Ten year visa for US

My wife recieved her 10 year tourist visa for the US a few days ago. The interview was very easy with just a few questions and then the lady announced welcome to America you have your visa. 

We applied in Chiang Mai, I filled in the form 160 and submitted it about 2 months ago. We spent the time making up the folder with all the info they never looked at. It appears the results is based on the 160 form you must fill out on line.

This is the second time we applied in 2016 we applied and she was refused the visa. We were not married at the time but had been living together for 6 years. The only difference this time happen to be two years married. 

Good luck to anyone applying for a visa that your spouse can visit the US. I do not know if there is a need to put together a folder of extra information, never looked at ours either time

• 3 weeks later...

I will answer Johns question first, she gave the interview in Thai, and questions asked were where are you going in the United states, how long have you known husband, where do you work, what are you going to do in the United States and that was about that. 

I will answer observers question now, Requirements and red tape, cannot say what the requirements were other than being married this time around. The only thing they tell you to bring is your passport as well as other supporting documentation that will help your case. We did put together a folder with finicial information, letters from her boss, and letters from friends and my family. This information was never ask for. The red tape or barrier is the DS160 form you have to fill out for any type of visa totally in english, getting a pass word to fill the form can be a pain, as well as other computer snafus that should not be there in an organization such as the State Department. I other words the process is not easy and would be impossible if you had no english skills. We applied in 2016 same form same info in folder, the only difference was the fact we were not married, the fact we had been together for 6 years had no influence what so ever, application denied. This time we were married registered in Chiang Mai City office, nothing different on DS160 other than being married application accept.

If most of the guys I hear complaining about the Thai system had to fill out a similar form to the DS160 but all in Thai half of the folks stying here would have never made it. Over all the Thai system easier to recieve a visa or extension of stay it is in English as well as Thai. Other than the odd IO who decides to add something new to the application process I would prefer the Thai system. People from many countries can walk into Thailand for 30 days very few questions asked. Have a Thai try that in the US and see what happens, my wife did mention that fact several times while I was filling out her form.

Yes, you are right ..., getting into the US is extremely difficult if you are from certain countries, and in some cases, for young unmarried women from undeveloped countries, it is almost impossible.

That said, with my first wife, an American, who was an invalid, and required nursing care, I had no difficulty getting single entry visas for a number of caregivers over a 9 year period with no difficulty even though they were all unmarried women. Some years after my wife passed away, I remarried to a Thai lady. She, along with her 10 year old stepson were both granted 10 year visas with no difficulty. As the op has mentioned, for the most part the consular officer relies on the DS160 info almost exclusively in making their decision and rarely, I presume, look at other material that may be offered. In all my cases, I prepared additional material but they were never looked at.

With regard to the application process itself, my own view is that is relatively easy - but of course, you must know English in order to fill it out. But the process is pretty straightforward. I’ve done it at least 10 times with no problems. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well done, glad she got the visa! 

My wife's was a similar process, although she'd had 2 Visas before from an Embassy outside of Thailand  - a 1-year and a 5-year.  I was really happy she scored the 10-year this time.  Nice. 

21 hours ago, moe666 said:

I will answer Johns question first, she gave the interview in Thai, and questions asked were where are you going in the United states, how long have you known husband, where do you work, what are you going to do in the United States and that was about that. 

I will answer observers question now, Requirements and red tape, cannot say what the requirements were other than being married this time around. The only thing they tell you to bring is your passport as well as other supporting documentation that will help your case. We did put together a folder with finicial information, letters from her boss, and letters from friends and my family. This information was never ask for. The red tape or barrier is the DS160 form you have to fill out for any type of visa totally in english, getting a pass word to fill the form can be a pain, as well as other computer snafus that should not be there in an organization such as the State Department. I other words the process is not easy and would be impossible if you had no english skills. We applied in 2016 same form same info in folder, the only difference was the fact we were not married, the fact we had been together for 6 years had no influence what so ever, application denied. This time we were married registered in Chiang Mai City office, nothing different on DS160 other than being married application accept.

If most of the guys I hear complaining about the Thai system had to fill out a similar form to the DS160 but all in Thai half of the folks stying here would have never made it. Over all the Thai system easier to recieve a visa or extension of stay it is in English as well as Thai. Other than the odd IO who decides to add something new to the application process I would prefer the Thai system. People from many countries can walk into Thailand for 30 days very few questions asked. Have a Thai try that in the US and see what happens, my wife did mention that fact several times while I was filling out her form.

Thanks for the feedback.

John 

19 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Well done, glad she got the visa! 

My wife's was a similar process, although she'd had 2 Visas before from an Embassy outside of Thailand  - a 1-year and a 5-year.  I was really happy she scored the 10-year this time.  Nice. 

All US citizens should be outraged that Thais are getting 10 year 6 month visas meanwhile we get a 2 month trash visa. 

14 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

All US citizens should be outraged that Thais are getting 10 year 6 month visas meanwhile we get a 2 month trash visa. 

Som nam naa

Your country's visa also will be considered trash by some, including you. If it was any good, I doubt you and your likes will be here trashing insults, hiding behind a keyboard. 

Have a look at this and see how real people think...

Archived