Chinese join search for 14 missing tourists off Phuket

webfact

56 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It would be the first link when searching Google for the following:

"theync" "dead people found under water"

theync is the worst site on internet , posting pictures of dead people and suicides.  Avoid this site , anyone who goes there more than once should be checked for mental health. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boatfreak said:

This is the government site: http://weather.tmd.go.th/pkt120.php

Yes, as I said before I am aware of that site, but radar only tells you what is happening now and requires interpretation, as the paint is of echos from raindrops, it is a poor predictor.  An indication of the level of intepretation needed is the variability among the radar sites, Chiang Mai  and Chiang Rai for example.

I have found a number of marine forecast sites that are available  but have no idea if they are useful or 'official.' For example:

http://www.buoyweather.com/forecast/marine-weather/@10.746969318460001,101.162109375

I was intrigued too that a previous poster reported the captain was ordered to put to sea despite his misgivings about the weather.

• Thanks 1

Thai dive boats, ferries seem to ignore bad weather warnings, have done forever, they just wing it, sad that they never seem to learn from previous accidents. Passengers really need to bring their own quality life jacket.

They used to overload ferries, hopefully that doesn't still happen

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, balo said:

theync is the worst site on internet , posting pictures of dead people and suicides.  Avoid this site , anyone who goes there more than once should be checked for mental health. 

Indeed, it appears to be the depths of humanity. I certainly won't be going back. However, the video in question is no worse than what the Thai local news show on television 

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That link doesn't seem to be working. Can you post a link direct to whatever content you're talking about?

I think it's the video posted on Liveleak.com that they are referring to.

A short clip of two bodies being brought back to the surface.

Very sad and very upsetting to watch. ?

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's easy to throw out platitudes like "he was the wrong person to have ever been given such a position", but in a culture like Thailand or China, the right kind of person won't be in the job very long. 

After one or two refusals to go, out, they'd just find replacement who will.  As tempting as it is to blame the skipper, he's a product of the culture.

true absolutely, but the buck stops with him and I did say it was a lack of bravery. The boat probably wouldn't have gone out had he said no, my particular disdain is that with this guy it seems it wasn't his fault at all so I suppose if you have no personal responsibility, you can blame it on your culture and sleep soundly at night. I am not saying the culture is right and it was not meant as a platitude, there is certainly no personal ownership or responsibility, is that a cultural problem or a modern problem?

Sad how the budget tourists are led like this, it is said they were on their way to go snorkeling. I the conditions of the day what on earth were the tour guides thinking. Clearly there needs to be some tourism packages designed for seasonal differences.