Boris Johnson slammed over Islamophobic comments

webfact

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

In that case you haven't understood what I'm saying. I'll try again

> These women are wearing Saudi Wahabbi garb.

> The Saudi Wahabbi sect does not allow women to freely chose their dress.

> The punishement for women not conforming to the dress code is beating.

> The punishment for leaving the religion is stoning to death.

So all you're doing is colluding with the negative forces that control their lives. Your "liberalism" is supporting the most illiberal misogynistic doctrine on earth.  Nice.

No. 

All im doing is saying people have the right to choose. 

I, at no point have condoned enforced dress codes or any of the other things you refer to. 

But you knew that didn’t you...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

You are supporting the right to choose for people who don't and won't have that right. In doing so you are just capitulating to a non individualistic non democratic society.

No.

I am saying it is wrong to legislate against clothing choices and wrong for johnson to use the derogatory terms he did. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, My Thai Life said:

That's laudable in itself. But you're missing the context completely.

The women of this Wahabbi sect do not have the right to chose their dress.

So, what you are actually doing in this context is supporting the koranic rights of their imams/husbands to control the women.

Funny kind of liberalism that is.

Please stop being so patronising and telling me what I am or am not missing. 

I stand by the response i gave earlier. 

And before that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s simply rabble rousing in the hope of being able to lead the rabble.

Agree totally, but he's no Caesar. Just making the point that every now and then he might hit the spot, as the actress said to the bishop.

49 minutes ago, Opl said:

With the ban, as a woman you can claim the right not to submit when told to cover your face by your husband, because it's against the law, and that is something. 

To force a women to do something against her will is already illegal - it's called 'abuse'. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nausea said:

Agree totally, but he's no Caesar. Just making the point that every now and then he might hit the spot, as the actress said to the bishop.

He might have hit your spot but I ask again, in what way does Johnson making derogatory remarks about these women help them?

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

What you are doing washing his hands of this matter because of the paradox before you.  On all other threads you are a bold defender of women and a harsh critic of any misogyny and chauvinistic treatment of women. But because you are also a progressive you are forced to defend minorities against western oppression and interference. But how can you defend the rights of Wahhabists to completely dominate their women, to the point of them being mere chattel. When this activity  would disgust you in any other cultural arrangement. 

The answer is to say, I simply support the right to choose. And then magically your enabling hypocrisy is washed away pure as fresh fallen snow.

And if you bothered to read all my posts on this thread you’d see I am against both enforced dress codes and legislation that denies choice. 

No contradictions. 

No hypocrisy. 

No snow. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

How many women are wearing the full face veil voluntarily, how many women are wearing it involuntarily. Anyway, it makes no difference, women will find a way to sexualise their appearance regardless, how you'd do this without eye contact is beyond me, but I'm sure there's a way. In Victorian England a well turned ankle would make your heart miss a beat. Ha!

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

A bit simplistic I admit, but it depends on whether there is a good reason for protecting the 'rights' of a tiny minority that are actually justifiable.

And in the case of the burka/nikab - there is no reason at all to protect such a mosogynist symbol.

Freedom of choice is not a valid reason to protect their rights?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

And the excellent Christopher Hitchens...

“I dislike the way that the discussion around the Burka and other forms of veiling and enveloping of females is always referred to as a ban especially as it’s been applied or proposed in France. It’s not a ban, it’s the lifting of a ban on the right of women to choose what they can wear. The existing state of affairs is a ban by the male members of a religious cult organisation known as Islam. They believe they have the right to dictate the attire of their women. I think that ban should be lifted. They can’t do it in France. That’s just to say about the rights of the women concerned. If you counterpose to that — well why can’t a woman wear anything she wants, you’d have to give me some evidence that there was ever a woman that wanted to go out in the street only with her husband’s permission and only wearing the curtains. There’s no evidence of that at all, there’s a great deal of evidence the other way."

One of the few times I'll disagree with Hitchens.

His objection to the hijab or burka is he says Islam dictates the right of women to choose their attire.

Then he goes on to suggest the EU and UK do the exact same, dictate what women wear.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

And the excellent Christopher Hitchens...

“I dislike the way that the discussion around the Burka and other forms of veiling and enveloping of females is always referred to as a ban especially as it’s been applied or proposed in France. It’s not a ban, it’s the lifting of a ban on the right of women to choose what they can wear. The existing state of affairs is a ban by the male members of a religious cult organisation known as Islam. They believe they have the right to dictate the attire of their women. I think that ban should be lifted. They can’t do it in France. That’s just to say about the rights of the women concerned. If you counterpose to that — well why can’t a woman wear anything she wants, you’d have to give me some evidence that there was ever a woman that wanted to go out in the street only with her husband’s permission and only wearing the curtains. There’s no evidence of that at all, there’s a great deal of evidence the other way."

Suddenly stops making any sense as soon as a woman chooses of her own free will to wear a Burqa.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1