Thailand not seen as safe tourist destination until it fixes problems: Weerasak

webfact

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thailand has not been classed as a safe tourist destination for quite a while, well before the boat tragedy.

The main issue with a lot of potential visitors is the corruption, right through the system, starting at the top, with fear of no justice should any problems arise. 

And their drug policies and penal system. Archiac, cruel and unjust.

Everybody who calls Thailand even close to safe, should get their head checked!

Boats get overloaded on a daily basis, with not nearly enough (working) safety equipment on board.

All kinds of vehicles would NEVER be allowed to be operated in ANY of our home countries- be it buses, boats, trucks, cars or even planes!

Emergency exits in all kinds of buildings are blocked, turning these buildings into deadly traps in the case of a fire!

Lawlessness and corruption win everyday over safety!

Yes- I take my chances in Thailand too...but just because there is NO alternative!

Not because I like, risking my life on a daily basis!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The main issue is safety costs money... and there lays the problem

No one is prepared to cut into profits to make sure any type of transport be it road or sea is fully equipped with personnel trained & competent in it's daily function or in an emergency!! 

Here profits are top of the list with minimal outlay on anything else...

Safety doesn't need to cost more money. It's simply a matter of getting rid of the overpaid dead wood who are heading government departments and replacing them with competent professionals. And Thailand has far too many underpaid policemen who don't do much that is effective. I would suggest sacking half of them and paying the balance a higher salary, improve their training, give them proper direction, and dismiss those who are corrupt and banning them from ever again working in any government job - and that includes the top brass.

• Like 2

Compensation for the survivors and relatives of the people that died. Benny said they did not respect Thai safety rules, but retracted statement. Skipper charged.

Blame is apportioned before an inquest. Such an inquest would deal with Thai safety rules for commercial passenger boats. 2 other boats sunk in same area but everyone rescued.

The gentleman in the OP look as though they just came from standing in the corner.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Feudalism, powerful families, corruption, greed, cronyism, me first, loss of face, censorship, ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Bingo! Interesting, isn't it, how some nations can control all those things and some can not. With a price to pay for still mentally living in the 'dark ages'.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

What is a safe tourist destination? Chicago? London? Paris?

I'll take my chances in Thailand.

I mean what do you determine as safe, I can't think of many safe places these days in OZ either, put it this way,  you don't find to many grand parents out after dark on public transport with the grand kids thats for sure.

Edited by chainarong

8 hours ago, Sonhia said:

One reason why tourists choose to visit Thailand, is mainly for the sex industry, which is supposedly illegal, but tolerated because it generates revenue via fraud corruption and extortion.

Yea and even the sex trade ain't safe judging by the number of pox clinics in Pattaya .. 

• Haha 2

Thailand is a long, long way from being a safe Holiday destination now.

Not just for the tragic boat accident in Phuket, but for many other reasons also, such as the dangerous roads, the violence shown to foreigners, and the arrogant nature of many Thai people now. .

The boat accident has just highlighted the Tourist Sector within the Country that really does not care about the safety and well being of the people in their charge. Just putting profit before any other consideration.

The value placed on life seems to be less in Thailand than in some places in the world. That being said people, Thais and visitors to the Kingdom, must make smart choices and be aware that there are dangers here that are not present in countries where there is less corruption. It cost less to pay the safety inspectors to look the other way than to pay for the safeguards found in more developed countries with a more robust inspection and enforcement program. 

But Thailand is fortunate. The people are engaging, the sights are fascinating, and the culture is intoxicating. Tourist will keep coming despite the many safety dangers, tourist traps designed to fleece visitors, and variable pricing that charges visitors twice the price of locals. 

The mystique and uncertainty is part of the tourist love affair/appeal with Thailand.  Not nearly as many people would come if it was another ultra cleansed Disney style theme park.  I mean, what fun would it be if you didn't experience extortion (or attempts) on a daily basis, and everything else listed on this thread...

• Like 1

"Authorities should then try to figure out what happened to the boats" This clearly shows the Thai authority does not even has the slightest clue on the safety at all! The world knows very well how this country works but did not see it coming that so many tourists were perished by their negligence.

10 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Said it before, and I'll say it again, one can't come to a third world country and expect first world safety standards. Years ago it was harder to be informed of the dangers and know what to avoid, but now with the www there is fb, other social media and countless online forums and sites, so there really is no excuse for not doing a bit of research and making your own decisions. Remember, a few high rises on Sukh and a couple of 5 star yoga retreats on Samui doesn't make this place a first world country.

I wonder why the Thai authorities do not read the same web sites and learn some safety measures from them?  How is a layman undertaking a bungi-jump or some other potentially dangerous sport for the very first time expected to be able to inspect all the equipment?  He has to assume that the owners of the business know what they are doing and understand that the safety of their customers is paramount.  This is hardly the case in Thailand and so, the country will inevitably be tarnished by reports of accidents to tourists, whether they be on land or sea. As we learned only last week, 70 people eating in a restaurant were not safe either when the floor collapsed.  Many x-pats enjoy their life here but that does not mean that they are happy with the lack of safety standards. For most of us, it is the number of deaths and injuries on the road which cause the most concern as, normally, we are unable to avoid that danger completely, whereas other dangerous activities are usually a matter of personal choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DM07 said:

Don't let get facts in the way of the defenders of everything "Thai"...

Naw, it isn't that. It's more like a recognition that shit happens in this world and when your number is up, it's up. I lived for 25 years in the most dangerous area of the USA statistically and I'm still here. 

But shit happens. And to sit in mommys basement and whinge about it tells more about you than the stuff you are whinging about. Especially when you are quoting statistics. Like road deaths. Possibly the worst stay you can use.

In 2000, I got overcharged by a Taxi Driver. Cost me $1! Only time in 18 years. Thai taxi drivers all suck, therefore? I almost fell off the San Saeb canalboat. Must be unsafe! Guess I rode it the next day.

Whatever. Quit judging a country and people by your standards when that culture is alien to you. 

Have fun! You die,you die,no big deal.

Doing things the right way may cost a lot more cash and every single tourist will be affected, if things are all gonna be done straight then we should all brace for impact because is gonna hit us all deep in the pockets. Just saying ....

• Like 1

Yes, sadly, travelling around Thailand is dangerous & I have stopped risking it since 2005. I don't enjoy it as I find it too stressful, safety standards are just ignored ...... plus customer consideration, which I've witnessed first hand is not a priority here . It's a real shame as the tourist industry here is failing badly in the "eyes of the world" & there are some really fantastic places I'd like to visit, especially now that I'm fully retired & have all the time in the world to do it, but until the situation improves I'll remain at home. Land, sea or air is not safe in Thailand .................. the safety standards are not maintained & are apt to be completly forgotten when it comes to loss of revenue or the high cost of maintenance. During the last ten years they almost lost their international routes to europe & the US because of it. Only when international organisations intervene & a direct threat to stop further travel outside of Thailand was there something done ................... it just confirms that there is a serious lack of safety here. I'm in my 15th year of retirement & during this time I've not only witnessed a major tragedy in Phuket Xmas 2004, but also aircraft crashes, boat's sinking, tour bus crashes etc ...... plus the daily carnage of motorbikes/cars on the roads here. I honestly can not see any urgency by government to improve the situation. The government must enforce laws & get extremely tough, but that will not happen .......... it really is a complex topic & trying to change the mindset here will be extremely difficult ... fact.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Saladin said:

Nearly every day in Chiang Mai the police set up a roadside block opposite Maya Shipping Centre to check motor bike riders for not wearing a helmet and/or having a rider's licence. And while the former is laudable, the latter has very little relevance to a rider's competence and therefore does nothing for road safety. This police presence involves no less than eight policemen plus two officers who sit at a desk writing tickets and collecting the loot. Meanwhile, in Nimmanhaemin Road which is Chiang Mai's most popular streets for Chinese tourists, and is only 50 metres away, there is no police presence whatsoever. Shortly after 11PM every night a convoy of up to 50 motorbikes roars down Nimmanhaemin Road at excessive speed. Few riders wear helmets, many don't have lights, some bikes are carrying 3 or even 4 riders, and riders straddle the double lines, with impunity.

The root cause of the dangerous roads situation is not the fault of the riders and drivers but rather the police not enforcing the existing traffic rules. And let us not blame the foot soldiers for they are just doing what they are instructed to do by their superiors. A Government purge of the lazy, incompetent, and often corrupt top cops is essential in making the roads safe for Thais and foreign tourists alike.

I agree totally with Saladin.  Substitute any Thai city for Chang Mai and the size of the problem is apparent to all intelligent, uncorrupted beings which excuses 95% of BIB.  In Pattaya two weeks ago, there were TWO Bandit Blocks in four kilometres on the same road.

6 hours ago, Daveyh said:

Yes, sadly, travelling around Thailand is dangerous & I have stopped risking it since 2005. I don't enjoy it as I find it too stressful, safety standards are just ignored ...... plus customer consideration, which I've witnessed first hand is not a priority here . It's a real shame as the tourist industry here is failing badly in the "eyes of the world" & there are some really fantastic places I'd like to visit, especially now that I'm fully retired & have all the time in the world to do it, but until the situation improves I'll remain at home. Land, sea or air is not safe in Thailand .................. the safety standards are not maintained & are apt to be completly forgotten when it comes to loss of revenue or the high cost of maintenance. During the last ten years they almost lost their international routes to europe & the US because of it. Only when international organisations intervene & a direct threat to stop further travel outside of Thailand was there something done ................... it just confirms that there is a serious lack of safety here. I'm in my 15th year of retirement & during this time I've not only witnessed a major tragedy in Phuket Xmas 2004, but also aircraft crashes, boat's sinking, tour bus crashes etc ...... plus the daily carnage of motorbikes/cars on the roads here. I honestly can not see any urgency by government to improve the situation. The government must enforce laws & get extremely tough, but that will not happen .......... it really is a complex topic & trying to change the mindset here will be extremely difficult ... fact.

How true your comments are but its no good to be in fear of the sub standards here , being aware should stand you in good stead and that will enable you to enjoy the good things in Thailand . Some things are unavoidable such as walking on hazardous pavements , using the roads and bad manners when shopping . However I think the longer you live here the more the more experienced you become to deal with the way things are here .        No point in being a recluse , get out there and enjoy yourself cos life is too short .

• Like 1

In my sceptical little mind, I cannot help thinking that more laws only increases the opportunity for more corruption, AKA 'brown envelopes'.

After all, if you cannot enforce current laws what is the point in introducing new laws? :thumbsup:

On 7/18/2018 at 6:42 AM, z42 said:

In some respects Thailand is pretty safe and certainly secure, but in many cases it is dangerous and lawless as some of the most notorious scams have been going on for decades and have been shown to have the authorities in cahoots in orchestrating them.

Example in point, the jet ski scams, where a nice cop will come along and negotiate a lower fine rather than bust the people who are threatening violence on others. The general safety seems ok, but on islands such as those in the Samui archilpelago the problems are not so much safety, more justice when people have been raped, robbed, killed or whatever.

Those in uniform are tainted because it seems that the bad apples outnumber the good considerably. This will dent confidence undoubtedly

Thailand is relatively safe, as long as you stay at home. If you venture out of your home, the roads are deadly. So, you have to be extremely aware at all times, when driving. If you are walking on the sidewalk in a place like Samui, you have to be constantly aware of low hanging signs, that can cut your head wide open. Also, same goes for the sidewalks. They are a hazard. I driving a motorbike on Samui or Phuket, do so with extreme caution, and only if you have many years of driving experience. Alot of tourists return home in wooden boxes, after a vacation on Samui or Phuket. 

My advice to anyone visiting Thailand is, if you are here in the rainy season, do not even consider going on any boat trips or diving. Avoid any bungee jumping, zip lines, or anything that requires experts to assemble. There is little in the way of safety standards, and you cannot count on the authorities to enforce safety standards. You cannot count on the police, in the event of an emergency, as 90% of them are compromised, and are revenue collection agents, posing as policemen. Make sure you have good health insurance, or an accident policy, as the private hospitals will not take you in without that.

The one fortunate part about living here, or visiting Thailand is the people. As long as you keep your nose clean, are respectful toward the people, and do not do anything really stupid, the people are cool. Thais are not violent for the most part, and the ones who are, inflict their violence on other Thais, and rarely on foreigners. I feel much safer here, than in the US, where violence and gun deaths are rampant. 

• Like 2

On Wed Jul 18 2018 at 9:45 AM, stanleycoin said:

So what do we need, a new government department to manage Greed correctly. :giggle:

And Regulatory Authorities all the way....in every aspect of anything to do with Tourism and associated services.... unregistered Businesses to be closed down.... Not difficult .... Spain started this....back in Late 60s...it works!!

On Thu Jul 19 2018 at 9:47 AM, superal said:

How true your comments are but its no good to be in fear of the sub standards here , being aware should stand you in good stead and that will enable you to enjoy the good things in Thailand . Some things are unavoidable such as walking on hazardous pavements , using the roads and bad manners when shopping . However I think the longer you live here the more the more experienced you become to deal with the way things are here .        No point in being a recluse , get out there and enjoy yourself cos life is too short .

True.... look away..... one learns to enjoy life.... away from it all....it used to bother me no end. ..the food,market,the sea...the weather....I miss some parts of life Very much....Ying Yang.... life too short to be bothering about others...For 10 years we didn't have a good road.....2 shocks replacement later.....a new road arrived....and guess what?....the stupid kids are racing on their bikes..... soon there will be a nasty accident....and all well again!It is the way these folks live....and I sing that song......."let it be"..... Good day!

On 7/18/2018 at 4:21 AM, webfact said:

Concerned agencies should collect statistics nationwide about boat accidents and study international standards for tour boats that can be compared to Thailand. 

Sounds great, only problem is there are none.   No international standards in Thailand.

In my country Norway , one of the leading shipbuilders in the world,  not one of those cheap boats made in China would be approved for any passenger traffic. 

The real quality ones are just too expensive  to buy for the tour operators so they are stuck with the cheap ones. 

International standards ? Forget it. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 7:31 AM, ramrod711 said:

10 years ago my wife and I were on Koh Samet. At that time you paid the boat operator to take you to the Island and back, all you had to do was phone and they would send a boat. When the boat arrived my wife jumped on the platform at the stern and beckoned for me to get aboard. I took one look at the overloaded boat that contained no life jackets and refused to board. My wife was furious, we called, they came, why wouldn't I board. I told her that there was no way I was going to end up in the sea, telling myself that I knew I shouldn't have got on that boat. People have to use their own common sense occasionally.

Could have cost you both your lives...well done for such quick thinking