British family stranded in Thailand over son’s passport issues

webfact

Insanity... 

someone at th airport has created a complex issue out of a simple situation. 

A Thai passport is a quick renewal with the correct documents at hand. Unfortunately, it is this which is taking time.

I guess it always pays to have at least 6 month remaining, but this is a situation where common sense has been knee-capped by bureaucratic tosh... it must be an extremely trying situation for the father.

That said, I’m not sure he needed to overstay, he could have applied for an extension, or made a quick border run. He now risks being locked up for overstay unless he has special permission to remain.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Never a smart move to not know when your passport is about to expire.

Had it not been a Thai passport he would have needed 6 months validity to get in.

I sympathise with their predicament, but you have to say, they do only have themselves to blame, though I hope the authorities can speed things up, for what is after all not a complicated thing to do.

No, for UK residents passport validity for duration of stay is required.

• Like 1

It was silly not know them selfs u come in a thai passport you have to level on one.to blam the thais for your own mess is a bit much.i am scottish i live here work in scotland i would never let my son use a diff passport.use one or other mate.

Check the calendar and you will see that this disaster at the airport happened on the first day of the 4-day weekend. So it was July 31 at the earliest that they could go to the Thai passport office and learn that they would not renew the passport without a Thai ID. I believe that rule applies to everyone, and it especially makes sense for a passport first issued overseas.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

That is what the first post said. He got in because he showed the Thai passport, where expiry after entry was not an issue. Any foreign passport about to expire and he wouldn't have got in in the first place. Same thing all around the world, so nothing unusual about the immigration reaction. You can't exit a country on a foreign passport if you don't have an entry stamp in it.

I hope they manage to get a new one and be on their way soon, but this is their fault for not bothering to check the expiration.

I was reacting to somebody, a moderator!!, claiming 6 months validity would have been required for a UK passport. Which is simply not true.

Now a few years ago me and my Thai wife were going to KL in the check in line we noticed her passport only had two months left Air Asia took great pride in telling her she couldn't travel, then produced her UK passport and was allowed to go. My wife hadn't used the UK one to enter Thailand same as this lad so how was she allowed and he wasn't.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Really? You sure about that? You might want to check again.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Thailand. Entry to Thailand is normally refused if you have a passport which is damaged or has pages missing.

If you’re a dual national you must make sure that when you depart Thailand you have a valid passport of the nationality used to enter, otherwise you may have difficulty in leaving.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

Incorrect, see frequent posts about this on TV forum. It is correct for visa entry, not for visa exempt. See IATA requirements.

6 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I know things aren't properly enforced in Thailand, but these are quotes from both the UK and Thai Gvts about passport validity for entry to Thailand:

From the UK Gvt website:

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Thailand.

Or, from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  - Visa application form completely filled out
  - Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
  - Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

All incorrect.

You're on Thai Visa forum, check the forum for correct information on this.

As mentioned, Visa exempt passport validity for duration of stay is required, for visa application 6 months.

And I see the moderator that gave the incorrect information liked your post with incorrect information. he should enquire with the authorities on the visa section and correct his misinformation.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

All incorrect.

You're on Thai Visa forum, check the forum for correct information on this.

As mentioned, Visa exempt passport validity for duration of stay is required, for visa application 6 months.

And I see the moderator that gave the incorrect information liked your post with incorrect information. he should enquire with the authorities on the visa section and correct his misinformation.

Someone on TV obviously need to contact the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and tell 'em that they've got their passport validity-sh*t all wrong!!?

(6 months validity it is, according to both the Thai & British Gvts, that's the letter of the law, the Thai's are obviously not good at enforcing it).

4 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Someone on TV obviously need to contact the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and tell 'em that they've got their passport validity-sh*t all wrong!!?

(6 months validity it is, according to both the Thai & British Gvts, that's the letter of the law, the Thai's are obviously not good at enforcing it).

Again, not correct.

Darksidedog should check with experts on visa section and post here.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Again, not correct.

Darksidedog should check with experts on visa section and post here.

It was done the other day. Ubon Joe says duration of stay. I wouldn’t disagree with him. 

• Like 1