Signature No Good

Am I the only foreigner who has trouble getting a bank statement because my signature doesn't precisely match my passbook?  I explained to the young woman this morning that everyone's signature can vary slightly.  She said that it must be a 100% match or "you go another bank."  I have several accounts with three major Thai banks, never had a problem, and was very surprised at her attitude.  I went to another branch of the same bank in Central Festival, got what I needed, with a smile, and was on my way.  I reported their rudeness in writing and by telephone to the Bangkok Head Office.  If you have the proper id, the bank book, and your signature is close enough, then there should not be a problem.  Anybody can forge a signature, so that should be the least reliable portion of the id.  Even with my reading glasses on, I could not see any difference in signatures.  Under a microscope or magnifying glass probably, but I believe the girls there didn't care how I signed and just enjoyed giving me a hard time.  Needless to say, I will never use that branch again.

Edited by parallaxtech

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

You should see my signature when having a hangover! Seriously, never heard of this before, normally they never look at the signature.

I have done a lot of withdrawals at Bangkok Bank branches over a decade and they have "always" compared the signature in the passbook to my passport.

I have had such a problem at SCB. My signature is a mess and it's devolved over time. The main reason is aging and using keyboards 99.99 percent of the time, and not signing checks as I used to in the U.S.. I was forced to sign an official change of signature form but I reckon the next time I need to sign something there, that won't match either. I have no answer to this. My tactic is to act like I'm more of a dotard than I really am and hope they take pity. Add insult to injury my passport signature is very different because I intentionally made that more legible as there is no room there to do my more natural totally messed up illegible signature. I reckon a professional signature analyst would get that they're the same person, but can't expect that from bank clerks. 

My signature is just a scribble. Impossible to ascertain my name from it.

Never had a problem with it in Thailand but, as a young man, I went to withdraw cash from my Post Office account but the teller refused point blank because she "couldn't read my signature".

Stupid isn't exclusive to Thailand.

Mine is very scribble-like as well and I think that's totally OK but the scribble pattern is supposed to match well enough. Mine just doesn't.

This is such a retro issue now. Why not fingerprint scanners, eye scans, or voice prints? 

Edited by Jingthing