Bananas - how to stop them ripening too fast .

Andrew Dwyer

I think there was a thread along these lines a year or so ago but I couldn’t find it and we probably have a lot of new members now with new ideas so here goes !

I generally eat 1 banana everyday for breakfast and usually buy 4 or 5 together from Big C or Lotus . I could buy 1 every day from the local 7-11 but they don’t always have them and sometimes they are already past their best.

The problem I have is I find that they ripen really quickly and I don’t like them like that.

I am kinda fussy and don’t like them over or under ripe !!

In the two countries I lived before it didn’t seem a problem and bananas would stay at their “ best “ for a few days, here it seems like they go from green to yellow with black patches overnight !!

Sooo, am looking for advice on how to store them to slow the ripening process . Have tried putting them in the fridge but that doesn’t seem to work for me.

What’s the trick ??

• Like 2

I think what I’m doing wrong is although I’m buying bananas that are green the room temperature is high and that ripens them quickly, when I come to the last two they are already past their best and the taste changes a lot ( IMO ).
I tried putting green bananas in the fridge but then they didn’t seem to ripen when I took them out.

I suppose I should put them in the fridge when they are ripe ?

The plastic wrap seems like a good idea, seem to recall hearing that before somewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Hanging them and make sure the room temperature is not too hot. Try to buy bananas not so ripe, with little green skin and hard meat. Will take few days to ripe.

Good idea, I've never thought about hanging bananas, thank you, will try.

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Put them in the fridge.

Edit.  They will be black, but they are fine inside.

My (Thai) wife agrees. But adds they should be wrapped in (news)paper so they don't get too cold. That is what makes the skin go black. An alternative to the banana bag above - I'd never heard of those.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

Hanging them and make sure the room temperature is not too hot. Try to buy bananas not so ripe, with little green skin and hard meat. Will take few days to ripe.

Just keep them in the fridge. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

The fridge is normally too cold and they actually go black faster.

True for unskined ones but not once peeled.

I was feeling guilty because SWMBO was supplying hands of about 20 to 30 and I certainly couldn't get through them before the skin was paper thin or they went black and mushy & even though they are free I still hate wasting food. So I tried them in the fridge with slight success. Then I thought about peeling them first and that gives me at least 3 days more eating time.

• Like 1

Bananas ripe faster in the presence of other fruit.

don’t keep them to warm but also not in the fridge. And as someone already wrote, cover the stem with plastic foil or aluminium foil. You can keep them much longer.

• Like 2

When you buy bananas in the US. The banana has been picked when it is very green. No where near being ripe. They are refrigerated. When they reach there destination they are gassed with ethylene. Then will start to ripen. Here the fruit is fresh so they ripen naturally.  I keep then in the fridge. It helps them last a little longer.

• Like 2

This is one more small problem I don't have to worry about because I going back to the UK.So I can buy a selection of different ripeness to last me the week.But I really fill for you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1