Early Age Desexing: Cats

We've been adopted by a (another) stray kitten so I decided to get her fixed, I took her into the vet, who's well thought of in our city, and was told she's too young at 4 months, come back when she's 6 months.

I tried to explain about EAD but they said no.

Is any vet doing it in Thailand?

http://kb.rspca.org.au/why-does-the-rspca-advocate-early-age-desexing_419.html

Interesting. For us, we took our 2 kittens to our local vet when they were already about 6 months old only to be told, "sorry, cannot do, come back when they are 1 year old". Which is what we eventually did.  However, the problem is that by the time they are that old the whole procedure is far more traumatic for them, and it took about a week before they were back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

"I tried to explain about EAD but they said no."

Maybe you should explain it to us.

I had the same problem, but found a vet who would do it at 4 months. Maybe explain that it is a stray and that it is going to be outside.

That worked for me.

Here's a good article on it.  If you read it you'll notice that there is not a consensus even among professional vets.  I personally have a 4 month old kitten who we adopted when she was abandoned by her mother at about 4 weeks old.  I've going for the 5 to 6 month range which is my own vet's recommendation. 

https://www.petmd.com/cat/care/what-age-should-you-spay-or-neuter-your-cat

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

Ditto this.  Had our male cat done about 6 months ago when he was perhaps 7 or 8 weeks old.  Vet said wait until he is a kg in weight and do it then as apparently the younger it is done, the less traumatic and the faster they recover from it.  Dropped him off in the morning, the procedure was carried out and when we picked him up that afternoon you wouldn't have known it - he was running around and full of energy as if nothing had happened!

Maybe he was looking for something? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

Ditto this.  Had our male cat done about 6 months ago when he was perhaps 7 or 8 weeks old.  Vet said wait until he is a kg in weight and do it then as apparently the younger it is done, the less traumatic and the faster they recover from it.  Dropped him off in the morning, the procedure was carried out and when we picked him up that afternoon you wouldn't have known it - he was running around and full of energy as if nothing had happened!

My wife and her sister have created a voluntary sanctuary for unwanted cats, currently have around 50. Every cat/kitten coming in is taken straight to the vets and he will say when any kitten can be brought in to be neutered, certainly weeks rather than months.

The danger is that if the kitten is harbouring a virus the procedure can result in death, we have lost a few kittens that way. The immune system is weakened and the virus can flare up and is usually fatal. One time we had a litter of 4 that became sick with FIP, 2 died and 2 survived, that must have been around 6 years ago and the 2 that survived are still with us.

• Like 1

Our "hand-me-down" kitten is beautiful but functions between "Full speed ahead, crash, bang" as she sees fit to "Sleep on your lap and purr". Might be the breed, white tipped paws, short hooked tail, white face, but I digress. Had her spayed, she was howling at the moon every night, and that stopped.  Just now her fur has returned but she is still a totally lovable NUT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

My wife and her sister have created a voluntary sanctuary for unwanted cats, currently have around 50. Every cat/kitten coming in is taken straight to the vets and he will say when any kitten can be brought in to be neutered, certainly weeks rather than months.

The danger is that if the kitten is harbouring a virus the procedure can result in death, we have lost a few kittens that way. The immune system is weakened and the virus can flare up and is usually fatal. One time we had a litter of 4 that became sick with FIP, 2 died and 2 survived, that must have been around 6 years ago and the 2 that survived are still with us.

My old Country Vet told me a long time ago - for Cats, neuter/spay as early as possible, after three months old.  For Dogs, Neuter the males as early as you can, for females, its good to let them have a litter, then spay them.........Motherhood is a very strong emotion.  When he retired, he claimed he neutered/spayed more then 5000 animals, he worked in the City Dog Pound. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. For us, we took our 2 kittens to our local vet when they were already about 6 months old only to be told, "sorry, cannot do, come back when they are 1 year old". Which is what we eventually did.  However, the problem is that by the time they are that old the whole procedure is far more traumatic for them, and it took about a week before they were back to normal.

The bigger risk is that many cats will already reproduce before age 1 year.

Most Vets here will do it at age 5-6 months if weight is OK. Before 5 months is harder to find, and as there is little risk of pregnancy that early should not usually be a problem to wait till 5-6 months.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1