Question about: notifying bank of new passport number

I have recently changed my UK passport and of course have a new passport number which I will notify my bank about,namely the Bangkok Bank.

I live in BKK. but my account is held in Pattaya. 

Will any Bangkok Bank branch accept and process on their system the new passport number or do I need to travel to Pattaya to do this?

Thank u. 

They can do it. I have bank accounts with Bangkok Bank in Phuket but i have also bank account with Bangkok Bank in Bangkok. I went to BB bank branch in Bangkok and asked them to update my passport number. Once done i told them I will do the same when i will be in Phuket. They told me no need to go to Phuket, they will do it for me. They gave me 3 new bank book updated for the 2 accounts in Phuket and the one of Bangkok

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

OP, I have come across this as well having a Phuket BKK bank account and living now in Pattaya, there are a couple of minor restrictions on what the local branch can do, there are even some fees involved for out of province accounts. I wasn't able to change new passport details at pattaya for the Phuket account (i get the feeling they coudnt be bothered as it meant a phone call or email), but saying that have had no problems operating the phuket account in Pattaya using new passport.

It probably comes down to the branch, otherwise just open a new local account.

I have opened a new local account and both are on internet banking, until I update the passport, I just transfer to the local account.

I am keeping it up my sleeve as a reason, to tell the wife, for a trip to phuket, lol

Don't need to do it, they don't care. Only ultra sensible people so this. It makes zero difference to anything and is NOT  a requirement.
It makes a difference for the internet banking. Especially if your passport has expired. It happened to me. I was not able to login. I called the bank and they told me I need to update my passport informations to be allow to access my account online. Also, for the bank book.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

jpaasia has given a reason why the bank should have the updated passport info. Another reason I believe it is important that the bank has the updated passport number on file is when i ask the bank to prepare a letter for immigration  confirming deposit of the sum for 3 months re extension renewal (retirement). If a discrepancy in the letter between my actual passport and the passport number (the bank may cite the old passport number)then there may be a problem at immigration.

7 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Don't need to do it, they don't care. Only ultra sensible people so this. It makes zero difference to anything and is NOT  a requirement.

For some in branch transactions, like a large cash withdrawal,  you need to show the passport for that account (not much use showing them a different passport), it does make a difference and it is a requirement. 

14 minutes ago, jphasia said:

It makes a difference for the internet banking. Especially if your passport has expired. It happened to me. I was not able to login. I called the bank and they told me I need to update my passport informations to be allow to access my account online. Also, for the bank book.

Are you sure. I log in to my Bkk Bank every day even though I just changed my passport. 

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Are you sure. I log in to my Bkk Bank every day even though I just changed my passport. 

I think its business as usual until you try to do anything major like a new card, new password for internet banking etc, then they will say thats not the passport on file etc. Not that they automatically shut things down when passport expires, it gets picked up when you change something later.

I wouldn't bother, next time you pop in the bank to borrow a biro to scribble down something you don't want to forget, they will photocopy the photo page and visa pages. 

When the copies reach the main processing centre, one of the ever vigilant operatives will notice the discrepancy, call their supervisor, who will, after consultation with senior management, authorise a waiting rapid response team to initiate an ammendment. 

Then the paperwork will be trucked to the vast warehouse in Nakhon Nowhere, where they will be carefully filed with the other 4, 789 photocopies of your passport... 

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

I wouldn't bother, next time you pop in the bank to borrow a biro to scribble down something you don't want to forget, they will photocopy the photo page and visa pages. 

When the copies reach the main processing centre, one of the ever vigilant operatives will notice the discrepancy, call their supervisor, who will, after consultation with senior management, authorise a waiting rapid response team to initiate an ammendment. 

Then the paperwork will be trucked to the vast warehouse in Nakhon Nowhere, where they will be carefully filed with the other 4, 789 photocopies of your passport... 

You forgot the resident certificate, new requirement as of last Tuesday, colour of Biro is also important.

33 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

I did this without thinking as I have new passport. Krungthai bank noted it but no big deal and no mention made.

42 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

It can make a difference e.g., if you need a new ATM card and you have to use your passport as ID. If it doesn't match the number in the system it can cause problems....I have also been caught out when calling to check on an international transfer, asked for my passport number, which I hadn't yet up-dated, then couldn't remember the old number to tell them...?

9 minutes ago, JAG said:

When the copies reach the main processing centre, one of the ever vigilant operatives will notice the discrepancy, call their supervisor, who will, after consultation with senior management,

And suspend your account. 

This is Thailand and what happens with two people with identical circumstances is NEVER guaranteed to be the same outcome.

I got a new Thanachart debit card about a fortnight ago and only through reading this thread realise that I haven't updated my passport number with that bank. The passport and number I used to open the account is long expired. I received the card without problem, though. I might update it on my next trip there, though. Things can change quite quickly and it isn't worth the risk of being cuaght out if my new passport is rejected when I have an emergency.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

A joke, responding to JAGs joke about banking bureaucracy.

Ah, thought there was a new rule. Wife did the yearly mc check and paid the tax & insurance the other day, she had to produce a copy of her id card. New rules she said.

I think its business as usual until you try to do anything major like a new card, new password for internet banking etc, then they will say thats not the passport on file etc. Not that they automatically shut things down when passport expires, it gets picked up when you change something later.
Yes probably. I believe that time as I had issue to login to my internet banking, i call the service center and they found out that my passport informations were out of the date. Maybe the problem was not the passport but when they found out, they used it as a reason and askes me to update my informations.
But anyway, it is not a big deal to keep your informations updated and I believe it helps on some occasion to identify yourself in case of any issues

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

For some in branch transactions, like a large cash withdrawal,  you need to show the passport for that account (not much use showing them a different passport), it does make a difference and it is a requirement. 

Wrong, as long as it's your own pp it don't matter a jot if it isn't the original one.

Like I said, this is for sensible people only with nothing much else to do or worry about.

2 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Wrong, as long as it's your own pp it don't matter a jot if it isn't the original one.

Like I said, this is for sensible people only with nothing much else to do or worry about.

This may sound unusual coming from but...it can pay to be a little bit sensible sometimes. Especially when it comes to looking after your money and navigating the Thai banking system's chicanery. I have experienced problems with not having up to date information  registered so, better to do it than not me thinks.

56 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Maybe you could inform Bkk bank in pattya because there are currently a couple of things I cant do with my old phuket account because I have a new PP. I present the new passport and they say they need to see the original passport the account was opened with (specifically the passport number). Next time, I will tell them a guy on Thaivisa told me otherwise, that should work. They have even said they will accept the old expired passport, just not a new one until that is the passport on file.

Maybe a better option would be to find someone with the same name as me, show my passport and clean out their account.

2 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Very poor advice especially as other posters have already mentioned they may have had some issues.

Whilst perhaps not life threatening I cannot understand why some posters seem to deliberately go out of their way to denigrate sensible advice. 

Able now to answer my own question:

I went along to the head office of Bangkok Bank in Silom road which happens to be the nearest branch to where I now live.

After finding the right section to input the change of passport number into system it was done for me without any quibble despite my account being in Pattaya.

I provided them with a copy of the face page from my previous passport and they made copies of pages from my current passport.

I was asked to sign at least 6 documents and provide copies of my signature.

The impression I got was that the bank considers having an up to date record of a customers passport details to be important.

Appreciate all the replies above!

1 hour ago, R123 said:

Able now to answer my own question:

I went along to the head office of Bangkok Bank in Silom road which happens to be the nearest branch to where I now live.

After finding the right section to input the change of passport number into system it was done for me without any quibble despite my account being in Pattaya.

I provided them with a copy of the face page from my previous passport and they made copies of pages from my current passport.

I was asked to sign at least 6 documents and provide copies of my signature.

The impression I got was that the bank considers having an up to date record of a customers passport details to be important.

Appreciate all the replies above!

My Bkk Bank account is in Pattaya branch but I now live in P'lok. Went to two Bkk Banks today to change passport number. Was told at both that I must go to Pattaya. <deleted>.

Not once over three new passports did the banks question me giving them a new one vs what the account was set up with. They just make a copy of the new and never check it against their computer records. Another institution here that has not  learned how to use computers. 

6 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

If you need a new ATM card you will need to ID yourself with your current Passport !

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Agree, but on the few occasions I've made a counter withdrawal, even a fairly small one, they've checked my passport as well as when getting a new bank book or ATM card.  So I don't think it would only matter for large withdrawals.

6 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

You need it when you make counter withdrawals , to get a new passbook or ATM card or for manager's letter to take to immigrations.

Archived