Eighteen injured as pickup flips in Chiang Mai

webfact

Eighteen injured as pickup flips in Chiang Mai

By The Nation

cm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Eighteen longan pickers in Chiang Mai were injured on Monday morning when the pickup truck in which they were riding overturned as the driver swerved to avoid an oncoming vehicle.

A van carrying doctors and nurses happened to be passing by at that moment and stopped to provide first aid.

The injured were then taken to Chiang Dao Hospital. Nine of the passengers were severely hurt.

Police said the accident happened on a bypass road in Chiang Dao district at 7.20am.

Pickup driver Hing Lungwad, 40, who ended up slightly injured, was taking 18 workers, mostly women, from Tambon Muangna in Chiang Dao to the longan orchard in Mae Taeng district.

Hing told police a vehicle was approaching him head-on as it overtook another vehicle, so he swerved to avoid a collision but overturned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351530

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-06

1 hour ago, 1337markus said:

So the government law that was relaxed for Songkran last year allows 5 or 6 in the back of a pickup truck has gone. Seems another useless law that no one follows.

The law said that everyone must wear a seatbelt too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seajae said:

the driver that flipped the truck must not have been watching the road or was he too busy on his phone

According to the driver:

he swerved to avoid a collision but overturned

writing these car crash stories must be easy. just copy and paste this sentence:

"Hing (replace name as needed) told police a vehicle was approaching him head-on as it overtook another vehicle, so he swerved to avoid a collision but overturned."

and a few other sentences about brakes and buses that have a mind of their own.

Edited by NCC1701A

31 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

As can be seen in the picture that road is capable of taking 3 vehicles abreast which I know as I too have had to move over to accommodate a passing vehicle which was in too much of a hurry to wait 30 secs. I also see a continuous yellow line on that picture, another of this countries wasted efforts at safety as just about no-one takes notice or even understands what it means.

That continuous yellow line is purely ornamental as are white lines at pedestrian crossings, No U-Turn signs, bollards and on it goes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, seajae said:

and what speed was he doing to flip the vehicle, we often have to move over for vehicles overtaking in the opposite direction and have never flipped the car, these idiots drive flat stick and have no regard for those in the back, seen it a lot.  We are all aware how idiot drivers overtake when ever they want(on double lines as well) and expect oncoming traffic to move for them and so we drive to suit, the driver that flipped the truck must not have been watching the road or was he too busy on his phone

Likely there was more than a (metric) ton on the bed (18x50kg plus drinking water etc) - possibly with more people inside and that means fully or most probably overloaded.  Most of the worker transports are clapped out looking older models and it's not hard to believe that any kind of a swerve at over 60kph would send one out of control.  There are ditches either side of the road which will pretty much ensure a flip when you put a wheel over the edge.  I'm not defending the driver here, but saying you've never flipped a car when in a similar situation is irrelevant, wouldn't you say?

Edited by Greenside

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

As can be seen in the picture that road is capable of taking 3 vehicles abreast which I know as I too have had to move over to accommodate a passing vehicle which was in too much of a hurry to wait 30 secs. I also see a continuous yellow line on that picture, another of this countries wasted efforts at safety as just about no-one takes notice or even understands what it means.

Dashed yellow line to the right of solid line indicates that oncoming traffic can overtake if road clear.  If it was a double solid yellow line then   both directions cannot overtake.  So who doesn't understand the road markings?

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

writing these car crash stories must be easy. just copy and paste this sentence:

"Hing (replace name as needed) told police a vehicle was approaching him head-on as it overtook another vehicle, so he swerved to avoid a collision but overturned."

and a few other sentences about brakes and buses that have a mind of their own.

Could add   I lost concentration because I thought I heard loud screaming coming from somewhere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

These were minimum wage workers bussed from the villages by the employer or a Gang Master.  The Karma should belong to them.

The victims were poor people with very limited choice and deserve every sympathy.

Good news they have come to the correct place for sympathy

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

maybe when they're finished in tackling the unsafe seas they can look at the roads.

I don't think you can tackle an "unsafe sea" in the way that you can try and tackle unsafe driving...

Just sayin' is all.

Regards,

Joe