Phuket boat tragedy ‘unlikely to hamper tourism’

webfact

Boat tragedy ‘unlikely to hamper tourism’

By The Nation

821e60dd9241ab640a7090187746ad0e.jpeg

Chinese tourists continue to visit Phuket and take boat tour trips Sunday.

The tour boat catastrophe in Phuket was unlikely to harm the Thai tourism industry, but the government must respond to it decisively, the chief economist at Siam Commercial Bank said on Monday.

In the short run, Yunyong Thaicharoen said, the government has to investigate the cause of the accident in which a dive boat sank in rough seas, leaving 42 Chinese tourists dead and another 14 missing.

The government must also rebuild confidence among tourists, demonstrating that lessons were learned from this tragedy and steps taken to prevent a recurrence, he suggested.

No pre-booked tours have been cancelled since the accident, but it is now low tourist season, Yunyong noted.

He said Thailand would likely welcome 38.2 million foreign visitors this year, up 8 per cent over 2017.

Tourism grew by 13 per cent in the first five months of this year and 27 per cent among Chinese travellers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349640

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-09
  • Sad 1

I did see that little p is getting out from under quickly in the hopes that the Tham Luang 13 has a happier ending ending and more of a PR opportunity.

Good luck boys, hope the operation starts up again soon if not already and the success of yesterday is continued.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, greeneking said:

How dare they drown and damage the reputation of Thailand.

Yes what Thai Visa really needed along with the Thai press and all those "desperate" for news and updates every minute folk  was them trapped in an air  pocket at 200metres or something in shark infested waters near a nuclear facility outflow or failing that Pattaya Beach sewer outlet.....same same

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, B T Justice said:

I hate to say it but they are probably correct.

If it happened to almost any other nationality in the world there would be serious repercussions.

It helps greatly if the media don't give it mediocre coverage at best and don't focus on the facts! It helps greatly that the media are just paid corporate whores who are Not reporters but repeaters who print what they are told to print.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, B T Justice said:

I hate to say it but they are probably correct.

If it happened to almost any other nationality in the world there would be serious repercussions.

I believed the boat owners were warned of rough weather and stormy sea. There are criminal negligence if the authority decide to pursue.  

• Like 2

Wat a disgusting remark!  Me and my family will NEVER go on a thai boat again...I already have been on a sinking boat to Riley where i had to hose water with a bucket all the way or we would sink...Even the outboard motor broke off it's stand while we were on sea, me and my mate had to grab and hold it or it would have been on the seabottom.

And all they care about is money....money money money...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1