by both Thais and foreign assistance.  Is nice to see the Thai's step aside or work in conjunction with some of the experience that came into take part.  Too often egos and turf assumptions misdirect in what is the ultimate goal.

• Like 1