German man arrested for NINETEEN year overstay

webfact

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes may well be true.

But cant he go back to Germany , change his name legally via deed pole

get a new passport and return to Thailand. ? don't think the face reconition 

camera computer systems works in Thailand.  that well,  or at all at the borders 

Only saying. :jap:

not that simple anymore and if caught trying to cheat the ban then i would assume he'd be looking at jail time and then another deportation probably with a life time ban

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAG said:

If he has been here 19 years, without any trips home, it is most likely that he had no real relatives or friends in Germany. So unless the German government take responsibility, will he remain detained indefinitely? Possibly for life?

A few months probably.  There are some organisations that will provide charity in the worst case scenario.  But if he is not physically fit, even a few months in those conditions could make him very ill, or worse. The conditions are rather harsh to say the least.

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

Of course I'm sure. Whereas I had unlimited access across the border to Thailand now I have 2 trips a year. After which, I am obliged to buy an additional visa for 5000 baht which is good for 6 months.

I have friends who live in Nong Khai and cross the bridge daily. It now costs them 10,000 baht a year to see their wife and kids everyday.

What is causing the confusion here?

Because most of us live here on marriage, family, or retirement extensions which cost us 1900 baht yearly.  You are doing it a more expensive way or are not really anything other than a tourist.  But I doubt fee avoidance was his main motive.  It seems he was once quite respectable, so you have to assume some misfortune befell him.

6 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Amount of time in jail: 2 years

Amount of time he would have lost doing visa runs: 2 years

10 year ban at the age of 60 in a country he has lived in for nearly 20 years and no doubt all his friends are here and perhaps even a family. he won't be able to come back until he's 70.

got to go IDC and somehow get back to germany a country he hasn't been to in 20 years and find work at the age of 60 after living here for so long is not good, in fact, if i was him and given the option of 2 years in jail i'd probably take it depending on his full situation support wise in germany

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jouec said:

No they haven't. When I first started coming here about 20 years ago, it was easy to get a non immigrant multiple o visa. You just applied to Hull and it was done. No questions were asked on arrival and you got 15 months hassle free (90 day visa runs). Tourist visa were also a doddle and there were various places you could go & you never feared of problems with re-entry.

Indeed, these multiple non o's were easily available right up until 2012-3, just for the purpose of visiting friends or family. Even after that, triple entry tourist visas were given without question, £75 and good for up to nine months, until they were replaced at the stroke of a pen in November 2015 by the draconian multiple entry tourist visa. During this same time period border runs were largely done away with and most classes of visa tightened up considerably. It's worth remembering that for 75% of his overstay period the German was committing (in Thai immigration's own admission) an extremely trivial offence. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2018 at 12:50 AM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

Far too sensible. Therefore not likely to happen. :jap:

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

How much? Mine's about 1900 baht.

Overstay is really a misdemeanour.

Also, you are pretty sure your narrative is right.  Why?... there is very little information about him.

I can only quote on what has been posted. I don’t know if the media are true or not but i am

judging the story not the person

what you mean your visa is 1900 baht ?

visa runs. 

2 - 3 days on buses and boat 

whilst there are others out there that reckon they can get away without going what the rest of us are forced to do 

7 minutes ago, BigC said:

I can only quote on what has been posted. I don’t know if the media are true or not but i am

judging the story not the person

what you mean your visa is 1900 baht ?

visa runs. 

2 - 3 days on buses and boat 

whilst there are others out there that reckon they can get away without going what the rest of us are forced to do 

The 1900 baht he's posting about is an extension of stay requiring 90 day reports at local Imm'

It's not actually a visa as visas are issued by an embassy/consulate outside Thailand.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

I ask in case he has no one to buy a ticket for him, and in case the German government refuses to provide a ticket.

The embassy will first try to find any relatives. If they don't find any who pay for the flight, they are the ones who have to pay for.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:26 AM, LukKrueng said:

30+ years ago they were 2 within few years. The first one cleared some 50k illegals. Couple of years after that there were over 100k and after the 2nd many more were queuing up waiting for the 3rd. So the government realized this wasn't the solution and vowed never to have another

In Australia?

23 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes may well be true.

But cant he go back to Germany , change his name legally via deed pole

get a new passport and return to Thailand. ? don't think the face reconition 

camera computer systems works in Thailand.  that well,  or at all at the borders 

Only saying. :jap:

Change of name is almost impossible in Germany.

He had his 20 years in Thailand; that should be enough for him, but there are still other countries like Lao, Cambodia or Vietnam...

I just wonder how he made a living during the 19 years and 4 month.

Is he broke or is he rich ?  Can he pay for his flight to Germany or will he be asking for a

"go fund me" ?

Lousy reporting, leaving too many question.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

yes. there is another reply in this thread saying there were actually 3. Personally I know of 2, both before 1984. 

You're right, two in the 70s and one in 1981. Well you learn something every day, I never knew that and i was born in 69. Cheers.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:52 AM, JAG said:

I ask in case he has no one to buy a ticket for him, and in case the German government refuses to provide a ticket.

That's correct, the German government aren't responsible for buying his ticket, so in effect - no ticket you stay banged up. 

On 7/27/2018 at 5:08 PM, overherebc said:

The 1900 baht he's posting about is an extension of stay requiring 90 day reports at local Imm'

It's not actually a visa as visas are issued by an embassy/consulate outside Thailand.

I know I just wanted the poster to explain it. To verify his her her statement as to get visa costs more

i have been living here for many years with work permit and visa trying to live within the laws pay taxes 

I wish I could have skipped all that over the last 20 years would have saved a fortune in time and money 

so if he gets a slap on the wrists that a slap in the face to all of us that go out of our way to try to stay within the boundaries of the crazy immigration system

• Like 1

For all you people who feel upset that he spent 19 years without bothering with visa and you spent all that time and effort and money getting your visa , console yourself with the probability that hes lost everything and that hes back home with nothing  .

House, car, Wife , kids possessions in Thailand .

All gone for him .

He may be able to get a few things back , but the cost will be quite high and in the long run, it may have been cheaper for him to spend money on a regular visa

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BigC said:

I know I just wanted the poster to explain it. To verify his her her statement as to get visa costs more

i have been living here for many years with work permit and visa trying to live within the laws pay taxes 

I wish I could have skipped all that over the last 20 years would have saved a fortune in time and money 

so if he gets a slap on the wrists that a slap in the face to all of us that go out of our way to try to stay within the boundaries of the crazy immigration system

"....try to stay within the boundaries of the crazy immigration system."

Thailand's immigration system is designed to control people from other countries visiting and immigrating to the Kingdom. It may well be the envy of many European countries that have seen a massive invasion of illegal migrants and to a lesser degree, genuine refugees. This German slipped through the system and will now pay the ultimate price. He had opportunities to legalize his stay but now that is gone, his life has changed for ever, as well as that of any family he may have.

• Thanks 1

a kings pardon can make him legal . back in germany he is entitled from day 1 to social security euro 420 plus free rent, free medical care etc.. . as for name change he could get married take up his wifes name german law permits it. he is only 60.

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigC said:

Assuming that you pay 1900 baht for your extension, in 19 years you would have saved just over 36,000 baht, hardly a fortune.

• Like 1