Video: Pick-up hits 30 million baht McLaren - one of only three in Thailand

webfact

19 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

In North America, the value drops about 1/3 off the sticker price once the car hits the road.  Does anyone know what the drop is here.

Also, I am willing to bet that a bank is now trying to get ahold of the owner.  Ther person driving this I am willing to bet DID NOT OWN IT.  They like people that have a house had an agreement to make payments to the bank for the ability to drive it.

People talk about the pickup having lax brakes you forget that they are made to be driven at a safe speed and distance.  This is something that most people Thai and others do not understand.

Does anyone here know what the 3-second rule is? 

How many Thais do you think know it?

I do , just a sec.  Damn now only 2 left.

16 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Too bad the McLaren and Benz didn't collided, totaling each other ? That could have been the most expensive accident between 2 cars in Thailand :cheesy:

to me is a no post. the mclaren had good brakes and so did the merc which sounded grunty so may be a good one, mercs have made some decent motors lately. just the breaks on his pick up were not up to task. that is all

Edited by Happy enough
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanLC said:

If the McLaren driver had been competent he would have seen the impending rear end knock and moved forward a few feet (he had the space) to avoid it.  Complete lack of situational awareness.

the pick up drove into him. the mclaren was already at standstill?

Edited by Happy enough

18 minutes ago, maccastime said:

Doing 110-120 wow must have had the hand brake on?

SEE.........................just what I was thinking , something about a Benz racing a big Mc. Not 120 MPH but ks.  I race the odd Benz in my Vios , well not so much race as not let in when the driver wants to change lanes because the driver is in the wrong one.  You know the sort of thing . Stopped at a red light behind 3 cars , Benz behind a 10 wheeler , lights change and wants to edge in..................or is it just me ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's a total ride off that's why he's not upset, insurance will pay him out the 30 Million in about a weeks time?

i cant see it being a right off it only got a little tap. besides which the insurance will only pay out about 80% of the value of the 30m

Edited by catman20

7 hours ago, assayer said:

A couple thousand baht at the neighborhood body shop and all is well

My local body shop is truly brilliant- fantastic job. Not sure they could cope with carbon fibre .

I don’t quite understand the need for these cars- and the acceleration etc .

However I like the fact that they support hundreds of jobs back in Blighty .

41 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

People talk about the pickup having lax brakes you forget that they are made to be driven at a safe speed and distance.  This is something that most people Thai and others do not understand.

Does anyone here know what the 3-second rule is?  

How many Thais do you think know it?

I challenge you to try to keep to the 3 second rule on a Thai road.  Sounds great in theory, but it doesn't work.  Frankly, it doesn't work on a crowded road "back home", either.

If you leave even a 1 second gap, someone is going to jump into that gap and then you're even worse off than had you left a smaller gap.  The optimum following distance in traffic is one where nobody else is going to try to wedge themselves into that gap.  Which, of course, leaves you vulnerable to rear ending someone if they slam on the hooks.  But that's still safer than having someone jump in front of you, then lay on the brakes before you can even react.

14 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i cant see it being a right off it only got a little tap. besides which the insurance will only pay out about 80% of the value of the 30m

That went straight over the top, was meant to be a joke.

As for insurance, they will cover his scratch and chase the negligent driver in the pick up for it.

who can really say the superwrecks were actually speeding 'that' much? 

the footage was from some old plastic car with fluffy doll on dashboard fishbowl plastic cam 

and all the other traffic was travelling quicker than the cam car dawdling along in the Right lane...

id' be awaiting a Police forensic exam on what the speed was?... otherwise the Insurers will have a field day with retractions - based upon guestimations alone!

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

who can really say the superwrecks were actually speeding 'that' much? 

the footage was from some old plastic car with fluffy doll on dashboard fishbowl plastic cam 

and all the other traffic was travelling quicker than the cam car dawdling along in the Right lane...

id' be awaiting a Police forensic exam on what the speed was?... otherwise the Insurers will have a field day with retractions - based upon guestimations alone!

it's a mclaren. doesn't work the same way as it does with my honda. the mclaren driver did nothing wrong. they'll fix it

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

I challenge you to try to keep to the 3 second rule on a Thai road.  Sounds great in theory, but it doesn't work.  Frankly, it doesn't work on a crowded road "back home", either.

If you leave even a 1 second gap, someone is going to jump into that gap and then you're even worse off than had you left a smaller gap.  The optimum following distance in traffic is one where nobody else is going to try to wedge themselves into that gap.  Which, of course, leaves you vulnerable to rear ending someone if they slam on the hooks.  But that's still safer than having someone jump in front of you, then lay on the brakes before you can even react.

I always try to leave plenty of room between me and the vehicle in front. Knowing how bad the standard of Thai driving is I don't care if cars and bikes jump in as I am still much safer and it makes very little difference to my total traveling time.

If you are so close that you cannot easily fit a car between your car and the one in front you are far too close to stop in an emergency. If you leave a big enough gap it is far safer even if it gets taken advantage of. Remember it is a timed gap not a fixed distance. In slow traffic you bunch up, on a fast motorway you need a very large gap - which the pickup driver and most Thais, don't realise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlanLC said:

If the McLaren driver had been competent he would have seen the impending rear end knock and moved forward a few feet (he had the space) to avoid it.  Complete lack of situational awareness.

What BS. How would the McLaren driver be able to judge the speed of the oncoming pickup to know how far he would have to move ahead to avoid him, and manage to do all this while he's emergency braking himself to avoid the car in front. Another attempt to move the blame from the incompetent pickup driver who either braked too late, was texting at the time, or was traveling too close to the car in front.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrDave said:

A 30 million baht McLaren 720s  has a base price of $288,000 USD, or  9,300,000 baht.

The rest (20,700,000 baht) must be import fees, duty and taxes? 

yes taxes. now do it in UKGBP to Thai baht since the car comes from england ; )

• Haha 1

As mentioned in Thai media already, the cost for repair is 2,4 million baht...seems like it some sort of expensive carbon fiber. Media also mentioned that the pick up driver only has mandatory insurance, but that the owner of the McLaren will cover his own costs. Nothing about the Camry though...