SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize prostitution?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize prostitution?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think we should start another survey:

What is the point of any law if the police does not enforce it?

How would the police officers make lots of money without collecting money for not enforcing the laws?

How do you propose they should enforce the current laws.  Streetwalkers are regularly rounded up, but then let go or fined minimally.  Should they be locked up?  Providing underage or trafficked prostitutes is treated more seriously, as the recent Bangkok massage case has shown.    Bars/gogos/massage places are regularly raided, and if found to be in breach of the rules, action is taken.  

It's a bit simplistic to just say "enforce the law".

They should also set minimum prices for different acts, starting at 500 baht for a handjob, 1,000 for a BJ, 2,500 for missionary, doggy or variations and 3,500 for anal. Any combination of 2 or more would receive a 10% discount. A 2-hour time limit with a 400 baht surcharge for each and every partial hour thereafter. One-half of the 400 baht per hour surcharge would the waived for longtime overnighters for a second performance with same terms as the original request. Condoms would be provided and must be worn and properly fitted.

All income would be taxable and SS benefits available upon retirement. Also, 1% of their income taxes would be allocated to a fund to pay for medical testing and treatment. There would be no dual pricing and any violation of the verbal contract for services rendered or received by either party is subject to a fine of 1,000-10,000 baht per violation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:
2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think we should start another survey:

What is the point of any law if the police does not enforce it?

How would the police officers make lots of money without collecting money for not enforcing the laws?

How do you propose they should enforce the current laws.  Streetwalkers are regularly rounded up, but then let go or fined minimally.  Should they be locked up?  Providing underage or trafficked prostitutes is treated more seriously, as the recent Bangkok massage case has shown.    Bars/gogos/massage places are regularly raided, and if found to be in breach of the rules, action is taken.  

It's a bit simplistic to just say "enforce the law".

I never mentioned they should just enforce the law.

My point is there is no point in discussing this while the police is totally corrupt. Prostitution, like gambling and drugs exist and the police is making a lot of money with all of it. With one more law maybe they make a little more money. And even if prostitution would be legal the police would still make tons of money by not enforcing other laws.

Legal or not, nothing will change. And I don't see any signs that anybody will reform the Thai police anytime soon.

The last thing the police want is legalization, because should it become legalized then the biggest money-losers would be the police. Laws in Thailand are never strictly enforced when money is at play, and nothing changes with legalization because it would then become regulated which is the same thing. Prostitutes would never pay taxes, they would never openly say they are whores and therefore it would continue being the business under the table and forever will be. We can all agree upon the morality of prostitution and how it degenerates a society and makes it lazy, sinful and attracts crime, spreading deceases and poverty. 

If the goal is to tame it, then the government and communities would need to focus on improving education, the economy and investments so that people chooses other means of income. Some says its part of thai culture, but I think many will forget that Buddhism actually teaches life is somewhat meaningless and therefore one shouldn't strive to become productive and creative, which is why they meditate to never experience human life again (Nirvana). Maybe that brings the question why Thais are lazy.

Edited by racket

I never mentioned they should just enforce the law.

My point is there is no point in discussing this while the police is totally corrupt. Prostitution, like gambling and drugs exist and the police is making a lot of money with all of it. With one more law maybe they make a little more money. And even if prostitution would be legal the police would still make tons of money by not enforcing other laws.
Legal or not, nothing will change. And I don't see any signs that anybody will reform the Thai police anytime soon.
And my point is that they are enforcing the law! Not perfectly, especially in rural areas, but pretty effectively in "farang" areas, all be it with exceptions (TIT).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Wow, it's illegal.

When did the law ever stop Thais doing whatever they want. 

To be very frank, what you say is the absolute truth. But, mind you the law fail stop many illegal things everywhere, not ONLY in Thailand.

Have a look here, at a minute example, just to widen your vision >>> https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prison-contraband-banned-items-jail-england-wales-a8519106.html

• Like 1

Isn't the second option wrong, as far as I know prostitution is not illegal in Thailand.

I think it should remain as current, because I have seen bar girls quit after sometime if they want to switch to another job which is a lot better for them than being registered as legal prostitute which could have negative impact on their future decisions.

Isn't the second option wrong, as far as I know prostitution is not illegal in Thailand.
I think it should remain as current, because I have seen bar girls quit after sometime if they want to switch to another job which is a lot better for them than being registered as legal prostitute which could have negative impact on their future decisions.
I agree. Legalizing it makes the girls professional prostitutes. The current situation is better for all concerned.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Since it’s been part of thai culture for decades , all is needed is just a piece of paper.

its not exactly underground or hidden.

Just less money for BIB and possibly more money for the government but then we would not want to make Thailand loook bad by recognising the facts