Media warned against interviewing Wild Boars boys or face legal action

rooster59

Media warned against interviewing Wild Boars boys or face legal action

121.png

Members of the Thai and foreign media have been asked not to interview any of the 12 Wild Boars young footballers or face legal that could lead to a six-month imprisonment and/or a fine of up to 60,000 baht.

The warning  was issued by the public relations office of Chiang Rai province after a correspondent of ABC News had an interview with one of the survivors from Tham Luang cave in defiance of advice of psychiatrists and child welfare officials.

The interview which was aired Thursday night created an uproar in the Thai social media.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/media-warned-interviewing-wild-boars-boys-face-legal-action/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-22

This is getting stupidly surreal, don't interview the boys, don't even look at them, fines and imprisonment awaiting to the one that will dare to defy that what now become a law all of sudden, did we say say redicioules and overbearing already? meanwhile, millions of other kids needy and disadvantageous around the country who are deserving a real attention from the government are being passed over while the cave boys get the superstar treatments...  

Legal action from breaking what law, talking with a kid? What a load of milarky! Kids may as well milk it for their 15 minutes of fame & make some money off it. Why no, happens everywhere else. These kids would be the talk show circuit back in the states & being paid quite well for it.

Thailand, Land of ridiculousness. 

It's difficult to know how they come up with these laws.   As long as the parents consent to the interview (and are present), there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be allowed to be interviewed.   

Unless there is some pending legal action that would prevent them from talking, there is no problem.   Even if there is, it is the journalists who should be advised about not asking a particular line of questioning.   

I have a feeling it is the gov't and some of the officials who are going to make a bit of dosh on this situation.   

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

This is getting stupidly surreal, don't interview the boys, don't even look at them, fines and imprisonment awaiting to the one that will dare to defy that what now become a law all of sudden, did we say say redicioules and overbearing already? meanwhile, millions of other kids needy and disadvantageous around the country who are deserving a real attention from the government are being passed over while the cave boys get the superstar treatments...  

Stupid? The one that is stupid, would be the one that can´t accept that the kids need their private life back.

1 hour ago, TumblinDice said:

Legal action from breaking what law, talking with a kid? What a load of milarky! Kids may as well milk it for their 15 minutes of fame & make some money off it. Why no, happens everywhere else. These kids would be the talk show circuit back in the states & being paid quite well for it.

Thailand, Land of ridiculousness. 

That is the reason why so many people think that the US is the state of ridiculousness. Nice to see that the authorities in Thailand don´t want the same stamp and accept their responsibility to protect the people.

42 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

.........or face legal that could lead to a six-month imprisonment

and/or a fine of up to 60,000 baht...............

The kid has not been forced or interviewed against his will.

$$$$$ against THB.

That's business honey.

In my opinion a too small amount. Can not put a price on a kids privacy and right to recover. The kid is not old enough to fully understand the negative effects of to many stressful and idolising interviews. The parnets only think about the money they can get, instead of their childrens well beeing. Because of that the authorities are diong the right thing.

Prayuth ignorantly and stupidly, in an overbearing display of pseudo machismo, said the kids weren't sedated. They were. And now they don't want that embarrassing question and answer repeated.

Dictators don't like conversations. They like scripts and orders

Given that the coach and several of the boys are stateless, methinks the powers that be are really not so much concerned about the effect exposure to the media could have on the boys.....

..... But more about what the media could expose about the rights and treatment of minorities and stateless people in Thailand.

57 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Stupid? The one that is stupid, would be the one that can´t accept that the kids need their private life back.

That is the reason why so many people think that the US is the state of ridiculousness. Nice to see that the authorities in Thailand don´t want the same stamp and accept their responsibility to protect the people.

In my opinion a too small amount. Can not put a price on a kids privacy and right to recover. The kid is not old enough to fully understand the negative effects of to many stressful and idolising interviews. The parnets only think about the money they can get, instead of their childrens well beeing. Because of that the authorities are diong the right thing.

OK, so just what "law/s" have been broken, or do you believe you must "protect" all the Thai authorities say, just remember, psychologists/psychiatrists ENCOURAGE people to talk/discuss their problems, you would have them do the opposite, it is time you sort help.

1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

I have had a number of friends in the states wonder how these kids are doing. They followed this story, cheered when the boys were rescued and are honestly interested. 

My mom asked me how they are doing?  I just told her if i told you i would have to kill you. And then i said if you ever ask me again i might just kill myself.

I think the authorities need to understand they don’t own the kids. By all means give advice and offer support, but if the kids are going to talk to anyone it will be with the consent of the parents. 

Go ahead and imprison some foreign or local journalists. See what kind of reaction that gets you. 

All this nonsense about not allowing the boys to be interviewed is nothing what so ever to do with protecting the boys it is about those in authority here making sure they get a Big cut of any monies involved.

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

Exactly which law would they be breaking? Are the state now their official guardians?

I was going to ask exactly the same question, but you beat me to it.

The answer of course is:  Don't you know where you are? We don't need any laws. We just make them up as we go along to suit our fancy and purpose.

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

All this nonsense about not allowing the boys to be interviewed is nothing what so ever to do with protecting the boys it is about those in authority here making sure they get a Big cut of any monies involved.

Movie rights, presumably if they can manage it, with the government's hands all over it. Carefully scripted and controlled to show just what they want.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Movie rights, presumably if they can manage it, with the government's hands all over it. Carefully scripted and controlled to show just what they want.

Seeing as this is not a book or physical record as such; who would own the movie rights? Without some sort of copyright is there in fact any ownership of rights to the story at present? At present would it actually be feasible for a movie company to make the film outside of Thailand and need no Thai input at all?

The answers may be obvious but to me it seems that this is a very different situation than having a book for which you sell the movie rights. Maybe someone could go and quickly write a book on the rescue, copyright it and have full rights to the film that way.

Hmmm.

Government controlling media.

They are ours to control.

We gave you a choreographed and well rehearsed news conference, what more could the media want?

We'll give you a movie (which we will bless and profit from, so relax.

Don't screw up these kids, we will do it ourselves!

26 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Seeing as this is not a book or physical record as such; who would own the movie rights? Without some sort of copyright is there in fact any ownership of rights to the story at present? At present would it actually be feasible for a movie company to make the film outside of Thailand and need no Thai input at all?

The answers may be obvious but to me it seems that this is a very different situation than having a book for which you sell the movie rights. Maybe someone could go and quickly write a book on the rescue, copyright it and have full rights to the film that way.

I was thinking not in terms of buying rights to a prior book, but rather, buying access to the boys and their accounts of what happened for purposes of making a movie... Who knows, maybe even being in the movie, for a Thai produced version.

Of course, AFAIK, anyone outside Thailand can make any movie they want based on the known facts and details of what happened, as limited and sometimes obscured as they are. But that's not quite the same as getting direct access to and participation of those involved, or even, if an outside movie production was so foolish, trying to gain physical access to the actual location, which I'm sure would incur government interference and attempted control like no one's ever seen before.

The guys at the Foreign Correspondent Club must be packing up their stuff already. It would be very interesting for the international media to be informed on which law the thread is based on. Even though they know already Thais don't need laws to come up with ridiculous BS.

On the other hand, if used wisely and equally this regulation could spare us from the daily dose of nonsense raining down from the propaganda designers at the Ministry of Truth (Newspeak: Minitrue).

Archived