Question about: notifying bank of new passport number

5 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Wrong, as long as it's your own pp it don't matter a jot if it isn't the original one.

Like I said, this is for sensible people only with nothing much else to do or worry about.

Burying your head in the sand and playing at being an "Ostrich", or any other dumb bird, is up to you and it may work for you.  But ignoring the Bank T&C's or Thailand's laws etc  has a nasty habit of coming back to bite you.

As I have said in an earlier post two people can be in the same office with identical situations/paperwork etc etc and get different results.  

This is Thailand!!

Shortly after I renewed my last passport I was in my local Bangkok Bank branch in Nong Prue to do a wire transfer. I gave them my passport (as they always need a photocopy) and a couple minutes later they came back and told me that there was a problem because they still had my old passport info on file.

It only took them a couple of minutes to update the information but they wouldn't do the wire transfer until they had the information updated.

Maybe they are just "more on the ball" than some people at other banks/branches.

35 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Shortly after I renewed my last passport I was in my local Bangkok Bank branch in Nong Prue to do a wire transfer. I gave them my passport (as they always need a photocopy) and a couple minutes later they came back and told me that there was a problem because they still had my old passport info on file.

It only took them a couple of minutes to update the information but they wouldn't do the wire transfer until they had the information updated.

Maybe they are just "more on the ball" than some people at other banks/branches.

Exactly right. The posters saying dont bother are right as well but not updating your passport details creates a problem. Same happened to me at a Bangkok Bank branch. I cant remember the reason why I was at the branch counter, but I had to produce my passport. I showed my new passport, but they had my old one on file. I could not update my passport details without showing them the old one so I had to go and get it. This is Thailand and requirements that seem unnecessary and out dated in your home country are still standard practice here.

SCB will only be able to update it at the office where your account is based. If you live in the sticks then good luck! I have been trying for two years to get mine updated. They keep telling it has been done when in fact it hasn't. Most other branches of SCB will now not accept the old passport number for withdrawals - it must match the passport used as ID, they also now refuse to accept the Thai drivers licence as proof of ID and demand the passport.

8 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Don't need to do it, they don't care. Only ultra sensible people so this. It makes zero difference to anything and is NOT  a requirement.

SCB ... my New PP number.. and asked for new book as sick of stapled papers hanging out of it.. sat there over an hour... Rawai/Phuket... they call BKK, nobody knows what to do...  my visa in another passport and they run around "expire expire"  yes, my old PP expired and HERE IS THE NEW ONE ... ohhh ohhh ALL TOO HARD!

in the end, stapled another statement in the ol book, tolds me cant use book for anything as number not same....   so

when I find time I will scan and send all to BKK ... AFTER I online withdraw all my cash... scary stuff... like many things, the people of the land trying to work here are not up to it...

Beach, beer and bums...  Would think to move to BKK if not for the smog and traffic there....

but hey, not as scary what I heard other banks your funds can go missing...

11 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

This is Thailand and what happens with two people with identical circumstances is NEVER guaranteed to be the same outcome.

Agree. Bangkok Bank takes a copy of my passport, then ask me to sign it. Kasikorn just look at the passport and compare the signature with the one in the savings passbook that shows under UV light.

Proof of your statement can be found also in the many Immigration threads.

I experienced Bangkok Bank ibanking problems when one of my three account passbooks still had my old passport number but the other two had the new passport number.  The ibanking would no longer allow me to do transfers, bill payments, etc...didn't affect me being able to log on. 

Where I mentioned one passbook had my old passport number, well I did go to the issuing branch to update it.  The bank rep "did not" issue a new passbook but basically made a pen & ink entry regarding the passport number change; however, that did nothing to update the info in the bank IT system.

When the ibanking problems started it took almost a week from daily calls to the Bangkok Bank Call Center for them to figure out the problem.  Basically they told me the branch was suppose to issue me a new passbook with the new passport number hard coded in...but the branch didn't....as mentioned earlier went a lazy, not-right way with a pen & ink change.  Guess they were trying to save the cost of a new passbook.   When a bank prepares a new passbook it is automatically making updates to the bank's IT system.

The Call Center had already called that branch to tell them of their error....got a call same day from that branch apologizing and asking me to come back in so they could issue the new passbook which would fix my ibanking problem.  New passbook issued with new passport number....not more conflict in the Bangkok Bank ibanking system and my ibanking was working normally again.

Also, your passport number along with your signature is on the last page of the passbook and this info can only be seen under a blacklight.   The passport number is at the top corner of the page and signature at the bottom middle.  You may remember when getting a new passbook you signed the last page which already had your passport number printed on it as the bank prepared the passbook....then they tear off that page you signed....but that page has left invisible markings (i.e, passport number and your signature) on the passbook which can only be seen under a blacklight.

Like when you make a withdrawal they put your passbook under the blacklight to compare the signature located there with the signature on your passport and the withdrawal/transfer slip.  They are also suppose to ensure the passport number on the passbook matches the passport number you are presenting to them.

Different banks and different provinces all seem to differ on what they will or won't accept. The OP raised a question which I had never given any thought to. Over 30 years and three different passport numbers. All my banks (three different ones) all have my original passport number from 30 years ago. I have used internet banking with two banks since it became available, and never had a problem transferring money or paying bills. Seems a little late for me to tell them now ?

23 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Don't need to do it, they don't care. Only ultra sensible people so this. It makes zero difference to anything and is NOT  a requirement.

NOT TRUE!  I wanted to transfer some money from a fixed deposit a/c to a savings a/c in a branch in Central. When I produced my new passport they said "cannot do! Number not same. Must go to main branch, change passport number.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, jphasia said:

It makes a difference for the internet banking. Especially if your passport has expired. It happened to me. I was not able to login. I called the bank and they told me I need to update my passport informations to be allow to access my account online. Also, for the bank book.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Same happened to me as well so those saying do nothing don't know what they're talking about

Alan

On 8/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, jphasia said:

It makes a difference for the internet banking. Especially if your passport has expired. It happened to me. I was not able to login. I called the bank and they told me I need to update my passport informations to be allow to access my account online. Also, for the bank book.

I'm sure you mean register, rather than login, because once registered they have no idea if your passport expired or not.

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

NOT TRUE!  I wanted to transfer some money from a fixed deposit a/c to a savings a/c in a branch in Central. When I produced my new passport they said "cannot do! Number not same. Must go to main branch, change passport number.

If you want to transfer money from you own account, using a branch other than your home branch, then you can not.

At your home branch they only verify your signature

If you want to transfer money from you own account, using a branch other than your home branch, then you can not.

At your home branch they only verify your signature
No, i mean login, not register. I have been using internet banking for years already when this happened. As I said earlier, not sure if this was the true reason but this is the one they mentionned for not been able to login into internet banking.
Honestly, i am not sure to remember with which bank it happened as I am using Bangkok Bank, SCB, Krungsri with all internet banking.
One point for me is that I am travelling a lot and my passports rarely last a year due to full stamps and visas. It might be that i had done something that time (in a branch or whetever) and presented a passport that was not matching with their records and then was highlited in the system. Just a supposition.

21 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You need it when you make counter withdrawals , to get a new passbook or ATM card or for manager's letter to take to immigrations.

I regularly withdrawal 100K at the counter and many other types of transactions over a more than 15 yr period. Never ever regardless of type transaction at three different banks questioned my new passport number. 

Is it a good idea to have them update their records? Sure it is. But hardly required. 

11 minutes ago, jphasia said:

No, i mean login, not register. I have been using internet banking for years already when this happened. As I said earlier, not sure if this was the true reason but this is the one they mentionned for not been able to login into internet banking.
Honestly, i am not sure to remember with which bank it happened as I am using Bangkok Bank, SCB, Krungsri with all internet banking.
One point for me is that I am travelling a lot and my passports rarely last a year due to full stamps and visas. It might be that i had done something that time (in a branch or whetever) and presented a passport that was not matching with their records and then was highlited in the system. Just a supposition.

I had recently that I had to factory reset my phone, so had to reinstall my internet banking with Kasikorn.

For first time login I had to reenter my passport number, which failed, which I thought was because I received a new passport last year, and they had another number in their system.

Called the helpdesk and they said i should either update the passport number at the home branch, or enter the number they have on file.So expired passport or not didn't play a role obviously

I happen to have all my passports of the past 20 years still in my possession, and when they told me the first letter of the number they have on file, it turned out that it was not even a passport number issued by my country.

They then activated the internet banking app remotely, after I correctly answered a bunch of security questions.

The internet bank on my PC was never affected.

13 minutes ago, jphasia said:

One point for me is that I am travelling a lot and my passports rarely last a year due to full stamps and visas.

Which would make it impossible for them to know if you have a new passport, because the passport they have a copy from, will most probably not have passed the legal expiry date yet.

I've just updated my account details at SCB bank with my new passport number today with no problems - done in my local branch where I opened my account and took 10 minutes. I also went to the district transport office to update my details with them - issued with an updated 5 year Thai driving licence with new photo done for 55 baht - took half an hour. I checked with my wife's friend at the Amphur and she confirmed that my pink ID card and yellow Tabien Bahn information doesn't need updating. I know it's belt and braces and all that but this is Thailand and you just never know. It gave me something different to do for a couple of hours anyway!

On 8/9/2018 at 3:42 AM, Daryle said:

I was in the same situation with Krungsri. I went into a Bkk branch and they updated their system.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Same Same, they changed mine in a branch of SCB on Soi 11,  my branch is on Wireless.

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Before reading this thread i would never have had the idea of updating the passport number

When i used my new passport to withdraw money at Krungsri it was no problem, so i don't see a reason to update it

Not usually an issue for day to day transactions as you are also presenting a book/card etc, passport is secondary ID. It would probably be an issue if you lost your book/cards and presented other than the original passport to get replacement book/cards. The same usually applies to changing internet banking, they will want the original PP thats on file.

3 hours ago, Seeall said:

my PP expired... online banking same no change... SCB

Yes because until you physically take it in and show them they are not going to know it has changed. I don't think there is any use of your PP number online or check of anyway or at least it has never popped up for me.

The issue only arrives if you need to go into the branch and have to use your PP for some reason and they check and see it is different to what is on file. 

Ok...so this thread got me thinking about my passport/bank account status this past weekend.  

Wife and I were heading to Kalasin, for some shopping, a movie and poking around.  I gathered up my documents and required ID to make a stop at my BKK Bank branch, to bring things up to date (new passport a couple of months ago, but still have to carry both for various work Visa/WP's).

The bank was basically empty, I sat down and requested an update, because of my new passport. 

Bank manager (she) said: "no"...not need".  I paused.  I smile, and said: "Bank website and immigration need update,  What if I lose my bank card?"  Bank manager says: "I will give you new bank card".  I pause and smile, look at my wife (inside voice says: whattt the fick....)  I ask the bank manager: "what Id will you ask for?"  Bank manager says: I recognise you, will give you new".  A flurry of inside voice bitch slapping and Italian Toe Holds came down to....a smile and "no problem".  Painfully obvious the bank manager had no idea, or no intention to actually do any work.

Called BKK Bank customer service this morning.  They asked if it was ok for them to call the branch, and arrange an appointment to update documents.  

As many have indicated, throughout the thread......results depend on the people and the branch.  

16 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

As many have indicated, throughout the thread......results depend on the people and the branch.  

In other words in common with other institutions in Thailand (eg police, immigration, etc etc) rules will be enforced or not or found or not-in all cases to suit the purposes of the institution or an individual official.

TiT.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 9:47 PM, Maejo Man said:

Different banks and different provinces all seem to differ on what they will or won't accept. The OP raised a question which I had never given any thought to. Over 30 years and three different passport numbers. All my banks (three different ones) all have my original passport number from 30 years ago. I have used internet banking with two banks since it became available, and never had a problem transferring money or paying bills. Seems a little late for me to tell them now ?

same passport and same number for 30 years?  well, mine is AU and has a different number when renewed, mums was the same....

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

same passport and same number for 30 years?  well, mine is AU and has a different number when renewed, mums was the same....

Try reading my post again! I said I have had 3 passports over 30 years and three different passport numbers. Sheesh

Archived