Students Suspended For Forced Mouth-To-Mouth Candy Hazing

webfact

Students Suspended For Forced Mouth-To-Mouth Candy Hazing

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

sotus-696x399.jpg

Photo: Anti Sotus / Facebook

BANGKOK — Five university upperclassmen were suspended Tuesday for coercing new students to pass candy between their mouths as part of their initiation hazing.

Five students at King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok were disciplined for forcing 17 incoming freshmen to lock lips and pass the sweets orally.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/08/07/students-suspended-for-forced-mouth-to-mouth-candy-hazing/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-08-07

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

Aren't they supposed to be young adults by now. 

It's childish. 

I don't know why the universities allow it in the first place. 

It's pathetic. 

Universities are places of young adults. If you expect them not to act up in their most adventurous years, you're misunderstanding human nature.

There's two problems here, firstly hazing, which the Thais seem to have institutionalised in an ugly way - this should certainly be dealt with.

The second though is the pathological desire to put everything that happens on social media, allowing the most uptight in society to make judgement on those who may have acted injudiciously, in moments that should be forgiven and unrecorded. Zuckerberg has a hell of a lot to answer for. 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Universities are places of young adults. If you expect them not to act up in their most adventurous years, you're misunderstanding human nature.

There's two problems here, firstly hazing, which the Thais seem to have institutionalised in an ugly way - this should certainly be dealt with.

The second though is the pathological desire to put everything that happens on social media, allowing the most uptight in society to make judgement on those who may have acted injudiciously, in moments that should be forgiven and unrecorded. Zuckerberg has a hell of a lot to answer for. 

Obviously you didn't understand my post. It was directed at the directors of the university, for allowing immature students to have such power over new students. 

Act up? Sure. Steal a road sign, get drunk, smoke some pot , tie someone up with a funny sign. That's acting up. 

This is beyond human nature. New entrants are being beaten if they refuse to participate, some students are being raped. Some students have died. A large group were ordered to strip their pants and lay on top of each other. It's being posted on social media because many new entrants are afraid to go to school. The hazing is compulsory and anyone that doesn't participate might even lose their university place. They are breaking serious criminal laws and while it's all fine and dandy for the ones dishing out the abuse to get their laughs, it is having life changing effects on the victims. Why don't you ask the parents of the boy with a ruptured spleen, how he's going to get through his 4 years of study. Or the parents of the boy that was gang raped and committed suicide the next day. Then there's the several freshy that have died over the years. You belong to the group of "as long as it's not my kid, go for it " thank goodness for mark Zuckerberg 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Obviously you didn't understand my post. It was directed at the directors of the university, for allowing immature students to have such power over new students. 

Act up? Sure. Steal a road sign, get drunk, smoke some pot , tie someone up with a funny sign. That's acting up. 

This is beyond human nature. New entrants are being beaten if they refuse to participate, some students are being raped. Some students have died. A large group were ordered to strip their pants and lay on top of each other. It's being posted on social media because many new entrants are afraid to go to school. The hazing is compulsory and anyone that doesn't participate might even lose their university place. They are breaking serious criminal laws and while it's all fine and dandy for the ones dishing out the abuse to get their laughs, it is having life changing effects on the victims. Why don't you ask the parents of the boy with a ruptured spleen, how he's going to get through his 4 years of study. Or the parents of the boy that was gang raped and committed suicide the next day. Then there's the several freshy that have died over the years. You belong to the group of "as long as it's not my kid, go for it " thank goodness for mark Zuckerberg 

Fair enough, I agree with most of what you say here. Like I mentioned in my first point, hazing in this country is completely screwed up and needs to be dealt with.

Zuckerberg is a double edged sword though. I fully support the instances where facebook and the like have brought justice, but I lament an era where loss of privacy is normal, and a juvenile mistake can affect someone's future just because it got recorded on camera and posted. 

10 hours ago, greenchair said:

Obviously you didn't understand my post. It was directed at the directors of the university, for allowing immature students to have such power over new students...

Did the students apply to the directors for permission and received it?

10 hours ago, Puccini said:

Did the students apply to the directors for permission and received it?

This is a standard entrance initiation in all Thai universities. Some universities have strict rules about it because of the deaths and abuse. Some don't. If the directors of the university ordered the practice banned, then it wouldn't happen. It's similar in the army. In nz the boys and girls rode naked through the football field. In that case a boy was hit and broke his leg. 

I can't say I disagree with the whole thing. But fb posting on abusive initiations are helping to stop the major abuse. 

In Thailand it is extensive. Mouth to mouthing hundreds of students, man to man is filthy and degrading. The ones that choose to do that can do it in their own free time.