Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Married the wrong person ..... you mean married a female?

Married the wrong person, correct. It doesn't really matter if male or female, you can definitely encounter good and bad person of any possible sexual proclivity....

13 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Wife Bachelor degree, 18 years work experience, ass hotel manager Thb 42000,- monthly + overtime etc., Sister in law, Master degree in Biology, teaching at University + outdoor research work, 4 years working experience Thb 24800,- monthly. Brother in law bachelor degree, army lieutenant (administration) Thb 18000,- monthly. 22 years in the armed forces.

Sounds like a quality hotel. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nausea said:

Exception that proves the rule. Yeah, I know a few guys who had successful careers here in Thailand. I don't have a skin in this game. So what's your plan when you retire. I'm thinking particularly of some succesful English teacher, who suddenly realised at the age of 60, he had no retirement plan, and decided to go to Saudi to build up a retirement pot. I, personally, wouldn't like to be worrying about retirement at 60, 'nough problems worrying about my health status.

He wouldnt go to Saudi as he wouldnt get a visa at 60

3 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Sounds like a quality hotel. 

Not really. Large hotel can pay much more for a GM, even Thai national. My assistant, executive sous-chef, take almost that salary, although with probably less benefits. He's Thai. Hotel we work is not big at all, just 146 rooms. In Phuket there are hotels with 650 rooms and more, salaries are normally directly proportional to the number of rooms when it comes to GMs.

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

Yes, teaching, tourism and the army don't pay good. 

Engineering jobs in Thailand pay much better. Mid level manager after 15 to 20 years work experience is on about 100k. Master degrees in Thailand don't do to much unless that person is chasing his or her career. I know several engineers who have a masters but don't grow that fast if don't actively push their careers. 

That is not bad for Thailand but is not good. Maybe it explains a lot as to why engineering tasks in Thailand work out the way they do i.e. of medium to low standard

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iquot70 said:

Not really. Large hotel can pay much more for a GM, even Thai national. My assistant, executive sous-chef, take almost that salary, although with probably less benefits. He's Thai. Hotel we work is not big at all, just 146 rooms. In Phuket there are hotels with 650 rooms and more, salaries are normally directly proportional to the number of rooms when it comes to GMs.

I was joking.  The words Ass hotel manager gave me a chuckle.  I've never been to an Ass hotel. No doubt some of the members on the gay forum may have. 

36 minutes ago, Iquot70 said:

Married the wrong person, correct. It doesn't really matter if male or female, you can definitely encounter good and bad person of any possible sexual proclivity....

You're wrong.

All women are inherently 'the wrong person', they only ever bang for money (the ultimate aim being a free house).

Once they have the free house, they stop having sex with the man who bought it for them (unless more money is provided).

Yes, you can probably find an exception, but that exception is really rare (and probably revert to the norm in a year or two).

All men would understand this fact if their mom and society didn't lie to them 24/7.

There is no such thing as a woman's love for a man, only her desire to own a house (and money).

If you want to live for less than 45,000 in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter), forget the woman, you don't need her.

Edited by BritManToo

You're wrong.
All women are inherently 'the wrong person', they only ever bang for money (the ultimate aim being a free house).
Once they have the free house, they stop having sex with the man who bought it for them (unless more money is provided).
Yes, you can probably find an exception, but that exception is really rare (and probably revert to the norm in a year or two).
All men would understand this fact if their mom and society didn't lie to them 24/7.
There is no such thing as a woman's love for a man, only her desire to own a house (and money).

If you want to live for less than 45,000 in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter), forget the woman, you don't need her.
I wouldn't want to marry a woman but I think that you might be overgeneralizing.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, Ramdas said:

Perhaps they’re starting to realise the reality that farangs aren’t as rich as the Thais were convinced to be,  it may give us a break but I doubt it, considering that in some places prices for us westerners are different.

This while Thais appear much richer in showing off their goods ?

The word appear is correct. Most Thai look wealthy but it's all loans. Just see the latest on Thai teachers taking out 3M in loans to buy houses cars etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My wife only stopped having sex with because i was unable due to paraplegia.

So that throws your reasoning out the window.

She's not having sex with you, which actually proves my point (you may be the ideal husband).

There are plenty of women living in sexless relationships with men, and the excuses for that are legion, but they all have a house.

And they nearly all double your monthy spend (making it hard to live on under 45k/month)

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong.

Haha, what a load of jaded, absolute rubbish. I sympathize with you if you've been burnt in the past, but try to be reasonable. There are plenty of loving, hard working and decent women in Thailand and the rest of the world. Yeah, there are more of the bad kind in Thailand than most other places, but there are stil plenty of good ones.

My partner could have chosen a $ millionaire when we first met, but instead knowingly chose a relatively poor guy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Myran said:

My partner could have chosen a $ millionaire when we first met, but instead knowingly chose a relatively poor guy.

Thank you for your reply, but

Are you claiming you've bought her a house outright and she still has sex with you 2-3x a week?

(because nothing you've typed appears relevant to my theory, one way or the other)

Nearly all the men posting they live on under 45k/month appear to be single (like me).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

45,000 a month I could live like a king on that In fact most of the time it is around 20,000 and I still eat well  and run 2 cars .
The sort of people that need 45,000 plus are the ones that go to bars every night and pay for a lot of girls ( or boys ) 
 But I never frequent bars  ( socialize with a lot of p***heads ? No thank you ) apart from which groups of farangs attract attention from the parasites ( male and female ) and that is not even mentioning the police 
I keep myself to myself and stay away from farangs  and of course the trouble they attract

My wife and I spend much more than 45k, we never go to bars and for sure never pay for sex. We like to live in comfort, nothing wrong with that. From this topic I learned it is possible to live on 45k per month which is good to know if I ever fall from my throne.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mainly beer, without a bird, I can afford to drink my own weight in beer every day.

(and still not spend 45k in the month)

Beer ok, well heres a tip for you, only post when your sober, then maybe you will post something sensible.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/5/2018 at 1:15 PM, Sparkles said:

The elephant in the room is health insurance.Once over 70 seems impossible to get cover.If I'm wrong please tell me

When I am back in Australia I am entitled to Govt Medicare cover.  When I leave it stops.   If I'm out of the country and have medical problem and can get back to Aus I'm still covered.  Having private cover as well is suspended whilst out of the country but I must still pay the premium, so I let it lapse after 31 years with Medibank Private.  Travel insurance only covers you for repairing you enough so that the insurers can transport you back to Aus so you can receive the free Govt. hospital treatment in Aus.  Travel insurance does not cover you for any pre-existing problems nor do most insurers cover you if you are over 70 Y/O.  I'm 76 none of these insurers will provide any cover for me. I'm in fairly good health for my age  My only worry which I don't give a hoot about is if I have a catastrophic injury or sickness.  I do have a enough cash reserves (I think) to get back Aus to get the free Govt hospital and medical treatment.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

People who only have Bt 45,000 P/M is a figure that when they convert their home countries aged pension into Bht it comes out at about Bt45.000.  That is not enough to get a retirement visa i.e.Bt 65000 P/M or Bt 800,000.P/A

Here is an email I received today  from a legit legal firm in BKK...I am presently back in Australia but will be returning to Thailand soon...

For obvious reasons I have not put the name of the company offering this service but point out this company is only one of many offering this service legit... ... Getting a retirement visa if you only have Bt 45000 P/M....

Dear sir
For your retirement visa renewal 
We charge 16,000 THB and if you wish to get a multiple entry is more 4,000 THB

We do NOT require bank balance
We do NOT require pension
We SPONSOR all your requirements
We only need passport + photos, we are agency, and can get it done.

We can process in 3-7 business days (case by case).
We also optionally offer FREE 90 day reporting on your behalf, we mail you back the confirmation slips. (you can still do reporting on your own)

We can service you in four ways for an extension

1) You come to our BKK office, and hand me your passport
2) If you are already in BKK we can send one of our couriers to pickup/drop off your passport.
3) You MAIL/EMS your passport to our BKK office
4) You go to your local immigration, and hand your passport to an immigration officer that works with us.

TIT

PS...this service is also available in many provincial locations from various people.

Edited by David Walden
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, David Walden said:

That is not enough to get a retirement visa i.e.Bt 65000 P/M or Bt 800,000.P/A

Those are the numbers for a LEGAL retirement VISA extension.

Different rules for a VISA based on retirement.
(and there are many different VISAs available all with different terms, conditions and financial requirements)

Edited by BritManToo