What type of unlocked smartphone to buy???

moontang

Are the Motorola phones available here in Thailand? The Xiamoi mix 2 sounds ok in reviews except for the camera location.   Not sure on price.  I'm a fan of a good otter box case since I drop and I am hard on phones.  

If you buy an unlocked phone in the US just make sure it will work with at least AT&T and T-Mobile systems. My local Target store sells unlocked phones and there are more on their website. They sell Motorola, Blu and some others. I bought a Blu smartphone back for my 15-year-old step-daughter. It has a 4-core processor, front and back cameras and memory card slot. I believe they're made by Vivo, it cost less than $100.

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

If you buy an unlocked phone in the US just make sure it will work with at least AT&T and T-Mobile systems. My local Target store sells unlocked phones and there are more on their website. They sell Motorola, Blu and some others. I bought a Blu smartphone back for my 15-year-old step-daughter. It has a 4-core processor, front and back cameras and memory card slot. I believe they're made by Vivo, it cost less than $100.

but is it 4G?

31 minutes ago, moontang said:

how much are they here?  How much RAM?

I’m sure it is more than 6000b if it is really new (not display item) from trusted store.

5SE  16 GB unlock is $200+tax US Apple Stores. Get a GSM. 

Perhaps you can check on Apple website. 

Edited by The Theory

7 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I’m sure it is more than 6000b if it is really new (not display item) from trusted store.

5SE  16 GB unlock is $200+tax US Apple Stores. Get a GSM. 

Perhaps you can check on Apple website. 

the 16 isn't RAM...And would GSM work on much faster LTE?  I would hate to buy a dinosaur..but will look at the Apple site.

9 hours ago, williet98248 said:

I had a Samsung Galaxy phone, bought new in Thailand.  When after three years I was told it couldn't be repaired, "Just buy a new one!" I switched to Apple iPhone.  I have purchased three second hand iPhones from eBay in the US.  All unlocked and substantially cheaper than new.  They all work in Thailand.   First was an iPhone 5.  I lost it and bought a 6s, which I love and then I bought another 6s for my girlfriend after her new Oppo went tits up after a year and a half.  "Sorry cannot repair.  Buy a new one."  I have gone totally Apple because of the experience of Chinese made crap dying too quickly and being unrepairable.  Yah I know Samsung is Korean.  I have replaced all my computers and phones with Apple products.  Apple products will last and I prefer the Apple OS as well.  

And all made in China........... 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

Are the Motorola phones available here in Thailand? The Xiamoi mix 2 sounds ok in reviews except for the camera location.   Not sure on price.  I'm a fan of a good otter box case since I drop and I am hard on phones.  

yes they are, i see in big-c yesterday....great phone and nokia rolling out hot phones now

How long does Lazada take to arrive? I'm here in BKK for another 8 days.  How much does it save? 

I'm with Verizon back in USA. I guess that means I need a phone with other protocol other than GSM? But, my contract is up so I may go with some low cost service,   I'm tired of 130$/mo.  

You say you want to minimize cost, something that works well here in Thailand, and I assume you'd want reliability, ease of use, and ease of repair here.  I'd recommend a down-market Samsung, like a J4, J5, J7.  You can buy unlocked at any decent-sized mall in Thailand.