Media warned against interviewing Wild Boars boys or face legal action

rooster59

Guess they are only worried about some of the boys becoming a showcase of the situation of stateless people on Thailand. So, very sanctimoniously, they "protect" the boys...

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The warning  was issued by the public relations office of Chiang Rai province

Who the h*ll is the public relations office making any warning to possible commitment of a crime?

They have no legal or law enforcement authority.

It seems the militancy of Prayut has become so embedded within the Thai government that every government official feels the absolute power to dictate the People, no matter how low or insignificant their position.

As I said before the boys should have had a media manager appointed in the beginning making sure they were adequately looked after both financially and from a health standpoint...and hopefully not a government appointed committee....

The story is internationally interesting.....so the media from the west with all its faults and freedoms is going to be interested.

It seems that yet again the authorities in Thailand are out of touch with much of the rest of the world.......lets hope its just their normal feeling that they should be able to control the press in all circumstances and they are not worried about  any revelations as to incompetence by the authorities or the lack of health and safety compliance

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of outrage and cynicism about the Thai authorities clamping down. I would think that interviewing someone who's just survived a traumatic event puts them at risk of re-creating the trauma, and that was the reason given for having the media ceremony with questions that had already been vetted (there were whole chunks of the experience that weren't asked about), and for asking journalists to keep their grubby paws of these kids. So personally I'm glad that there is some protection for these kids, no matter how nominal or how self-interested its motivation. 

The press do interviews for making money – give the kids a chance, to get their life back.

It's the right thing to do – keeping media away – giving the kids a change to return to a normal a life as possible. The fine, up to six month and/or 65k baht, was mentioned before the press conference, which also ended with an appeal to the press for not following the kids.

Morons.

Left to the devices of the local rescue elements, the kids - who, need one point out, got themselves into the trouble that required an international rescue mission - might still be in there.

Stop uttering ludicrous threats and try accommodating the media. The kids won't be of interest for long. 

2 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

the kids - who, need one point out, got themselves into the trouble

The kids were led to and into the caves by the coach.

But there seems little interest by authorities to hold the coach and head coach (who only knew the coach was taking the kids somewhere for a team building exercise) accountable.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Stupid? The one that is stupid, would be the one that can´t accept that the kids need their private life back.

That is the reason why so many people think that the US is the state of ridiculousness. Nice to see that the authorities in Thailand don´t want the same stamp and accept their responsibility to protect the people.

In my opinion a too small amount. Can not put a price on a kids privacy and right to recover. The kid is not old enough to fully understand the negative effects of to many stressful and idolising interviews. The parnets only think about the money they can get, instead of their childrens well beeing. Because of that the authorities are diong the right thing.

I see what you mean and I agree when you say the kid is not old enough and his privacy must be protected. However there are a couple of points to discuss just for the sake of discussion:

* we do not know the amount paid so how could it be too small?

* Parents gave their permission  to the interview. 

* The kid seemed to be very happy to do the interview.

* Some of these kids are and have been stateless in Thailand , they had to get famous before someone actually cared for and protected them (finally). 

I think it is safe to assume that the whole story is really  about a foreign journalist doing the interview before the Thais.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

I see what you mean and I agree when you say the kid is not old enough and his privacy must be protected. However there are a couple of points to discuss just for the sake of discussion:

* we do not know the amount paid so how could it be too small?

* Parents gave their permission  to the interview. 

* The kid seemed to be very happy to do the interview.

* Some of these kids are and have been stateless in Thailand , they had to get famous before someone actually cared for and protected them (finally). 

I think it is safe to assume that the whole story is really  about a foreign journalist doing the interview before the Thais.

I could be wrong though.

Many of your points are right on target. The kid was elated to do the interview. Racism is alive and it did take this in oder to let some of them become considered to be not stateless, but this will be by ID only. It is not about protection as it is more as Face and a closed farce government regime society. There is no freedom only onwership. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So what’s to hide?

Him being stateless is known already he is an adult so?

Your question has already been answered..... 

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With supposed Thai citizenship offers being dangled....  by those they dare not cross.

The coach would likely know, and / or have been told, to remain silent. 

Some police officer was already talking about prosecuting the coach, before the team were even found.

Edited by Aj Mick

The decision is the soul decision of the parents. 

The psychiatrist has ordered everyone no interviews and will check the families every one or two months. 

Unless of course, it is organised and approved by her. 

She's a charlatan. 

Let them have their 5 minutes of fame. They'll love it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thailand said:

Surely if the parents or guardians give permission for interviews it is not a problem?

Get the money now whilst interest is still at it's peak.

Yes...and no. There is a lot of interest and if done with concern for the impact on the kids, no problem. But too much of this can cause problems as the fame declines and the kids have learned to expect it. In the end getting back to a normal life quickly would be advisable, but if some cash could be made to be applied for future education that would lead to future success it sure seems like a good idea.

21 hours ago, Lingba said:

what a bunch of bullshit from a fearful leader and his band of cronies...what a pitiful country

Actually the country is great.

It is the people who run it that are the problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

THe families can decide for themselves , if they will earn 500k THB  for an interview its life changing money for them .  

The Thai government can not prevent that from happening. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, balo said:

THe families can decide for themselves , if they will earn 500k THB  for an interview its life changing money for them .  

The Thai government can not prevent that from happening. 

That is precisely why the government wants to control this.   That money could go to *gasp* the kids or their family instead of the pockets of some officious official. 

You also can't have ordinary Thais making decisions for themselves. That could lead to all sorts of mischief.

The officials in Bangkok know what is best for the kids and their families.  And how are they going to afford expensive cars, condos and trips abroad if they don't get most, if not all, of the money that is paid for interviews?  Very selfish to ignore the god-given privileges of privileged Thais ?

• Like 2