Police clampdown on underpass speeding nets 60, top flight hits 167km/h

webfact

Police clampdown on underpass speeding nets 60, top flight hits 167km/h

By The Phuket News

1535611028_1-org.jpg

Officers check the camera for motorists speeding on the bypass road near the Darasamut Underpass. Photo: Wichit Traffic Police

PHUKET: A record 60 drivers have been fined for speeding on the bypass road near the Darasamut Underpass, with one motorbike rider clocking a top speed of 167km/h.

However, the speeding motorcyclist was not fined because the cameras are set to catch vehicles from front on only – meaning that the license plates on any motorbikes speeding are not caught on camera.

The 60 drivers caught speeding on the section of road past the Big C shopping centre, where motorists exit and enter the underpass, is a record for August, Capt Siripong Suriyan of the Wichit Traffic Police told The Phuket News today (Aug 30).

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-clampdown-on-underpass-speeding-nets-60-top-flight-hits-167km-h-68441.php#XUMH4C7odru3cRQr.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-30

" However, the speeding motorcyclist was not fined because the cameras are set to catch vehicles from front on only – meaning that the license plates on any motorbikes speeding are not caught on camera. "

So he was double lucky, since use of the underpass is not allowed for motorbikes.

"However, the speeding motorcyclist was not fined because the cameras are set to catch vehicles from front on only – meaning that the license plates on any motorbikes speeding are not caught on camera."

yeah like getting off your ass to catch the guy never enters anyone mind. good thing too because I go 160 KPH sometimes. :shock1:

Police just can't be bothered to follow anyone.

I saw enough motorcycles slowing down at the police control and the moment the police though they will stop they accelerated away.

I never saw even one police officer following anybody

They just collect money from the next one, that is so much easier then chasing the money.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the speeding motorcyclist was not fined because the cameras are set to catch vehicles from front on only – meaning that the license plates on any motorbikes speeding are not caught on camera.

how hard is it to set a camera on the other side of the overpass? or radio an officer at a nearby junction to net violators.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw enough motorcycles slowing down at the police control and the moment the police though they will stop they accelerated away.

They just collect money from the next one, that is so much easier then chasing the money.

The police, just like most Thais, are incapable of handling a vehicle at most speeds let alone in a high speed pursuit , so just as well they don't chase people as the death toll would be higher.  Anyway can't imagine any high speed pursuit in a standard 2 litre highway patrol camry.   Mind you I guess if they think only 167 kph is fast , then they are in seventh heaven in their crap police pick-ups.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know I wouldn't want police chasing motorists for these kind of offenses.

Years ago in the US, an acquaintance was going to sell his really nice Norton 850 Commando motorcycle.  He took it for a last joy ride with a buddy on back.  A cop pulled them over for speeding at around 140 kph. He explained the circumstances and the cop let him off without a ticket.  Cop was impressed that they were doing 90 MPH and pulling away from him, LOL.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: A record 60 drivers have been fined for speeding on the bypass road near the Darasamut Underpass, with one motorbike rider clocking a top speed of 167km/h.

The other 143 paid the tea money at the roadside and went on their merry way........:giggle:

The cameras connect to a system that can identify the licence plate of a vehicle and then search the Phuket Land of Transport Office (PLTO) database, with the fine sent automatically to the registered owner of the vehicle, Capt Siripong explained

Is there a nation-wide system or can the PLTO's database only identify numbers registered in Phuket?

On 8/30/2018 at 3:20 PM, stevenl said:

" However, the speeding motorcyclist was not fined because the cameras are set to catch vehicles from front on only – meaning that the license plates on any motorbikes speeding are not caught on camera. "

So he was double lucky, since use of the underpass is not allowed for motorbikes.

The officers taking the reading could have noted the rego number and followed up? 

In OZ now they have special cameras to take front and rear pictures it has been known to remove smirks and <deleted>"kwits like this 

Archived