Dvd's

blubythebay

Hello All,

Anyone know of a place to rent DVD's that has a good selection of titles. I know there are many, many stores, but the selection of DVD's is limited to Hollywood blockbuster action movies.

I like AUA, but sometimes would like to see something a little more current.

Is anyone interested in setting up a private exchange group where no one would get stuck buying a bunch of DVD's and watching them one time. if so, PM and we can try to work out something.

I know the Night Bazaar sells "DVD's", but I have heard it's very easy to get ripped off. If you know of another place to purchase that would be great!

Cheers,

blubythebay

The shop next to DK books had a good selection, but they have now moved to the Chang Phueuk side of the moat (inside).

Could you please be a little more specific? I know where the Chang Puak gate is...do you mean across the street inside the moat along the big road that runs parallel to the moat or the street that takes you inside the moat.

Hope that makes sense!

There is still a DVD store where DK books is.

Hello All,

Anyone know of a place to rent DVD's that has a good selection of titles. I know there are many, many stores, but the selection of DVD's is limited to Hollywood blockbuster action movies.

Is anyone interested in setting up a private exchange group where no one would get stuck buying a bunch of DVD's and watching them one time. if so, PM and we can try to work out something.

I know the Night Bazaar sells "DVD's", but I have heard it's very easy to get ripped off. If you know of another place to purchase that would be great!

Cheers,

blubythebay

u want to rent DVD's ?

one word... Tsutaya

Thailand's equivalent of Blockbuster Video.. There's branches all over Chiangmai.

Hello All,

Cheers,

blubythebay

u want to rent DVD's ?

one word... Tsutaya

Thailand's equivalent of Blockbuster Video.. There's branches all over Chiangmai.

price is suggestive ,

but is common for a dvd to price at about 200baht in asia .

rental would be about 40-100 baht depending on where you get it .

the DVD shop near change puek now ( formally at DK bookshop )

should have the largest collection of DVD and classic and alot of great movie .

There near the Somphet soup rice shop .. just beside a small drug store .

you can also see a VAN that look like it got smash on the side during an accident park next to the shop

if you have problem finding the place - PM me i will draw you a map .

Here a Rough Map of the DVD shop - Take Note .

if you coming from the outer ring - which passes the CHang Puek market on your left . you make a U-turn AFTER you passes the Chang Puek GATE -

The SHop is really 3 store away after the U-turn . so yuo must KEEP extremly after you turn . if not you might miss it .

here a Map - if you still lost . you better buy me a beer and i will send you there

if you know the FAMOUS " JOKE SOMPHET ( is the name of a FOOD SHOP that sell Bake chicken and thai style Congee )

The DVD shop is really 3-4 store away . the joke somphet is right at the U-Turn .

dvdshop-map.gif

Edited by Ta22

Reminder: Please restrict this discussion to legal DVDs not infringing copyright as per the forum rules.

I have made a few posts invisible as they refer to places that deal exclusively in illegal copies. The discussion of the shop at Chang Puek has been left only because I have not visited the new site. At DK books, they stocked, almost exclusively, illegal copy DVDs.

The ONLY places I have come across that I know for sure deal only in legitimate DVDs are the Tsutaya chain, found primarily in the large Supermarkets, Tesco Lotus, Carrefour etc. around town and at Neo Entertainment Gallery almost next to the big new fitness center on the fourth floor of Central Airport Plaza.

Reminder: Please restrict this discussion to legal DVDs not infringing copyright as per the forum rules.

I have made a few posts invisible as they refer to places that deal exclusively in illegal copies. The discussion of the shop at Chang Puek has been left only because I have not visited the new site. At DK books, they stocked, almost exclusively, illegal copy DVDs.

The ONLY places I have come across that I know for sure deal only in legitimate DVDs are the Tsutaya chain, found primarily in the large Supermarkets, Tesco Lotus, Carrefour etc. around town and at Neo Entertainment Gallery almost next to the big new fitness center on the fourth floor of Central Airport Plaza.

At one time in the past, this may have been true, but for quite some time, there were no illegal copies at all for rent when the store was in front of DK. I went there almost every day for months and they were all legit.

I'm not saying that it wasn't possible to buy fake ones in the back from time to time, but the whole shop front was filled with the best selection of real DVDs available locally – including many imports.

It would be doing them and us a real disservice to not publicize this excellent DVD shop. :o

... for quite some time, there were no illegal copies at all for rent when the store was in front of DK. I went there almost every day for months and they were all legit.

I'm not saying that it wasn't possible to buy fake ones in the back from time to time, but the whole shop front was filled with the best selection of real DVDs available locally – including many imports.

It would be doing them and us a real disservice to not publicize this excellent DVD shop. :o

Note: I did not edit or hide any post relating to this shop.

I never rented a DVD from them, so can not comment on their rental stock. However many if not most of the DVDs for sale in the front of the shop were illigitimate copies, despite their claims to the contrary. (I used to know their supplier and was buying from him for 50 Baht the same DVDs they were selling for 250 or more.)

Apart from the above, I had quite a run in with them over a DVD I purchased for 500 Baht negotiated discount from 550 Baht. When I purchased it I took it straight back to my restaurant around the corner and unwrapped it. It was heavily scratched. I took it back to them and it transpired the "new" DVD I had purchased was, in fact, an ex rental.

They refused to refund my money and insisted I either accept the DVD purchased, which incidentally would not even play on their machine, or choose something else. It was only when I threatened to call the police that I received my refund in very bad humour.

I later purchased that very same DVD, same cover etc. from my friend for 50 Baht and he assured me the DVD they had tried to sell me was originally supplied by him..

I understood the original poster to mean videos other than the Hollywood blockbuster type. That's pretty much all you will find at Tsutaya. IN fact, I was there last night (Lotus Kam Thieng branch) and really couldn't find much worth watching. I would also like to find some better quality films.

By the way, I doubt the copies there are all legit. But I think the board goes "overboard" by censoring notes about patronizing formal businesses that may or may not be renting legit copies to their customers. I can see why a topic like "Where can I buy pirated videos?" would be axed. But whether or not Tsutaya or any other store is substituting counterfeits for genuine copies of videos to its renting customers is really a question for Tsutaya and the police. If the members of the board aren't expressing an illegal intention, I don't see th reason to edit.

Otherwise, by the same logic, no one should mention the Night Bazaar, which is full of counterfeit goods, Kad Suan Kaew, which has lots of shops selling all kinds of pirated goods, Panthip Plaza, or for that matter any computer shop.

In fact, I recently ate an American breakfast that tasted suspiciously Thai. Could have been a counterfeit. Don't worry, I won't mention the name of the place.

i'm a law abiding person who only wants to do the right thing all the time.

how do i know if it is legal or illegal. they all look the same to me.

except i know that after i buy one and take it home and play it and it looks like it was shot from a hand held vid cam in a theater in montreal... well then i know it is probably illegal. but otherwise?

i'm a law abiding person who only wants to do the right thing all the time.

how do i know if it is legal or illegal. they all look the same to me.

except i know that after i buy one and take it home and play it and it looks like it was shot from a hand held vid cam in a theater in montreal... well then i know it is probably illegal. but otherwise?

The only relatively sure way to know is to know your supplier. Purchase from Amazon and you will likely find it is genuine. Purchase from Neo at Airport Plaza and you can be equally sure - especially if you are there when the courier delivers from the USA etc. as I have been on more than one occasion. :o

Note: I did not edit or hide any post relating to this shop.

I never rented a DVD from them, so can not comment on their rental stock.

They got busted a while ago and from that point on all the rentals were legit. Unfortunately, that meant that almost no rental titles were "new" anymore, and when a newer legit title would first come into stock it had to be returned within 2 days and it still usually took weeks to get a look at it.

What a pain in the butt! :o