How safe is touring Thailand by motorbike?

sidjameson

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Could you give some specifics on why you think that based on your motorcycle touring experience in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:
1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Great idea so long as you keep off the roads!

Could you give some specifics on why you think that based on your motorcycle touring experience in Thailand?

How about accident statistics and the fact that about 75% of all killed are mc riders.

• Like 1

Nobody has yet mentioned pot holes that are big enough to damage a light cars suspension let alone toss a motorbike..... Especially with small diameter tires...Invisible in the rain & worse at night.....

A friend of mine rides with big bike groups....These guys have been riding many, many years.....They lose about one a year to m/c crashes.....

I rode for many years, owned/rode everything from small bikes to Ducati's & Goldwings......

I won't/don't ride here.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

Besides protective gear it is essential to have a real loud horn. Always be able to stop within the distance you can overlook. Avoid motorcycle lanes, use the center of the left lane. Last not least: Whatever is way behind of you cannot become dangerous.

Edited by fxe1200
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You want some specifics?

Well almost every Thai is a loveable kind decent person, until they get behind the wheel, or on a motorbike.

Then they become wild/ crazed idiots.

How do i know? A crazed idiot here made me paraplegic, thats how i know, and that happened only 1 kilometer from my home.

Neil, you should have asked TVF members before sitting on a bike...

Sorry, I know it's not a joking matter. Sorry again.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, maximillian said:

How about accident statistics and the fact that about 75% of all killed are mc riders.

The last I saw showed 94 out of every 100 road fatalities here were on motorcycles......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, maximillian said:

And how many of these people involved in these are riding well maintained vehicles including working brakes and lighting systems?

How many are wearing safety gear with CE certification?

How many have a license and can actually ride a bike to a level that is deemed acceptable to modern standards?

How many were riding in a safe manner at the time of the incident?

How many involved alcohol or drugs?

How many were riding defensively with correct lane positioning?

How many were riding beyond their skill level?

I don't know but I would be willing to wager not a whole lot of those 75% were doing things correctly and minimising risk.  One can't just take a statistic like the one you mentioned without giving it context to understand what it means. What was the percentage of single vehicle accidents? How many were in city traffic? Dropping in such a statistic is a cop out whether it is intentional or not.

Of most of the B roads I use for touring, I rarely see other bikes or cars like in built up areas. But as I mentioned in my original post, there are hazards. Never ride past your skill level and a rider must anticipate and assume the worst. In some ways riding a motorcycle in Thailand has benefits over the west, in others it is worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Nobody has yet mentioned pot holes that are big enough to damage a light cars suspension let alone toss a motorbike..... Especially with small diameter tires...Invisible in the rain & worse at night.....

A friend of mine rides with big bike groups....These guys have been riding many, many years.....They lose about one a year to m/c crashes.....

I mentioned potholes in my first post in this thread.

Most of the big bike groups I see on roads in thailand act like they are Valentino Rossi and ride accordingly. They leave very little distance between each other for braking or defensive steering. I'm not suprised by the rate of attrition.

I also see a not insignificant number of bike riders using slick tyres here. The irony on this is that racing tyres need to get up to a certain temperature before they work properly and help with traction. If they aren't at the working temperature, they are actually more dangerous than a standard modern road tyre. It is very hard to get racing compound tyres up to temperatures on most public roads - aside from maybe some of the great twisty roads in the mountains, but again the speeds you need to hit at times make it impractical for life longevity.

One tip might be, if you see someone riding on slicks in Thailand, steer very clear of them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I want to start at thread called "How safe is having unprotected sex in Thailand?"

and then read everybody's experience on that subject. :cheesy:

That's just scratching the surface for starters?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Very inexperienced but always cautious rider. Never takes risks on the bike. Daytime riding. Always under the speed limit.

Am I signing my own death certificate? 

My take is after doing trips all over as said it's safe just keep wits about you as already rightly said.

If you have got to be aware of the bad road users habits your good to go.

I always say in the many take cares,  watch out and treat everyone as an idiot, at bends and blind hills, at traffic lights, traffic from side turns, give yourself space whenever possible, avoid night riding on roads you don't know. 

I ride a lot around Pattaya but as i go further out different rules seem to apply. Thais like overtaking on bends, motorbikes are encouraged out of the road into the left side. Pick ups will race past you from nowhere at break neck speed and of course the issues of people drink driving more evident at night and early morning. Good luck

There should be a rule that when asking a question on a forum, you give your age and what country you are from.

Obviously there is more of a learning curve for someone from the USA having to deal with riding on the other side of the road and over coming a lifetime of muscle memory. The first few days or weeks can be a lot of fun.:shock1:   

I guess by "motorbike" you mean a scooter because if you have little or no experience with a shifting, turning and stopping a motorcycle you will just apply the front brakes while turning and drop the bike like in 10 seconds after you get on it.  :clap2:

I have ridden 27,000 kilometers on my Kawasaki 650 all over Thailand.  

Every road trip is planed right down to every detail, sometimes months in advance.

I have way points for stopping every 100 kilometers. 100% focus on riding. 0% on worrying about where or when to stop.

I approach every ride like it is a life or death mission because the Thais are trying to kill you. :clap2: They don't care about anything except getting in front of the car or bike that is in front of them. On coming traffic is the biggest game of chicken with cars pulling out in to your lane, 24/7. It never stops. Any lapse in concentration on your part and you are dead.

Everyday is the same. You never magically have enough experience where you overcome the madness.  There are just too many of them coming at you from all sides.

As for age you really need to get your ego out of the equation because you will die if you get triggered. You can not react emotionally. So young guys have to stow the alpha wolf sh*t.

OK. Have fun on your trip and post some photos.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Besides protective gear it is essential to have a real loud horn. Always be able to stop within the distance you can overlook. Avoid motorcycle lanes, use the center of the left lane. Last not least: Whatever is way behind of you cannot become dangerous.

My friend died last year large touring bike, experienced, full protective gear. He got the wobs went down and hit a wall. No other vehicle involved. Slightly down the highway he would have been in a field and probably ok.

you really need to get your ego out of the equation because you will die if you get triggered. You can not react emotionally. So young guys have to stow the alpha wolf sh*t.

I'm not sure its just the young guys. The way i like to see it is you need to control the urge to speed

My friend died last year large touring bike, experienced, full protective gear. He got the wobs went down and hit a wall. No other vehicle involved. Slightly down the highway he would have been in a field and probably ok.
Plenty of obstacles in the road, you have to look down almost as much as everywhere else

20 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

There should be a rule that when asking a question on a forum, you give your age and what country you are from.

Yeah people driving on the wrong side of the road here doesn't mean they come from another country. ?

The tourist cyclists in our village do it a lot unless therewith a Thai guide.

As said there's very few places I've haven't been in Thailand a lot of them on a CB400 & a Versys 650 motorbike I had and yeah had a few near misses but never as many as had or use to in England.

There's a lot of over the top remarks here IMHO.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Just bring a good helmet with you, if you have one. Or you can buy one here before starting your trip.
Good helmet, gloves and boots/shoes are a minimum requirement.

As above, just expect the unexpected, keep the speed down and you will have a blast. Best way to see the country I think [emoji846]

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk