UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

22 minutes ago, aright said:

Significant difficulties for the EU as well it would seem

Greece warns Brussels on Brexit: No-deal could trigger EU ECONOMIC MELTDOWN

GREECE has sent a shock warning to European Union bosses that they risk the economic and political stability of the bloc’s poorer countries while jousting with Britain over a possible no-deal Brexit.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1004816/Brexit-news-UK-EU-no-deal-Greece-economic-meltdown-warning-latest

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/17/greece-warns-no-deal-brexit-would-plunge-country-financial-political/

Now our turn to say ….oh Fearmongering ……?…. this time they can join the U.K. …. maybe helping Greece  debt to E.U. to pay ….? Now we know the procedure for a leaving Country ….?

Edited by david555

14 minutes ago, david555 said:

Greece warn the E.U. as they are rescued from bankruptcy by the E.U. ? ...? an now are just taken of the financial  infuse they where on …..I think more likely they fear to miss all those British tourist as soon their pound go even more down ….could that not be the real worry ? ?

No.

Of course there serious consequences for the EU.

Look at Ireland too!  The country is heavily dependent on exports to the UK.  It would likely go in to recession along with the UK.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I like the sound of him saying "he will teach the remainers a lesson they'll never forget" 

To quote: 

Nigel Farage is returning to frontline politics to challenge what he describes as Theresa May's "fraudulent" Brexit plan.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

And I will like the sound of This traitorous arse being hung drawn and quartered.

I have heard that they are removing the statue of Nelson from Travalgar Square, and replacing him with Lord Farage of Middlesborough.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, vogie said:

I like the sound of him saying "he will teach the remainers a lesson they'll never forget" 

What a stupid, polarizing statement.
Are the remainers not UK citizens? Remainers are the enemies of the UK? Farage really has the Goebbels

rhetoric on it. With such a demagogue, the UK will never overcome its deep division in society.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

What a stupid, polarizing statement.
Are the remainers not UK citizens? Remainers are the enemies of the UK? Farage really has the Goebbels

rhetoric on it. With such a demagogue, the UK will never overcome its deep division in society.

Are the remainers not UK citizens? Remainers are the enemies of the UK?

Of course Remainers are UK citizens but they are other things as well which Nigel covers...….

"They refuse to acknowledge the wishes of the majority of those who took part in that historic plebiscite of 2016 by voting to leave the European Union. As far as I’m concerned, this is the worst case of Stockholm syndrome ever recorded."

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

UK is starting fresh. The canadian trade deal took 7 years to negotiate, and i think you will find most take that long. Eventually there will be a deal, but the UK will experience a lot of pain in the meanwhile.

I have been following all the threads on Brexit, and have yet to see even a single pro Brexit poster with even the slightest economic or international finance knowledge necessary to even begin to understand the ramifications of a no deal Brexit. It is mostly xenophobic and emotional responses. The irony is that the blue collar class, who seem to make up a lot of the Brexiteers, will be the first to feel the impact and will be hit the hardest. They are whining that the government wont exit, and will be the first to whine when things go south as a result.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What are your formal and informal levels of education on economic and international finance knowledge which make you more qualified than myself or other Leavers to understand the ramifications of a no deal Brexit? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

UK is starting fresh. The canadian trade deal took 7 years to negotiate, and i think you will find most take that long. Eventually there will be a deal, but the UK will experience a lot of pain in the meanwhile.

I have been following all the threads on Brexit, and have yet to see even a single pro Brexit poster with even the slightest economic or international finance knowledge necessary to even begin to understand the ramifications of a no deal Brexit. It is mostly xenophobic and emotional responses. The irony is that the blue collar class, who seem to make up a lot of the Brexiteers, will be the first to feel the impact and will be hit the hardest. They are whining that the government wont exit, and will be the first to whine when things go south as a result.

UK is obviously already fully aligned in every respect- right down the line.  The argument doesn't cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

Actually the U.K. is probably too big to be a tax haven. A tax haven policy works well for small countries because they get more taxes from extra foreign companies settling in their country, than they lose from lower taxes on their own industry.

Right, so let's just accept that UK has nothing going for it shall we?  That it couldn't possibly recover from a recession?  That other countries which start from far more difficult positions can do it, but we can't.  That, all the business (most actually) that is not dependent on the EU will evaporate.

Remainers are right to point out there would be a severe recession imo, and that alone is enough for me to hit the abort button, but come on will you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Right, so let's just accept that UK has nothing going for it shall we?  That it couldn't possibly recover from a recession?  That other countries which start from far more difficult positions can do it, but we can't.  That, all the business (most actually) that is not dependent on the EU will evaporate.

Remainers are right to point out there would be a severe recession imo, and that alone is enough for me to hit the abort button, but come on will you?

I don't know which options leavers have in mind. It is up to them to articulate these options. I merely stated a basic economic fact: no big country is a tax haven because it is not a viable option for them, only for small countries. But I agree that a hard Brexit will probably result in lower taxes in order to cope with global competition resulting from multiple free trade deals.

Imo, I have no doubt the U.K. will recover from a recession. However I doubt that the economic model which will emerge from it will satisfy the anti-globalists and the people who currently feel they are left behind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brucec64 said:

In 7 years most  Brexiteers will be dead

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nauseus said:

The post that got that response was full of inaccuracies and assumptions. I don't need any more reasons than that.  

Apparently Brexiteers don't need reasons., period.

Edited by kwilco

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Commenting on a post but avoiding the main point of it completely to chip in with more economic-only argument is a typical remain ploy. Apart from your derogatory remarks and false accusations, you also label leavers as ignorant of  economics and finance. But you are wrong. I know many intelligent, educated and experienced people who decided to vote leave, even while being aware and acknowledging very possible economic hardship, in the short-term at least. As far as no deal goes then we don't know that yet but I don't think the EU can afford it either for very long.

True leavers are more concerned about the long-term preservation of the UK, as a nation, that is free of the political influence of an EU that is not fit for purpose as they see it. This issue rises above economics for them. 

If you had truly followed all the TV Brexit threads since the referendum then you not be allocating most of the whining to leavers. Whining=moaning and the term "remoaners" came about from the constant and continual (re)moaning of remainers since the result.

This is so sad......... the call to face adversity simply mirrors dictator after dictator in history as the lunacy of their plans becomes more and more obvious ......... of course this only applies to "true leavers" I wonder what happened to all those other leavers who thought it would usher in a golden age before they died.

It's alsoa quite clear that many leading leavers did not share Nauseus's pessimism

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/nobody-said-it-was-easy?utm_term=.jcy8bRGQx#.mkAan7oLK

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1