How much do you smile whilst living in Thailand?

bbabythai

46 minutes ago, starky said:

Is that the only 2 options? Is that the extent of your emotional facial expression smiling and frowning?Just asking. Goose. Can you be a little less condescending and superior or is that just how you act normally? Just asking. Glad you have the perception to be able to comment on the happiness level in a "place" with nearly 70 million people. Exaggerate much? Just asking. If you had read my posts I never once stated you shouldn't return a smile or not be genuine or friendly. What I said was I certainly don't walk around like a loen with a smile on my face smiling at every single person I encounter. Fycks sake. Don't know where you have been living for the past 4 years but I would debate the point that the people of Thailand are currently "mostly happy"

I didn't say it was the only two options... but i will say that smiling is the better option, maybe the best option... if you want to trash Thai people because they smile often and easily, that's up to you. I only suggested that since you are astute enough to have noted 13 different smiles, you might want to take a little time and assimilate into the culture and learn to distinguish the smiles... it isn't that difficult really. 

Your words were "grinning like an idiot" - - and yes, I find people genuinely nice and happier than any place that I have been... I live in the countryside - I can speak to them in their own language... and yes, it brings smiles and pleasant easy communication and more smiles... 

Not sure why you ask me about living here for the past 4 years... it is about 20 full time now and a 40+ year history... and if you walk around a bit happier, [the smile stays with you and can become part of a larger demeanor] you will likely find that you attract a lot more positive experiences... good luck in your future endeavors... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, balo said:

It's not easy to figure out which Thai smile is genuine or not. 

I try to smile to strangers and I know they will return smiles , because it's in their Thai genes.   

But that's it really , I never understood what a genuine Thai smile is.  I just assume they are genuine and move on from there . 

Hi Balo... you can often put some interpretation on the smile based on the situation... where I have seen some people go wrong is interpreting every smile from a lady as flirtatious... and some can be half flirtatious as just 'thanks for noticing me' - where people tend to think of it as ingenuous is when a Thai will smile to soften a confrontation or a nervous smile if they just screwed up... which can be frustrating if your food order is incorrect and you are annoyed and the waitress will smile or laugh out of nerves or not knowing what to do... 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, freebyrd said:

On my first night in Bangkok 30 years ago I had to massage my face before I went to bed as it was aching so much from smiling.

These days when I visit Thailand a smile doesn't even come into the equation. On the rare occasions when Thais raise their eyes from their mobile phones, most often I see looks bordering on contempt. The only time I see the once ubiquitous Thai smile now is in my hotel or when I go into a shop and even that isn't 100% guaranteed anymore. Sad really but technology seems to have turned most Thais and indeed most under 40's everywhere in the world into soulless robots.

If you get out into the countryside - - you might find it much more like the Thailand you encountered 30 years ago... 

People have more time and are still quite friendly.. 

10 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I come from the UK. I also have a naturally unsmiling face - particularly when I am reading, thinking, concentrating on work or other matters and I look like my father who had the same facial characteristics. Additionally, to smile wantonly at people in the UK is to invite a smack in the mouth, (a guy), or a complaint of sexual harrassment/intention or whatever, from all women. Smiling at kids is a 100% guarantee that you are, without doubt - a Paedophile and therefore shunned.

Now to your post. I have lived in Thailand for 13 years. I found that Thai people smiled at me a lot. I learned to smile back and even more than that, I learned to smile proactively.

The results have been astounding. I always smile if someone smiles at me - I think it is polite and friendly anyway. But the response I get from Thais if I smile first is one of the nicest things about this country.  From older and younger women, on almost every occasion, I receive an immediate smile in return. If I make an error while driving either my car or motorbike - a smile from me rewards me with a return smile - this from many males who appear to be quite tolerant of minor errors, providing you are not aggressive and foul mouthed. Where I work, I amn smiled at constantly throughout the working day. It makes me feel welcome and secure. I have never had thisexperience in any other country in all my long life!

So, yes. I smile a lot.I like to smile and I receive a lot of pleasure in getting a similar response. However, if I am reading, concentrating, etc., Thais seem to think I am angry or bad tempered. So I smile even more to aleviate that impression.  

excellent contribution to this thread. I enjoyed reading it

• Like 1

I smile if it’s something to smile about. But don’t run around town smiling at every corner. Always been that way and alsways walked around the neighborhood and said hello to the neighbors if they were 

outside.

Over the last 12 years in APAC seems a lot of neighbors don’t want  talk to each other. That’s ok. 

I think later in life if you let things dwell on you the frown grows instead of a smile. Easily fixed don’t let things in life bother you to that point. 

I like sitting around and shooting the shit with people and having a good laugh. Even more so after a couple of whiskeys on ice....

do do what you like and what makes you happy. 

I’m from the US and a Thai friend (many years in US) has a beer etc shop in town. Once a week a few get together for a couple of drinks. 

He told me once how the Brit didn’t like Margaret Thatcher.

i went on the internet had some picture of her mad. Wrote on them love you xx. Hung them on the patio we sit outside and when he came. We all laughed our asses off. 

Enjoy the day 

17 hours ago, starky said:

Well according to some "research"  I have read there are up to 13 varieties of Thai smile as part of their culture which means at any time there is only an 8% chance your getting the smile you think. However if you wish to walk around grinning like an idiot at every person you see. Well that's entirely up to you. Just as many fake smiles as genuine ones here.

Beware of the "Dummy Smile" ??

s-l200.jpg

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, dotpoom said:

One of the ways I choose whether to return to a coffee stall...or whatever....is whether they greet me with a smile or not. My view is...if they not look as if they are happy to see me (as a customer) then why should I give them my business. I'd rather give it to somebody who looks as if they appreciate it.

PS...Am not sure why they call it "LOS"...false smiles yes...but genuine smiles ..very little....more like "cranky" faces (especially when you ask a question in a store or similar situation).

I come from a country that should be called..."The Land of Genuine smiles and Warm Hearts"......IRELAND.

The Cranky Faces make me smile as its shows what an illusion this whole place is--LOS!?    land of cranky faces ?

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I didn't say it was the only two options... but i will say that smiling is the better option, maybe the best option... if you want to trash Thai people because they smile often and easily, that's up to you. I only suggested that since you are astute enough to have noted 13 different smiles, you might want to take a little time and assimilate into the culture and learn to distinguish the smiles... it isn't that difficult really. 

Your words were "grinning like an idiot" - - and yes, I find people genuinely nice and happier than any place that I have been... I live in the countryside - I can speak to them in their own language... and yes, it brings smiles and pleasant easy communication and more smiles... 

Not sure why you ask me about living here for the past 4 years... it is about 20 full time now and a 40+ year history... and if you walk around a bit happier, [the smile stays with you and can become part of a larger demeanor] you will likely find that you attract a lot more positive experiences... good luck in your future endeavors... 

Again stop putting words in my mouth. Show me where I have once trashed Thai people? If you are going to keep quoting me please respond accurately and to things I have actually said. All I have said is Thai people smile for a variety of reasons and I questioned falangs that walk around smiling at everyone all day every day as I don't know anyone that does that. You appear to be someone that wishes to be Thaier than Thai.I have been here 20 years too speak Thai and live in deep Isaan? So what? I would say the last 4 years have been extremely trying for the Thai populace and for you to claim they are all mostly happy is a nonsense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I smile more here than I do in the USofA. Even though I stay home most of the time. I invested here. It's my wife's home, but she says I can always stay here (as long as I don't bring any strange women home ?). Seriously though. I miss a lot of friends from College and some of my family, but this is home now. If my Lord, the Christian God continues to will it. (and only Medicare will make me go back ??).

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
mispl
  • Thanks 1

Americans actually smile about as much as Thais do. Both smile not because they're necessarily happy, but they put on these so-called fake smiles since it makes you look good in public.

Thais don't smile that much as Filipinos and people in other countries that are even more happy-go-lucky than Thailand is.

"Land of Smiles" is really just a tourism-promotion slogan. The Philippines should be the real Land of Smiles.

Americans actually smile about as much as Thais do. Both smile not because they're necessarily happy, but they put on these so-called fake smiles since it makes you look good in public.

Thais don't smile that much as Filipinos and people in other countries that are even more happy-go-lucky than Thailand is.

"Land of Smiles" is really just a tourism-promotion slogan. The Philippines should be the real Land of Smiles.

How does smiling make you look good in public?

On 9/2/2018 at 7:57 PM, MickGC said:

Your avatar always brings a smile to my face

One Huge benefit of smiling is that it makes the 'smiler' and the 'smilee' both feel good. Returning a smile is almost an involuntary action for humans.

I smile constantly at most everybody I make eye contact with in Thailand. Nearly everybody smiles back, though some seem more bemused than others. Some Thais seem to be very happy to see me smiling, almost as if they somehow take some of the credit for their country making me smile. It is a way of sharing a  transient bond of feeling good about life that's transcends social and international boundaries. Both people involved 'get it'.

Please note that I am speaking of genuine smiles that have good will behind them. Nearly all of us know a fake or predatory smile when we see one.

• Like 2