Boris Johnson slammed over Islamophobic comments

webfact

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

That depends how you define 'own free will'. From what I hear the vast majority who wear it are choosing to do so because of pressure from family and/or husbands/boyfriends. I hear this from Muslims. The rest have been brainwashed from a young age into thinking it is a good thing to wear, to get closer to God.

The fact remains it is a symbol of misogyny and enslavement to men.  Why encourage this?  

From what you’ve hear!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What makes you think it is their own free will?  Please explain.

It is you making the assertion of ‘what you hear’ followed by your generalized ‘vast majority’.

It is for you to back up the statement that you yourself admit is ‘hearsay’.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

From 2016:

Sadiq Khan, the Labour candidate for London mayor, has said there is “a question to be asked” about why some Muslim women in the capital wear hijabs and niqabs.

In an interview with the London Evening Standard, the frontrunner in next month’s mayoral contest contrasted the way Muslim women dressed when he was growing up in London in the 1970s and 80s with the way many women dressed today.

“When I was younger you didn’t see people in hijabs and niqabs, not even in Pakistan when I visited my family. In London we got on. People dressed the same. What you see now are people born and raised here who are choosing to wear the jilbab [a loose gown] or niqab.

“There is a question to be asked about what is going on in those homes. What’s insidious is if people are starting to think it is appropriate to treat women differently or that it has been forced on them. What worries me is children being forced to adopt a lifestyle.”

Asked whether women should be allowed to cover their faces, he said: “It’s not for me to tell women what to wear. But I do think that in public service we should be able to see each other’s faces. Eye contact matters. You should be able to see the face.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/14/sadiq-khan-question-to-be-asked-about-hijabs-veils-london

Interestingly where Boris Johnson ridicules people, Sadiq  Khan suggests examination to understand.

Who can argue with that.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, cmsally said:
10 hours ago, Naam said:

your whining won't stop any dress code. ask your Mum for a cookie and a glass of hot milk.

But we do still have the power to stop it from becoming an accepted part of European society.

by using Thaivisa as an islamophobic wailing wall? personally i agree that a full face veil is for various reason not acceptable. wearing any other garment, e.g. that hides body contours, is nobody else's business although i rather look at female contours than at an abaya.

when we lived in Saudi Arabia my wife used to tell amusing stories after returning from a "kitty party". her friends were pitying her because she had to work hard in the gym and do her 120 laps in the pool to keep in shape in order to wear western dresses when abroad.

now when we are visiting there's no more talk about pity but pure envy. all her friends have doubled or tripled in size. and the latter applies to my male Saudi friends too.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

"we have the power". please define "we".

Why are you asking such questions, the majority of brits don't agree with it, doesn't their opinion count. Its something like 64% of brits want the burqa banned and about 26% are ok with it. So "we" I would have thought meant the majority of the country. I am not sure of the figures from Germany but I would be interested to know what those figures are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why are you asking such questions, the majority of brits don't agree with it, doesn't their opinion count. Its something like 64% of brits want the burqa banned and about 26% are ok with it. So "we" I would have thought meant the majority of the country. I am not sure of the figures from Germany but I would be interested to know what those figures are.

my question (singular) is logical because neither in the U.K. nor in Germany the majority of the population have no say in this matter. as far as Germany is concerned i am sure that the figures of "no burqa!" are at least the same or even higher than U.K.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

As a general rule, if someone quotes a percentage but doesn’t provide a source for the percentage, they are making it up.

Source?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Naam said:

my question (singular) is logical because neither in the U.K. nor in Germany the majority of the population have no say in this matter. as far as Germany is concerned i am sure that the figures of "no burqa!" are at least the same or even higher than U.K.

Well it's about time "we" did have a say in the matter, doesn't the opinion of the host country matter any more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

He as said what most people think but are not allowed to say these days thanks to the PC brigade.

Just looking at the express.co.uk and anything to do with this event you cannot comment on, anything with any muslim content or Gina Miller "comments unavailable." Free speech and Free press, really?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Under new directive in north London, children driven to school by their mothers will be expelled; rabbis say policy upholds modesty

"Where was the outrage over that?"

The Mayor of London is a Muslim as is the Home Secretary - any outrage would be quickly nipped in the bud, as was shown by the lady asking the the police to stop Muslims praying in Hyde Park a few weeks ago!

"How can anyone justify that because women have few, or no, rights in some countries then we should restrict women's rights here in the UK?"

Because the wearing of a burka "offends" a great number of UK people?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1