Thailand not seen as safe tourist destination until it fixes problems: Weerasak

webfact

After reading the headline:

Thailand not seen as safe tourist destination until it fixes problems: Weerasak - I thought either someone has given him a shot of Pentothal, or he has nibbled from the well of wisdom.

But then I read this:

“send a convincing message to the world that Thailand is still a safe destination for tourists.” 

Maybe the well of wisdom is contaminated by flood water…

• Haha 1

Most important...

"He also urged authorities to explain that the cause of the accident was not related to so-called zero-dollar tours or nominee ownership in tourism."

Yeah, please don't do that.  That might cause the spotlight to spoil the racket of the rich and powerful behind the Chinese mass tourists, and could cost me my job (and my cut).

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thailand has not been classed as a safe tourist destination for quite a while, well before the boat tragedy.

The main issue with a lot of potential visitors is the corruption, right through the system, starting at the top, with fear of no justice should any problems arise. 

Strict and stringent Regulatory Authorities should be formed!....in every part of the Tourism sector....I saw this in Spain in late 60s/70s.....not one place was unregistered....even then there were irregularities.....so where do These guys begin?

1 hour ago, coxo said:

The only problem with Thailand's attitude to tourism is GREED, they have people with money BUT no brains controlling to much, the GREED problem.....

So what do we need, a new government department to manage Greed correctly. :giggle:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

What is a safe tourist destination? Chicago? London? Paris?

I'll take my chances in Thailand.

I agree , I feel safe over here but how many Chinese tourists have died in , say London this year. Just how many have died at sea or on the roads ?  I feel relatively safe as I have been here full time since 2005 and are aware of the pitfalls.

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

But what will it take to get results from bus transport. I suggest they take this same action with the buses and mini van transport. I feel they are far more deadly to all.

I have stopped taking these mini vans for visa runs. They are accidents waiting to happen. I will spend the money and fly out of the country...spend a day or 2 and then fly back in. That 8-9 hours in the mini vans is just not worth it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thailand has not been classed as a safe tourist destination for quite a while, well before the boat tragedy.

The main issue with a lot of potential visitors is the corruption, right through the system, starting at the top, with fear of no justice should any problems arise. 

yep, spent another  6hours myself in the police station the other day. weve got people terrorizing us and even trying to burn our house down just because they are racist criminals that dont like do gooders. yet again i was forced to protect my property yet i have to pay money. police and all government officials are corrupt xenophobic children

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Wife's colleague got her purse stolen in London last. month. Couldn't get immediate help as the local police station was shut as it was a weekend lol. 

To be honest, I feel safer there than wandering around parts of Sydney or Brisbane late at night. I think drunk brawling tourists are more of a threat to one's safety in places like Pattaya. I've never had a problem with the locals. 

• Like 1

The 48 killed on the boat are a drop in the bucket compared to those slaughtered and injured on Thai roads every year.  What's that get?  Not even lip service.

The human condition: 
Kill a boat load of tourists - Its A Tragedy!!!
Kill a few hundred and injure a few thousand tourists on the roads over 365 days - No one notices. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

But not on boats, trains, buses and minibuses if you have any sense.

I don't know about Chicago, but I agree with you about London and Paris. London's knife crime has gone through the roof since our beloved mayor Khan took the reins. Boats, trains, buses and minibuses are rellatively safe compared to Thailand.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Meanwhile on the roads over sixty people are killed DAILY (some of them tourists) because there is no policing.  Any comment on that Mr Weerasak?

speed cameras will solve all that, just you see the figures plummet ( NOT) next year.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

With the length of time that Thailand has been a world-wide desired tourist destination, it's shocking that these basic fundamentals of safety are still being discussed.

And let's add that Thailand has been on Planet Earth for the same length of time as other nations. Much, much longer than some, with a culture they are so proud of. So why is it still a nation with third world standards? Other countries have developed, why not Thailand?

4 hours ago, Sonhia said:

Thailand has been unsafe for years!

Lawless. Lack of health and safety. Corruption. Extortion. Greed. Two tear pricing for foreigners. Lack of respect...

Look at the over-head power cables in the streets and roads, lack of road management, driver skills and so on.

One reason why tourists choose to visit Thailand, is mainly for the sex industry, which is supposedly illegal, but tolerated because it generates revenue via fraud corruption and extortion.

Says it all... Money, not life, is more important!

Thailand sex industry is big business without any doubt and is a magnet to many tourists . 

The point of concern to me is the way Thailand is marketed on the media to sell itself to innocent , unsuspecting holiday makers . The UK TV adverts show a land and beaches of paradise along with beautiful Thai ladies dressed in traditional clothing . 

Thailand should come with a health warning or at least some guidance from the UK foreign office . Many tourists assume that the level of safety they are used to in say Europe will be similar in Thailand but as we all know from experience that is not the case and when there is an event of an accident or crime there is often little redress . Tourists holidaying in Thailand should be told that insurance is mandatory .

• Like 2

No one has confidence in words, especially when the words are coming from Thailand, only actions gain confidence and so far there has not been any signs that the will is there to change anything

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Meanwhile on the roads over sixty people are killed DAILY (some of them tourists) because there is no policing.  Any comment on that Mr Weerasak?

Nearly every day in Chiang Mai the police set up a roadside block opposite Maya Shipping Centre to check motor bike riders for not wearing a helmet and/or having a rider's licence. And while the former is laudable, the latter has very little relevance to a rider's competence and therefore does nothing for road safety. This police presence involves no less than eight policemen plus two officers who sit at a desk writing tickets and collecting the loot. Meanwhile, in Nimmanhaemin Road which is Chiang Mai's most popular streets for Chinese tourists, and is only 50 metres away, there is no police presence whatsoever. Shortly after 11PM every night a convoy of up to 50 motorbikes roars down Nimmanhaemin Road at excessive speed. Few riders wear helmets, many don't have lights, some bikes are carrying 3 or even 4 riders, and riders straddle the double lines, with impunity.

The root cause of the dangerous roads situation is not the fault of the riders and drivers but rather the police not enforcing the existing traffic rules. And let us not blame the foot soldiers for they are just doing what they are instructed to do by their superiors. A Government purge of the lazy, incompetent, and often corrupt top cops is essential in making the roads safe for Thais and foreign tourists alike.

• Like 2

unsafe ,lawless corrupt on and on...but for gods sake ''clean the place up''...even my 4 your old knows how to p/u after himself,this country is a pig stye

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

Thailand competes with other developing countries for tourists. There are many ignorant tourists who will go anywhere that is cheap, without travel insurance, and with little regard for their safety.

If you want to visit a country that has its culture well-preserved and presented, is safe, democratic, has rule-of-law, freedom of speech, then you have to pay more...

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“If we can manage all the issues we then can send a single, convincing message to the world, the Chinese, and local people and ask them to have confidence in us,” he said.

While fully agreeing with this statement, I have to admit I have zero confidence it will come to pass.  But he very well described the issues and it was a good statement.  At least the quality of the BS is increasing, maybe that's cause for hope!  ? 

• Like 2