What do Scouts do in LOS?

thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

So because they don't walk around with a lot of silly badges, they don't learn anything?

Loads of people can read a map but never got a batch for it.

But Thais can't read maps, so at least they don't learn how to read maps there

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

They are not silly badges but badges earned for particular skills that they have been taught.

Having said that they are not Scouts in the way that I was a Scout in the late 1950s.

I was in the scouts around my mid teens, but only because they wanted me in their football team, never

wore any uniform though.

3 hours ago, Stupooey said:

Thai scouts are more like a paramilitary organisation - I've heard them compared to the Hitler Youth - which no doubt instils a sense of the brand of Thainess promoted by our beloved leaders. When I was teaching in Bangkok, the sight of kids as young as 6 being forced to frog march round the playground and salute the pompous Scoutmaster used to turn my stomach. A scene more suited to North Korea or the Stalin era Soviet Union.

"Thai scouts are more like a paramilitary organisation". This is not a Thai bashing answer, just the truth.

Thailand is a very militaristic country, there are uniforms and discipline in all walks of life here, mainly for the entertainment of people in authority. Just about every Thai person with any authority revels in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stupooey said:

Thai scouts are more like a paramilitary organisation - I've heard them compared to the Hitler Youth - which no doubt instils a sense of the brand of Thainess promoted by our beloved leaders. When I was teaching in Bangkok, the sight of kids as young as 6 being forced to frog march round the playground and salute the pompous Scoutmaster used to turn my stomach. A scene more suited to North Korea or the Stalin era Soviet Union.

They enjoy it. Marchimg is good exercise.

When I was in the scouts in the 60s we made wine and took it on our camping trips. Arkayla and the Chief did not know. We had such a good time that when the older ones went away to university they used come back to the scout hut. We all carried knives, mine a six inch bowie knife and learnt lots of wood craft skills .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I was in the scouts around my mid teens, but only because they wanted me in their football team, never

wore any uniform though.

Sorry you did not have the same experience I had but that’s the way it goes....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

Every Tuesday my 10 year old boy wears his "Scouts" uniform to school with hat and Scout badge on shirt......does the same at school as every other day, My older daughter wears her "Guides" uniform to school one day a week, and she does exactly the same as any other day. I get the jist, its just a show thing.

Oh, you mean like the paratrooper wings the police wear?

6 hours ago, grollies said:

You or the scout leader?

A rhetorical question?

Boy scouts at primary schools often don't even know the right greeting, called the Wittayahaht.

The kids from P. 1 to 3 have to use two fingers, the upper primary level 4 to 6 three fingers.

I went to a boy scout camp at the end of the P 6 school year and it was a nice adventure, even when I had to look after them. It's great to get to know them privately when you only know them from the classroom.

Foreign teachers should be more involved in such camps because it's a great chance to develop a good relationship which is important in the classroom. 

In P.5 and 6, they a sort of learn how to tie some knots, but not really.

At the high school, it seems that they're just wearing that uniform because it's Wednesday. When almost adults have to learn right and left in the heat, I don't see any useful outcome.

Boy scout seems to be one of the most hated subjects at Thai schools. Unfortunately, do the teachers not teach them what would be useful for their lives and marching in the boiling sun alone doesn't make them to scouts who can read maps and do things with wood that could be life-saving.  

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

My scout hut was yards from Charterhouse school (R B-P taught there) and had a number of interesting artifacts on the walls and floor inc:

- Zulu shield and short/long spears from Mafeking,

- A white tiger trophy,

- A polar bear skin

- A meter long bone resembling a chainsaw blade & I believe a freshwater croc snout too!

At the tender age of 9 I already knew political correctness and religious content weren't for me so I instead went to the Army cadets which lead to a full career in HMF from the age of 16.

My kids were amazed how much I knew about Baden Powell and had trodden in his footsteps. My first bridge straddled a ditch near the scout hit. I had no idea it would lead to building/laying an assortment of others in later life.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

During the 70s and the communist insurgency, many road signs were removed and Thais were not taught how to read maps, especially in red areas. The older generation still has this weakness. Thailand was one of the first countries in the world (3rd or 4th at least) to adopt scouting in 1911 after Rama VI studied in England. Originally called the Wild Tiger Corps, later called the Scouts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Actually I rather like the fact that Thais have a sense of identity and some pride in their country- and through the rules on land ownership have not been taken over by the Chinese. As always looking in from a Western point of view . 

Hitler Youth - a bit much

"Scouting was first introduced in Thailand as a branch of the Wild Tiger Corps"

I'm sure you know how much the present regime seeks to resurrect the "good old days".  Their antecedents made sure to re-institute an important "symbolic" part of them in the late 50's.

Check out the list of Scout mottos from around the world (mostly the original "Be Prepared" or the like).  One of them in particular sounds "a bit much":

Scout Motto - Wikipedia

Needless to say, the organisations "connections" make it rather difficult to discuss its "peculiar" nature.

Or its actual purpose.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

You can read some great info about Scouting in Thailand at this link - http://www.thaiscouting.com/

When I was about 10-11 years old my mother was the Camp Commissioner for the Hong Kong Girls Guides.  Rather than join the Cubs I instead went to Girl Guide meetings with her and used to go on their camping trips.  I have fond memories of being the only boy amongst a load of 11-18 year old girls who were blossoming into young women ?  

• Like 1