Fines for standing at the back of Baht Buses?

Henryford

I notice on another forum that there are fines now (up to 3000 baht) for tourists who stand on the back of baht buses. Is this the case, is it something new?  Every BB i see has people crammed on the back. If it is true we had better be more careful. 3000 is more painful than falling off the back.

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

Observe how they pack the Pattaya baht buses headed to Jomtien--the ones lined up by the school and maybe 20 feet from a usually manned police box.  The baht buses don't budge until they've crammed the inside like sardines and there are several people standing at the back.  Wouldn't lose any sleep over this. 

You will if you get fined 3000 baht. Apparently some people have already.

Amazing Thailand. Went into town from Jomtien, 3 hanging on back... SOP. If cops want to fine, how about split fine between driver (it is his job to follow law...sort of) and tourist. And put signs up (don't forget Russian)

• Like 2

When are any road laws, regulations enforced here ? Helmets when riding motor bikes, more than 2 on a motor bike, riding side saddle on a motor bike, passengers in the back of a pick-up. The list goes on & on but rarely if ever enforced.

• Like 2

Wasn't there some discussion (if not demand) by authorities that baht buses provide a rear gate or bar to prevent people from being thrown out the back in an accident? Didn't matter whether you were seating or standing. Whatever happened to that?

• Like 1

Last year during Songkran we were at the Bang Saen traffic lights and there were a queue of packed baht buses to the right turning into Bang Saen.

When the lights changed one just ahead to the right jolted and a girls fell off the back, flat out on the road. The guy next to her immediately jumped off and got between her and the next vehicle which came to a stop against him. Could easily have been a problem if the driver had been a bit slower. We had moved on so not sure if the girl was hurt or not.

• Like 1

Remember where we are. Only tourists will get fined. It is like the fine for littering on Sukhumvit in Bangkok, only foreigners.

Of course the easy way is to not have a platform at the sides at the back just a simple one person wide step. The "wings" could be legislated to be cut off existing vehicles and not allowed on new ones.  Then at least maximum only one person hanging off the back?

But...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Remember where we are. Only tourists will get fined. It is like the fine for littering on Sukhumvit in Bangkok, only foreigners.

Of course the easy way is to not have a platform at the sides at the back just a simple one person wide step. The "wings" could be legislated to be cut off existing vehicles and not allowed on new ones.  Then at least maximum only one person hanging off the back?

But...

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

But...

Dry well said. ( very )

Edited by cookieqw

2 hours ago, buffallobill said:

I was following a baht bus going towards jomtien from pattaya,  it hit a bump in the road,  and a guy fell off the back,  he landed on his face,  I stopped to see if he was OK, half his teeth were missing,  I imagine his dental bill was a lot more than 3000bht 

was he thai or farang??

On 7/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Henryford said:

You will if you get fined 3000 baht. Apparently some people have already.

Seriously? Wow!  The buses I’ve been on are actually designed with guard rails so you can stand at the back securely.  I do it all the time just for the nice cooling breeze you get back there.  Go figure ???

Edited by Kohsamida

Thats an A Hole of a scam,To stop that they should Fine the driver for having a standing board/step on the back.How's a Tourist suppose to Know that the driver is breaking the law and the tourist has to pay for that? LOS ,, LAND OF SCAMS

On 7/10/2018 at 10:17 AM, newnative said:

Observe how they pack the Pattaya baht buses headed to Jomtien--the ones lined up by the school and maybe 20 feet from a usually manned police box.  The baht buses don't budge until they've crammed the inside like sardines and there are several people standing at the back.  Wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

Except when it's time to collect tea money.:cheesy:

4 hours ago, buffallobill said:

I was following a baht bus going towards jomtien from pattaya,  it hit a bump in the road,  and a guy fell off the back,  he landed on his face,  I stopped to see if he was OK, half his teeth were missing,  I imagine his dental bill was a lot more than 3000bht 

The poster who put the "ha ha" up would not do so if it happened to him.

Edited by possum1931

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

But...

The cops will require their tea money.

14 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I walk past the smelly sardine cans and flag down a regular baht bus.

I avoid any form of shared-public land transportation. I prefer to go where I want, when I want and not wait. Get the phone numbers of several taxi, tuk-tuk, or motorcy drivers and simply call them when you want to go anywhere. Yeah, I know, it costs more than B10.

• Like 1

Why is it that the baht buses in Pattaya used mainly to transport big foreigners all have such low ceilings while the baht buses in Udon Thani used mainly to transport small Isaan people have such high ceilings?

• Like 1