Sukhumvit bridge ‘safe’ despite shock claim, Pattaya says

Rimmer

Sukhumvit bridge ‘safe’ despite shock claim, Pattaya says

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya officials insist a pedestrian overpass near School No. 5 is safe, despite a report that a 10-year-old boy suffered a serious electric shock when he touched a steel handrail.

Pokawin Moonkaew lost some skin on a finger after a friend had to help pull his hand off the electrified rail July 5. His mother, Sunisa, posted a warning on a Line messaging app group that caught public officials’ attention.

Provincial Electricity Authority and city inspectors visited the overpass near the Sukhumvit-Central Road bypass tunnel July 6 and found no live current running through any part of the overpass.

PEA Pattaya manager Niruth Charoenchob admitted, however, that there were many clusters of unruly power and utility lines hanging near the bridge. If one of the electricity lines touched the bridge it would send current through it, despite the bridge and power poles being grounded, he said.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/sukhumvit-bridge-safe-despite-shock-claim-pattaya-says-215816

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-07-13
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Young boy electrocuted, but bridge safe, according to Pattaya officials,

who do you believe ?

regards Worgeordie

I see they've got their priorities right. Will the bridge receive counselling?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rimmer said:

If one of the electricity lines touched the bridge it would send current through it, despite the bridge and power poles being grounded

And follow the shortest path to ground - like a hand on the rail?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, phycokiller said:

I got a full charge off a lamp post opposite soi 7 on the beach one day, after that I never touched metal with wires near again

I'm not saying it wasn't an unpleasant experience, but IMO had it been an actual "full charge" I doubt you'd still be here to write about it.

When I was clearing out the family house carport, I almost got fried by exposed wires to an outside plug someone that had no clue installed. Not only were there exposed live wires hidden behind a load of junk, they had been wired to the live side of the mains circuit breaker box, so no way of turning off the power. Expertise in electricity seems to be a rare attribute in LOS.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying it wasn't an unpleasant experience, but IMO had it been an actual "full charge" I doubt you'd still be here to write about it.

When I was clearing out the family house carport, I almost got fried by exposed wires to an outside plug someone that had no clue installed. Not only were there exposed live wires hidden behind a load of junk, they had been wired to the live side of the mains circuit breaker box, so no way of turning off the power. Expertise in electricity seems to be a rare attribute in LOS.

it was a while ago but I think I touched it with the back of my hand or tips of my fingers rather then grabbed it so I backed off straight away. but maybe you are right, there were plenty of other people round and I heard of no other incidences 

Just add rain and hey presto instant electric shock. If the PEA chap admitted the fact that there was a lot of "unruly clusters of wires and utilities wires"  next to the bridge WHY didn't he send out a crew to fix said problem or is it wait till a child gets killed then we'll form a committee to look into the problem.