Bangkok Bank: How to withdraw big amounts?

Have been reading reviews on some local hospitals here. A common theme is that cash payments in full are expected no matter the size of the bill, which creates a tough bottleneck at the ATM. I know my limit is 20,000/day

If you go to a branch in person, can I withdraw any amount? Or does BKK bank have restrictions there too?

Edited by Hal65

I have withdrawn well over 1 million THB at a Bangkok Bank branch which was located in a shopping mall complex, so not a big branch but they wanted 1 day notice. So if not sure go and ask them.

• Like 1

As everybody say, you can notice 1 day before and withdraw your full balance in any branch. Regarding the ATM limit, I went in to my branch and lifted that one to 50K bath, so that is also a possibility if not so high amount to pay.

I know for SCB you can raise your daily ATM limit via an option at the ATM itself. Believe it just needed passport number as added verification. Not sure of the maximum increase. I would presume this would be a similar option at BB ATM's?

I have made three lots of 25k withdrawls from an ATM before... I think it was the Bangkok Bank that will do the 25 notes per withdrawal. I have also done 4 withdrawals for 80k from an ATM with 4 withdrawals - maybe Thanachart or K Bank... It was about 2 years ago and I don't need to do that now but all was good. I'm not sure of the statutory limit for withdrawals.

Don't you have a visa or Mastercard debit card that a hospital will accept?

Edited by Farangwithaplan

On 7/31/2018 at 7:45 PM, allane said:

ATM's permit two withdrawals per day, each as high as the stated maximum.

That I think would depend on which bank you are with and what limit you have setup on ATM withdrawals. With my ATM (Bkk bank) I can make as many withdrawals as I need up to the daily limit I have set.

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Haven't been in a hospital yet that refused to take a Thai Bank Debit Card.

Problem solved..

I tried to pay for surgery once and they said cash only but it is a few years ago now

Major bank branches have never refused me any amount, even 10 M in a bkk bank , but it takes a long time to count it

You can raise the limit on your ATM card to 500k on the phone. BKK bank teller did it for me when I needed to transfer 500k to another BKK bank account and questioned why they were going to charge comission to do it.

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Problem solved..

100% solved, in fact the hospital would probably prefer a debit card payment rather than cash.

Not huge numbers, but when my son broke his leg, I paid the 75,000 deposit and the balance of 450,000 with my SCB debit card without any issues at all, the only drawback is the cash has to be in the bank account that the debit card is linked to.

Most banks will allow you to increase the ATM withdrawal limit, I did my SCB one by phone and it is 100,000 now, I seem to remember that the lady on the phone said the max. allowed was 200,000.

26 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Problem solved..

The large govt hospital in Ratchaburi province my mother-in-law uses is "cash only"....or it was approx 1 year ago.  After the mother-in-law's 8 day stay for major back surgery her final portion the bill was a little under 9,000 baht as she had other coverage to cover the great majority of the bill.  My wife wanted to pay with Bangkok Bank debit card but cashier said no debit or credit cards accepted and even pointed to the sign on their cashier windows saying such.    I guess they probably also offered an option to pay large bills via bank transfer to their account, but you couldn't pay with debit or credit when checking out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

That I think would depend on which bank you are with and what limit you have setup on ATM withdrawals. With my ATM (Bkk bank) I can make as many withdrawals as I need up to the daily limit I have set.

I've never heard of any Thai bank or banks having a rule limiting ATM withdrawals to only two per day.

What the various banks do have is, usually, a user adjustable daily limit on the total amount that can be withdrawn from the card via ATMs. With BKKB, that daily limit can be very low, 50K or less, ranging up to very high, I think up to a maximum of a couple hundred thousand per day on a particular card.

With BKKB, I believe you can adjust that card limit at the ATM in settings. Also, you can call in to Bualuang Banking and use their automated phone system to change the daily limit.

However, what the card user CANNOT adjust is the maximum number of bills an ATM will dispense in a single transaction, which for BKKB is 25, I think. So, if you had a 250K baht daily limit on your card, and wanted money from the ATM vs going into the branch, you'd have to make 10 back to back ATM withdrawals, which would be allowed, as long as you didn't exceed your daily limit.

Of course, regarding hospitals, AFAIK, most would be equally willing to do the payment as a single charge against your BKKB debit card (assuming you have enabled the card for Point of Sale (POS) purchases in your card settings with the bank. There's a separate limit setting for BKKB cards that only pertains to POS purchases, so you'd need to adjust that limit according to your needs also.

I have run into some Thai hospitals that say they ONLY will accept credit cards, but not debit cards, for payment. But when I hand them my debit card, they've always run it thru and processed the payment with no problem. Perhaps what they really mean is they won't accept straight ATM cards as opposed to VISA or MC logo debit cards, which can be used for payment pretty much just like a credit card.

Lastly, I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine, there might well be some GOVERNMENT hospitals out there that insist on cash payment as opposed to bank card payments. But I don't have any personal experience on that issue.

I wanted to transfer several millions one time from BKK Bank to a differently named bank.  I thought my limit was 500K per day so went to the branch.  They said they can only do 135K per transaction, and there would be a fee for each one that  stacks up when you're getting into larger amounts.  I asked "Can I withdraw in cash?", they said "Yes", "What does that cost?", "Free".

Not smart carrying that kind of cash around in shopping malls and streets, but I went to destination and thankfully without event.

OP,

Since you implied you have a Bangkok Bank debit and assuming it's a UnionPay card, below is the daily limits you can set. 

And don't confuse the daily limit with how much you can withdraw from an ATM in one transaction as Thai bank ATMs vary in how much they will dispense in one transaction...usually varies from 20K to 30K.  Like Bangkok Bank ATMs are 25K which may be lower in some high use area or if the ATM is running low on cash.

If you still have a Bangkok Bank Visa debit card I think their daily limits/max amounts were very similar based on my memory.   

Just call Bangkok Bank at 1333 and follow the interactive prompts to change your limit up or down....or just talk to a Bankgok Bank rep at 1333.

Bangkok Bank UnionPay Debit card

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/Be1stSmartTPN.aspx

image.png.5f231cdd4cc9b0ecaa5b9539e4cacfc6.png

most hospitals have the means to do the banking in house, had 2 new hips done in kings hospital all banking done in house, if buying new truck or tractor, company salesperson will go with you to the bank and do the transaction there, no charges, i have many times withdrawn over 1mill over the counter at my bangkok bank branch, they will charge you if not your branch bobs

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

100% solved, in fact the hospital would probably prefer a debit card payment rather than cash.

Not huge numbers, but when my son broke his leg, I paid the 75,000 deposit and the balance of 450,000 with my SCB debit card without any issues at all, the only drawback is the cash has to be in the bank account that the debit card is linked to.

Most banks will allow you to increase the ATM withdrawal limit, I did my SCB one by phone and it is 100,000 now, I seem to remember that the lady on the phone said the max. allowed was 200,000.

How is having money in the bank to use a debit card a drawback?  That is what a debit card is...... The world over. 

If it wasn't it would be called a credit card. 

• Sad 1

Just now, tryasimight said:

How is having money in the bank to use a debit card a drawback?  That is what a debit card is...... The world over. 

If it wasn't it would be called a credit card. 

I agree with what you are saying, however, that is not what I said, the drawback would be having the sufficient cash in the same account that the debit card is connected to, so if you are talking a large amount of cash it would have to be in the account that is likely not attracting much, if any interest, most folks don't keep millions of Baht in that type of account with instant access.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

I agree with what you are saying, however, that is not what I said, the drawback would be having the sufficient cash in the same account that the debit card is connected to, so if you are talking a large amount of cash it would have to be in the account that is likely not attracting much, if any interest, most folks don't keep millions of Baht in that type of account with instant access.

OK.... Understand where you are coming from now.  Makes sense.

On 7/31/2018 at 2:33 PM, Hal65 said:

If you go to a branch in person, can I withdraw any amount? Or does BKK bank have restrictions there too?

From my own BKKBank experience, your BKKBank home branch will often have a limit of 1,999,999 baht (i.e. you pay 1 baht and get 2 million baht) in cash a day without prior agreement, other branches than your home branch normally have a lower limit, for example 200,000 baht or 300,000 baht, depending of the rules in the branch.

Your ATM card could default – as my BKKBank ATM – have a limit of 25,000 baht cash per withdrawal, which is also the daily limit, you can however have your daily limit raised to 100,000 baht (or more?), but you need to make 4 withdrawals to get the cash.

Using the ATM to pay at hospital counter you'll ave a higher limit than cash withdraw, could for example be 500,000 baht – provided you have enough cash in the account or a high enough credit limit – and also provided your ATM card is open for payments other than ATM cash withdrawal.

?

52 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Using the ATM to pay at hospital counter you'll ave a higher limit than cash withdraw, could for example be 500,000 baht – provided you have enough cash in the account or a high enough credit limit – and also provided your ATM card is open for payments other than ATM cash withdrawal.

?

So when they ask for cash upfront, ATM is usually accepted? Sorry I want to be extra sure about this.

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:
5 hours ago, khunPer said:

?

So when they ask for cash upfront, ATM is usually accepted? Sorry I want to be extra sure about this.

You can pay with your plastic card at a hospital's cashier, if the card is open for payment – just like when using a normal Master Card, and Visa card, and like – I talk from experience. Check with your bank, issuing your plastic card, what you're allowed to pay.