Thai maid steals valuables worth 500k THB from American tourist, buys car with the proceeds

rooster59

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Police say that in total 464,000 baht worth of valuables were stolen from Ms Nguyen, who has now returned to the United States.

How fortunate that she had a second passport available with an entry stamp to enable her to depart legally........

It's called "emergency travel document" which you can get from your embassy to fly back home

• Like 2

Not good that it was stolen but better off stolen by a maid rather than having a gold bracelet, platinum necklace and bracelet and expensive handbag ripped off of her while she was wearing the items by a ladyboy or a motorbike riding thief.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, faraday said:

At 48 years old, Tracy must be completely stupid to leave all of her valuables in her room.

I'm more than a little suspicious that she left all her i.d. in the room.

Ok, a lapse of judgement to maybe leave cash, maybe. But passport etc....no, I think not.

Some people are as stupid as that; i've known a few.    You can't fix stupid !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Police say that in total 464,000 baht worth of valuables were stolen from Ms Nguyen, who has now returned to the United States.

How fortunate that she had a second passport available with an entry stamp to enable her to depart legally........

If she had reported the passport as stolen to the Thai police, for 20 baht she would get a receipt. She could then go to the US embassy and get either a new passport or an emergency travel document which would enable her to get back to the USA.

Edited by billd766
spellchecked again.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Something dodgy here,use the room safe[not 100% but better than nothing],or check the stuff in at reception and get a receipt.

My first thought too.

But now try to find whether this hotel has safes in each room.

I am astonished that hotels sites (this one useless anyway) or booking sites don't have this in their equipment list and filters.

I hate to have a room without a safe.

But still I would not travel or leave alone this big amount of cash.

Stupid but obviously rich.

She just flies home and wants to come back :blink:

I am always amazed at what people leave in hotel rooms. I always put my valuables in my luggage and lock it up. Granted, if someone really wanted to, cutting a luggage lock is not a hard thing to do. But, it is a deterrent. And in the many years of travel, I have never once had it happen. Never lost anything. Just a simple precaution. I trust my locked luggage over a room safe. 

Why would anyone put someone earning $10 a day in the position of having to wrestle with that kind of temptation? Why take that kind of risk? Is it possible this is an insurance scam of some sort?

Lastly, why do these Pattaya officials keep mentioning the good reputation of Pattaya? What planet are they living on? Are they truly that delusional, or is that just something they have to say? 

2 hours ago, connda said:

Perhaps for the same reason as I stay in 800 to 1000 THB hotels - it's a place to sleep when I'm not out sight seeing.  Unless you're hanging out in your room, why shell out that sort of jack for a place to sleep?
Oh well, as my mom would say - "Must be the Scottish in me."  <laugh>

Connda,

But the point being carrying so many valuables she could have picked a higher standard of hotel with more upscale security measures.

I also when out and about am looking for bargains, regards accommodation, not 400-500 baht but 1000-2000 baht in the cities, but I also do not take expensive items with me!

Must be the Northerner in me!

• Like 1

Well,

The Agoda website says it has 24-hour security, 24-hour front desk, in room safes etc. It also provides SAFETY DEPOSIT BOXES at reception!

So the woman must be a clown or more money than sense to not even take the most basic precautions regarding her valuables.

https://www.agoda.com/vogue-pattaya/hotel/pattaya-th.html?checkin=2018-09-04&amp;los=1&amp;adults=1&amp;rooms=1&amp;cid=1744576&amp;tag=be06577d-5d0b-b4da-3c77-e626bae068e3&amp;searchrequestid=2b788dd2-438e-42af-8af3-584caa8ad038#nohash

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, lanista said:

I wonder why a well off  Vietnamese woman was floating around Pattaya? Married to a wealthy yank?

Why was she there in Pattaya of all places.

Would make an interesting story.

You don't know that she is Vietnamese!!. Your 'wealthy yank' could be the Vietnamese with that name.  And you don't even know if she is married.

6 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

You don't know that she is Vietnamese!!. Your 'wealthy yank' could be the Vietnamese with that name.  And you don't even know if she is married.

It does say MS tracy Nguyen, so that infers she is NOT married, but probably of Vietnamese extraction..........still stupid though.

Jesus.. the entire lot of expats posting acidic comments here about the victim of this crime... "stupid her".. "brainless she".. "idiot who leaves valuables in room"..

I can smell the stink of jealousy and resentment in these keyboard warriors as they spitefully type and type and type and type their comments here. I certainly get it. Some of you can't afford to buy diamonds and jewellery. There is no need to malign Ms Nguyen for her loss.

She left a "do not disturb" sign on the door. She is entitled to decide whether or not to leave her valuables and documents in her room and to expect the implied privacy of a do not disturb sign. Labeling her stupid, negligent or an idiot is uncalled for. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

With that kind of cash and valuables, why does she choose to stay in an 800 baht a night hotel in Pattaya Klang?

She could have chosen something far more secure and upscale where they really take care and look after their customers.

If only people had a clue prior to posting on thai visa it would have been so much better .

vogue is not in Pattaya Klang and not 800 per night.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

So Tracy you came here for a holiday and left your brains and common sense in the States..... Doh.

What did the theft victim do wrong? She dared to travel with her ear rings and some cash to Thailand? 

Had she been robbed on Beach Rd, you'd say she didn't have enough common sense to NOT wear jewelry in public, basically, no matter what she did, it is her fault, and not the thief. In your books we should treat Thailand like Mogadishu or Kabul, Afghanistan, ladies should not travel with ear rings, hand bags and cash. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

What did the theft victim do wrong? She dared to travel with her ear rings and some cash to Thailand? 

Had she been robbed on Beach Rd, you'd say she didn't have enough common sense to NOT wear jewelry in public, basically, no matter what she did, it is her fault, and not the thief. In your books we should treat Thailand like Mogadishu or Kabul, Afghanistan, ladies should not travel with ear rings, hand bags and cash. 

What did the theft victim do wrong?

It ia plainly obvious what she did wrong, she left valuables/ documents in a room for anybody to steal that is what she did wrong.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am always amazed at what people leave in hotel rooms. I always put my valuables in my luggage and lock it up. Granted, if someone really wanted to, cutting a luggage lock is not a hard thing to do. But, it is a deterrent. And in the many years of travel, I have never once had it happen. Never lost anything. Just a simple precaution. I trust my locked luggage over a room safe. 

Why would anyone put someone earning $10 a day in the position of having to wrestle with that kind of temptation? Why take that kind of risk? Is it possible this is an insurance scam of some sort?

Lastly, why do these Pattaya officials keep mentioning the good reputation of Pattaya? What planet are they living on? Are they truly that delusional, or is that just something they have to say? 

If anyone wants your valuables in that case, they will just take the whole suitcase away and cut the lock off somewhere else 

This thief must have known their was cctv outside the rooms and she still did it anyway.... 

2 hours ago, mvdf said:

Jesus.. the entire lot of expats posting acidic comments here about the victim of this crime... "stupid her".. "brainless she".. "idiot who leaves valuables in room"..

I can smell the stink of jealousy and resentment in these keyboard warriors as they spitefully type and type and type and type their comments here. I certainly get it. Some of you can't afford to buy diamonds and jewellery. There is no need to malign Ms Nguyen for her loss.

She left a "do not disturb" sign on the door. She is entitled to decide whether or not to leave her valuables and documents in her room and to expect the implied privacy of a do not disturb sign. Labeling her stupid, negligent or an idiot is uncalled for. 

Agreed... She was naive at worst...

There are many here who have and will continue to blame the victim.

What is the tourist to do? Wear their jewellery or carry it & risk robbery. Leave in the safe? We read reports of hotel safes being robbed too....

Ultimately we run the risk of being owned by what we own and then judged by those who fail to see balance or compassionate understanding. 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

If only people had a clue prior to posting on thai visa it would have been so much better . 

vogue is not in Pattaya Klang and not 800 per night.

That would be cheaper than my cheap charlie place nearby (850 offseason) :biggrin: where I can see the Vogue from the balcony. A quite big place, only a few years old.

As I wrote I could not find info about security at the Vogue but another member has.

As I assumed a safe at the reception and a room safe too.

Stupidity or all made up?

"in Pattaya Klang": another highlight in reporting.

Of course makes many think it is ON Pattaya Klang road which it is not.

Why can't they write central Pattaya which is less misleading?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That would be cheaper than my cheap charlie place nearby (850 offseason) :biggrin: where I can see the Vogue from the balcony. A quite big place, only a few years old.

As I wrote I could not find info about security at the Vogue but another member has.

As I assumed a safe at the reception and a room safe too.

Stupidity or all made up?

"in Pattaya Klang": another highlight in reporting.

Of course makes many think it is ON Pattaya Klang road which it is not.

Why can't they write central Pattaya which is less misleading?

If anything it’s closer to Pattaya tai than to Pattaya Klang?

Then being on 3 road makes it little out of the way from Central 

Nevertheless, hotel is about 7.5 years old , owned by Thai Chinese , not too sure of managed in-house or contracted out to management company.

The entire block was built by the same owner .

Not that you care but I thought I showcased my knowledge ???

10 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

..., when she will be bringing with her an Audemars Piguet lady's watch, a Cartier diamond tennis bracelet and another $20,000 in cash.

...and "again" let it unsecured in her 600thb room at a 3 Star Hotel - it just doesnt add up...

Edited by ttrd