Thailand - Not for me

44 minutes ago, Hummin said:

hear more and more of the elder around where I live now, living here in Thailand with no insurance.

Most of the world doesn't have insurance.

It's a white American obsession, white Brits don't worry so much, white Euros hardly bother at all.

Essentially it's a marketing scam the USA tries to press onto the white world.

Non-whites don't seem so susceptible.

I've not bothered for about 10 years now, after I paid for years, then made a claim and they didn't pay.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the world doesn't have insurance.

It's a white American obsession, white Brits don't worry so much, white Euros hardly bother at all.

Essentially it's a marketing scam the USA tries to press onto the white world.

Non-whites don't seem so susceptible.

I've not bothered for about 10 years now, after I paid for years, then made a claim and they didn't pay.

You made a claim for what reason? 

Seems like you did not do your homework then!

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Depends on their perspective on life. 

I have a friend who lives the same as you describe, lives for today, high risk, uninsured, loves his drink, girls etc etc. Some may say your typical Pattaya person. 

His philosophy is he is going to enjoy life while he can and would rather live a full life now then limp along planning for a future that may never come. 

I’m not saying I agree with him totally but I can see understand some of his views. 

To each their own. 

Then I feel sorry for them! If that is what people call life! 

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

No need to feel anything for them, it’s their life to do as they choose. They probably feel the same way about you (us)

I have no idea why someone should feel sorry for me (us) I never stated anything about my lifestyle in TV yet. Except I have freedom to choose where, when and what! The famous WWW

49 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have no idea why someone should feel sorry for me (us) I never stated anything about my lifestyle in TV yet. Except I have freedom to choose where, when and what! The famous WWW

.....and so do they, but you're clearly not getting it are you so let’s just leave it there. 

Everyone goes about life differently. Some live for today, some for tomorrow. And the lucky few of us manage to do a bit of both. I have my eye on tomorrow but can't forget about today either. Just stopped off at a new bar, well new to me. Met up with the regulars, had 6 small beers, came home, made a sandwich for my little girl. Seems like a good thing to do a few times a week. 

• Like 2

Thailand is for me because even simple everyday things stimulate my mind. Its a constant "wow dude". Even when I have seen it 20x before, it still fascinates me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I have no trouble believing this. Thailand weather is particularly humid to the point it's  sometimes hard to breathe. I have never experienced something like this in North America or Europe even during the hottest days. In Thailand it's on the regular basis. 

there's no such thing like "Thailand weather".

• Like 1

When we first moved back to Thailand, I was in my late forties, and thought all I wanted was the ‘a’ la carte’ menu.
Now I’m older I realized what I want is the buffet.

Little bit of everything is a lot more enjoyable now.

Mix n match, US & Thailand that works for me now

3 hours ago, bannork said:

And then the rainy season.

It's almost like an inside joke, the monsoon season. Intimidating name, but what a wonderful time in northern Thailand. Warm showers clear the air, wash away the grime, and soon enough they are gone. Few tourists around, everything is super cheap,

I love the rainy season. And as we transition to winter, it's perfect temps. What a great time of year in a fabulous place ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

There are so many varying factors that there simply cannot be one straight answer of Better or Worse, Cheaper or Less expensive. 

I was just back in the States for a month plus with my wife. One key element that seems to be missed in these discussions are what folks like to do, where they live and personal activities they enjoy. If one just sits around and does very little living in a small home away from a city in the midwest I would agree that costs are the same.  However if you live in a more affluent state, are very active and prefer to travel around, Thailand is WAY less expensive.  Traveling in the U.S. is extremely expensive along with dining out and other various activities such as Golf, Going to the movies, etc.

In the end everyone's COL and POV will be heavily dependant on what the individuals needs and wants are and what they like and do.  We enjoy returning to visit the U.S., catching up with family, picking up some things and returning. We do that trip once every few years and that's just enough. We have zero assets in the US as when my wife and I visit we prefer landing anywhere we want versus returning to same place. That said though, one HUGE perk making Thailand home for us is my wife and I retired very early and this could not have happened had we stayed in the states. We would still be working today  and would have to for quite a few more years.  I wanted out early to enjoy life while still in great shape and able to do things.  It's far too easy to get stuck working in the states. We all get old and finally retire and sadly many are incapable to do much as their health starts to catch up to them.  

Really that’s totally true

I’ve said many many times, there is no single answer, since there are so many variables to each of our individual circumstances.

I’ve never tried to suggest that our circumstances would work for everyone, I just give you my experiences.

We still live in both countries, few months in Thailand then the rest in the US. 

Now I’m kinda lucky, the missus works for the Fed’s so everything here is easy.

As for cost. I’m sorry, I’ve looked at the numbers multiple times, and the story of Thailand being super cheap, just doesn’t pan out.

It may not be the answer you want to hear but thats my experience for better or worse

On 8/25/2018 at 11:19 AM, vinegarbase said:

There you go. I also don't know why anyone willingly puts up with the insane 90 day immigration nonsense and their insane address reporting regulations. Different strokes for different folks. I guess some don't mind being caged and herded. I enjoy freedom.

I object strongly to being treated like a criminal by having to do these ridiculous 90 day reports, but Thailand has much more positives than the UK, and that is why I am still glad to be living here.

"I guess some don't mind being caged and herded. I enjoy freedom."  You certainly do not come from the UK, if you want to enjoy freedom and not be caged and herded, then you would have to be like me and keep breaking their laws, which I did often enough when I lived there.????

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I object strongly to being treated like a criminal by having to do these ridiculous 90 day reports, but Thailand has much more positives than the UK, and that is why I am still glad to be living here.

"I guess some don't mind being caged and herded. I enjoy freedom."  You certainly do not come from the UK, if you want to enjoy freedom and not be caged and herded, then you would have to be like me and keep breaking their laws, which I did often enough when I lived there.????

My wife's secretary does my 90 day reports.  I only go to immigration once a year for a few minutes to renew my retirement extension.  That is the least amount of government contact I have had with any government since I was 18 years old.  

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I object strongly to being treated like a criminal by having to do these ridiculous 90 day reports,

Ya know I used to question the 90 day deal and thought they were a bit silly but could you imagine what trash would wash up on these shore without the control?. This place would be loaded with every down on their luck, poor homeless foreigner. If one thinks Pattaya is a seedy dump now, Imagine it with no controls and anyone can come and stay.....

Also with no ownership controls every hotel and beach front area would be owned by a foreigner and the low cost of hotel accommodations we enjoy now, would be gone.

5 to 10 minutes once every 90 days is easy cheesy....

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Object away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

My wife's secretary does my 90 day reports.  I only go to immigration once a year for a few minutes to renew my retirement extension.  That is the least amount of government contact I have had with any government since I was 18 years old.  

It is easier for some to do their 90 day report, and harder for others, a lot depends on how far you are

from your'e immigration office, not everyones wife has a secretary, or even a wife.

There are so many delusional people who actually think they are "guests" in this country, then like the criminal they are not, go to the IO and do their report.