Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

29 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The military has many factions that are competing. So they might coup-a-loop. I think it's happened once or twice, can't be arsed to check the numerous coups here.

One general (Thanom) couped (is that a word) is own government when he was PM. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:07 AM, brianp0803 said:

Many Thai people earn less than 15,000 baht a month. If someone make three to four times their salary would be considered rich enough  to have enough money to share with them.

Many expat over 50 living in Thailand very likely have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars.

Many expat over 50 living in Thailand very likely have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars.....They are The VERY Lucky Ones Then !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Many expat over 50 living in Thailand very likely have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars.....They are The VERY Lucky Ones Then !!!

Sure are. Don't personally know many people with assets of over 1M dollars in their home countries. I have absolutely no assets in the UK. Nothing. Nadda. Zilch. 

• Like 2

Yeah even though a million ain't what it used to be I think most retirees in Thailand are not up to that wealth level. With that amount there are many more options. Yes Thailand has been one of the easier visa countries but that is changing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Depends on your lifestyle but let's say a retired couple in a beach city, I'll just guesstimate about 150k baht per month for really nice lifestyle. That's about 1.8M baht per year, let's take a modest 3% interest after taxes for invested capital that you could draw out .. you'll need 60M baht interest producing capital to live off the interest, that's about 2M US$, give or take. Million ain't that much these days.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah even though a million ain't what it used to be I think most retirees in Thailand are not up to that wealth level. With that amount there are many more options. Yes Thailand has been one of the easier visa countries but that is changing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It would have been a more informative survey if it had asked some questions about Net Worth rather than just about monthly expenditures.  You never know who might be a millionaire, but definitely in Chiang Mai it’s a lot more common to hear farangs brag about their frugality than about their wealth.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 1

I know a millionior who is above 50 expat and works. Have lavish lifestyle and good family. In comparison a retiree with a pension have decent life but you cant compare both. Many retirees are hand to mouth but some afford more.

Main budget issues are with retiree expats who needs to be careful in spending when exchange rates are not favorable. TH have become quite expensive compared to 20 years back.

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yes.  Luck of the birth draw I guess.

In California for example.

Get a good government job work it for 30 years and get a great monthly income for life that includes cost of living raises.

Buy a couple of houses along pay down the mortgage and watch them appreciate up to 10 times what you paid back in the 70's.

Also, defer what you can of income tax free.

Now, all this plan is easily worth a million dollars.

Like you said, just very very lucky..

Edited by bkk6060

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Sure are. Don't personally know many people with assets of over 1M dollars in their home countries. I have absolutely no assets in the UK. Nothing. Nadda. Zilch. 

I'm with you I have 0 assets in the US other than my 401 we sold everything to move here and buy a house. I have the 800,000 BHT in savings for my retirement visa for some reason I couldn't get a marriage visa even with a US marriage license 

• Like 1

There is a difference between spending money, earning money and having money but not spending it. I could have assets of B 20 m, earning income of B 55 k pm and spend B 25 k pm. Compare this to person that has no assets, gets a state pension of B 65 k pm and spends everything. The article seems to only look at what people spend as a norm of wealth.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Canada was not one of the countries that rescinded issuing verification letters.

Joe Six Pack always winds up taking the hit. :hit-the-fan:

Done to death already but when all this income letter business was swirling the drain last year, seemed the Embassies still producing the income letters for their citizens, still weren't performing any verification, and certainly not to the level Thai Immigration "seemed" to be demanding of the others who quit the program altogether.  One Candadian guy told me (on-line) he rocked up to his Embassy for his appointment, presented the form, swore the oath, and walked out with an income letter - 20 minutes flash to bang, same as before.

I hope this thread is referred to when the brilliant "Thais, all about the money" is posted.

This is a such a great thread and an example of who in fact is truly, all about the money....

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fred white said:

I'm with you I have 0 assets in the US other than my 401 we sold everything to move here and buy a house. I have the 800,000 BHT in savings for my retirement visa for some reason I couldn't get a marriage visa even with a US marriage license 

Don't you have to register your marriage and also get a thai marriage certificate from your wife's amphoe (district office)?

7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Being married and working (free lunch too) I absolutely struggle to spend 20k a month in central bkk. I use both the MRT and BTS to work as well.

We could go out to eat more than once every three weeks but usually I'm happy at home with reading or movie nursing bottle of b1000 scotch or bourbon.

I will readily admit we should be living in a larger more stylish place but we have everything here and it's a bargain for central BKK at 4800. 600m from MRT, laundry, restaurant, good maintenance and REPORTS TM30. I can walk to four malls.

Quadrupling my rent and eating out every Saturday would get me to 40-45k.

My wife works at a big media company I don't need to support her until we move and leave BKK for retirement.

Before you think any of this a burden I'm saving minimum 45-52k of my salary (40-41pw paid 50 actual) per month less dental, international trips etc. I could also dig into three 401k etc but no need. Simply don't spend it living Thai lifestyle.

After 62 I will splurge a bit.

Maybe not accounted for in article. I (we) spend big money on international trips. NOT in boring, overly complicated process ridden Thailand.

The country with trash strewn beaches, horrendous air quality, dire roads, huge restaurant related charges and taxes.

Wine taxes are ridiculous. Bottle service for even Johnny Red ridiculous. So just stop. It's the taxes not the restaurant in many cases.

But if a local Thai makes 20k pm and a farang SPENDS 45k a month why is that something penjurious or lacking? FTW? Seriously.

I'm assuming you meant Penurious & not Perjurious ???? 

To each his own, I work in Singapore for 2/3rds of the month & aside from the rent, spend less there as the only thing i do there nowadays is work work work, but I get to spend the other 1/3rd of the month in Bangkok & apart from 20k pm for the Condo (Plus lets say another 4k for utilities/internet/mobile etc) I probably spend around 2k per day so 10 days in Thailand costs me 44K, 30 days 84K (the 24k rent & Utilities covers the month) which sounds about right to me.

Add in yearly Visa expenses, Health Insurance, travel etc.... I personally believe  100-120K pm makes for a happy retirement, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)...

Guys who have their own home or live outside of Bangkok will be happy on much less... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, organicman said:

They must be from Australia. Our dollar is a totally joke!!!! Lowest in 20 years :(((((((

It cost more to drink and party in Thailand than back in Australia now :((

I just came back from sukhumvit to Australia, Atleast in australia we have alot of bargains.

For examlple i had a burger, chips and a coke for 1$ yesterday here in brisbane, where as in bangkok the same meal is 7-8$.

thailand is a ripoff , Those bar girls are all greedy and scammy, Mostly out looking for the next rich guy to scheme on.

Edited by Pattayabeerbacon
  • Haha 2

If I had a million in assets (abroad), I would not live in Thailand, best case do holiday and import a girl to wherever I would be.
Doubt there are many of those guys here, and if they are, they are often Scrooge and never spend it and die.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

I have read threw this thread. It has to be the silliest thread in the history of TV.

45K is a good living in Thailand.

I saved literally thousands of dollars living their over 10 years and did not even try. 

It is still one of the cheapest places in the world? No matter what anyone says. If not for the massive pollution, and silly retirement rules I would still be there.

The only thing that has changed for expats is the retirement rules! 800K in a Thai bank and 400K after that. That has got to be the biggest rip off in the history of retirement. Especially considering the cost of living in Thailand. 

Even though I have the funds to stay there you would have to be brain washed to even consider such a ridiculous demand. 

Other countries let you show proof of income with out bringing in fund from your country. It is beyond ridiculous.  Haha

Never cook at home. There it is. GF if a true good catch should offer and be willing to cook at home. Great catch would learn to cook farang foods you like at home. Can be better than some many restaurants!

Who needs an *ok room*? Here in BKK you need to calculate 18-20K/month for 45-50m² (30k if you want to stay close to BTS/MRT)And where are the costs for out-dining? My gf and I for example never cook at home. Why should we, if you can get a decent dinner for 500THB for 2.
If you calculate per person it`s still less than 45k/month though. I also know that type of farang spending 50k+ just for food/booze per month. But that makes 0 sense for me. Having money doesn`t mean you should throw it out the window. Those guys are the ones paying 500 Baht for a package of cereals, ignoring the buy one get one free offer for 300Baht next to it. 

2 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I just came back from sukhumvit to Australia, Atleast in australia we have alot of bargains.

For examlple i had a burger, chips and a coke for 1$ yesterday here in brisbane, where as in bangkok the same meal is 7-8$.

thailand is a ripoff , Those bar girls are all greedy and scammy, Mostly out looking for the next rich guy to scheme on.

Ah fantastic that. You guys over in Aus land are just a European Asia and if it weren't for your European forefathers you'd be just another Asian country. Thailand has one of the world's greatest foods, Australia has American style German food and you're complaining about not being able to find German American food for one worthless Aussies dollar when you can find some of the greatest feeds the world has to offer for next to nothing. 

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Being married and working (free lunch too) I absolutely struggle to spend 20k a month in central bkk. I use both the MRT and BTS to work as well.

We could go out to eat more than once every three weeks but usually I'm happy at home with reading or movie nursing bottle of b1000 scotch or bourbon.

I will readily admit we should be living in a larger more stylish place but we have everything here and it's a bargain for central BKK at 4800. 600m from MRT, laundry, restaurant, good maintenance and REPORTS TM30. I can walk to four malls.

Quadrupling my rent and eating out every Saturday would get me to 40-45k.

My wife works at a big media company I don't need to support her until we move and leave BKK for retirement.

Before you think any of this a burden I'm saving minimum 45-52k of my salary (40-41pw paid 50 actual) per month less dental, international trips etc. I could also dig into three 401k etc but no need. Simply don't spend it living Thai lifestyle.

After 62 I will splurge a bit.

Maybe not accounted for in article. I (we) spend big money on international trips. NOT in boring, overly complicated process ridden Thailand.

The country with trash strewn beaches, horrendous air quality, dire roads, huge restaurant related charges and taxes.

Wine taxes are ridiculous. Bottle service for even Johnny Red ridiculous. So just stop. It's the taxes not the restaurant in many cases.

But if a local Thai makes 20k pm and a farang SPENDS 45k a month why is that something penjurious or lacking? FTW? Seriously.

Did you say 4,800 baht a month rent,or am i reading that wrong?

is that for a Studio size apartment in Bangkok ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

6 hours ago, organicman said:

They must be from Australia. Our dollar is a totally joke!!!! Lowest in 20 years :(((((((

It cost more to drink and party in Thailand than back in Australia now :((

Your absolutely right !!

many things are far cheaper in Australia!!

100 baht is now nearly $5 Aud