Thailand - Not for me

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

my weekly shopping bill at Tops

There's the problem straight away, plenty of other shops, no need to go to the most expensive.

Why compare a premium Thai supermarket aimed at fleecing foreigners with a budget UK supermarket aimed at working-class Brits?

Edited by BritManToo

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's the problem straight away, plenty of other shops, no need to go to the most expensive.

Why compare a premium Thai supermarket aimed at fleecing foreigners with a budget UK supermarket aimed at working-class Brits?

Well that’s sort of the issue. I’m comparing like with like.

I like Tops, they have a great selection of products and great meat, fruit and vegetables.

Now I could do a side by side comparison of Lotus and Walmart grocery. That might actually be even more unfavorable to Lotus.

I’ve got no axe to grind here, and when I’m back in Thailand, we’ll be back shopping at Tops, but in terms of cost, if you want western quality you pay a premium and then the difference between farangland and Thailand evaporates really quick

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Supermarkets in Thailand are to some extent all premium shopping stores (with Tops and Rimping being the most expensive).

Tops premium shopping? :cheesy:  it can't provide half the quality and selection of Foodland, Friendship and of course Villa Market.

• Like 2

Makro has pretty much everything, no need for Tops. Freshly BBQ'd fish is my favorite market food 180bht ia a nice meal for 2 adults and child. They sell those fresh spring rolls for 50bht/pkg, a nice snack.

Tops is over the top for me, I don't need beef. We eat mainly seafood, occasionally chicken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

Tops premium shopping? :cheesy:  it can't provide half the quality and selection of Foodland, Friendship and of course Villa Market.

Those shops don't exist in Chiang Mai, so I've never been in them.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Naam said:

Just now, BritManToo said:

Those shops don't exist in Chiang Mai.

You should move to Pattaya then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Britmantoo is right . In some parts of Thailand Tesco lotus is seen as premium shopping ! Honestly if I lived in Thailand full time I’d grow my own vegetables and fruits for the most part . I used to have a local lady (where I had my house) who would grow the vegetables and fruit on my land , give me some and then sell the rest at the local market . Was a win win and the most delicious ,as close to organic taste I have ever had ! 

• Like 2

Isn't that part of the problem, unless you live in Bangkok or maybe Pattaya you're sort of limited.

So for us, if you wanted something not fly infested from the market, it's Tops, Lotus or BigC.

Lotus and BigC are basically identical, then you're were left with Tops as the nearest thing to a Western supermarket

• Like 1

TOPS, Villa, etc all differ from location to location. For example TOPS on Thonglor is much higher end than the one at All Seasons Place. I presume they differ based on what they are selling and the target market of the location. Truly exciting stuff.....

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I eat like a Brit, my weekly fresh vegetable run at my local market an hour ago was 100bht ($3).

(1Kg peppers, 1Kg potato, 1Kg tomato, 600gm onions)

Frozen carrots, peas, and chips I buy from Makro at around 60bht/kg.

Learn to cook, and you can eat any style of food you want for minimal cost.

P_20181014_174108.jpg

Sadly my local market rarely sells potatoes. Sometimes they sell peppers but the rest are pretty much always available as are Thai vegetables, some of which can be substituted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Isn't that part of the problem, unless you live in Bangkok or maybe Pattaya you're sort of limited.

So for us, if you wanted something not fly infested from the market, it's Tops, Lotus or BigC.

Lotus and BigC are basically identical, then you're were left with Tops as the nearest thing to a Western supermarket

1.  Check locations Makro and Lotus or use one of the delivery services like the ones advertised on Thai Visa.  2.  Learn how to cook Sous Vide so you can use Australian beef.  3.  Buy an over that will steam and reach high temps so you can cook pizza at home.  Get Pedro's mom to teach your wife how to cook Tex Mex.  The high speed trains should be running from Bangkok in a few years and the roads are getting better daily so it's not difficult to shop in Bangkok once a month. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It really all comes down to how you decide to live. We’ve got friends, who go down the total Thai lifestyle, and yeah it’s cheap.

Just neither of us wanted to live that way, and probably as we get older even less so

There's also the trend of the Thai food ingredients being more and more CP produced bottom of the barrel processed crap, which means your average Thai meal is just about unhealthy as it gets. For those interested, check out "Chef's Table" in Netflix, the episode about Bo Lan in BKK. There's a Thai lady owner of the restaurant that's battling with the same issue, substandard ingredients everywhere. She seemingly went as far as finding her own farmers up north to get the necessary quality.

Her words carry a bit of weight as she was elected Asia's best female chef once: http://www.bolan.co.th/2014/en/OurStory/WhoIsWho

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

how many poor Thais are participating in this discussion about shopping?

None , I was just refering to Britmantoo post and the responses to them.  

"Britmantoo is right . In some parts of Thailand Tesco lotus is seen as premium shopping"

If you want to live cheap , do your shopping where the locals go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

1.  Check locations Makro and Lotus or use one of the delivery services like the ones advertised on Thai Visa.  2.  Learn how to cook Sous Vide so you can use Australian beef.  3.  Buy an over that will steam and reach high temps so you can cook pizza at home.  Get Pedro's mom to teach your wife how to cook Tex Mex.  The high speed trains should be running from Bangkok in a few years and the roads are getting better daily so it's not difficult to shop in Bangkok once a month. 

when i read "cooking" a steak in a water bath i feel like

For example, on average, traditionally cooked steak loses up to 40% of its volume due to drying out. Steak cooked via precision cooking, loses none of its volume.

kotz.gif